Carpe Universum Demo

Carpe that Universum

Moderators: th15, Moderators

bl3d4
Commander
Commander

Post by bl3d4 »

Its a great gmae but rolling doesn't seem to make ME invincible....
Only power charge works for me.
Still, PRESS ON th15 !!!!
Question:
Why can't i freaking delete it! My com says its password protected!
And BTW mine won't start. I think ill have to restart my com.
We are bits of stellar matter that got cold by accident, bits of a star gone wrong.
- Sir Arthur Eddington
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
-- Chapman Cohen
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Just put up a new version of the demo. The music effects work now and the combo system has been simplified to 3 button combos. You only have to press two directions then the fire key now.

Do let me know how you guys feel about the combo system and the scoring system.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

I'll go Try it now.
Griffin999
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Griffin999 »

wow, big improvement, like the combo system
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

The Carpe Smells of Cycerin. But anyways good game so far. Any chance theres a way to change the keys? If there isn't thats ok too.
Like the fact the Combo system is easier, and the scoring system takes away points for every hit?
Aegis
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Aegis »

New version get!
It's definitely an improvement. I especially like it when everything goes slo-mo and you can see the bullets get warped as you roll through them.
WHOOSH!
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

Umm, if you go barrel roll spastic while the music is slowed down, eventually the game starts running at 3 FPS (or 3 somethings, that's the number 3/4 from the right that's usually at 60), but it snaps back to normal about 2 seconds after you stop barrel rolling. Makes it easy to dodge, at least... :?

EDIT: sorry, just noticed it happens even if the music isn't slow beforehand.
Office hours: 12:30-2:00 PST M-F, in #BSF.
Dragons_Weyr
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Dragons_Weyr »

great game, though i find myself using the vulcan whirl and vulcan cannon most of the time. and the seekers, while a good idea, feel almost token.
but that could be easily fixed with a few tweaks, it is a very good start,
i look forward to the full game.
[img]http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff40/DarkDragonxl/dragons%20weyr/DW_sig_cyan.gif[/img]
[url=http://basefire.on.toribash.com/]Clicky[/url]
bien4500
Commodore
Commodore

Post by bien4500 »

I just downloaded this yesterday, and I'd say: I'm hooked!
Verminator
Captain
Captain

Post by Verminator »

I had fun with this, even though I died a lot.
I have to kill fast and bullets are [i]too slow.[/i]
Fangz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Fangz »

I wish the rolling is removed, or at least can be turned off. Tweaking the ship's position leads to a lot of accidental rolls, and hence a lot of deaths.
darloth
Ensign
Ensign

Post by darloth »

Sadly I can't play this, although it looks fun.

I get the

Code: Select all

ERROR in
action number 1
of Other Event: Game Start
for object ctrGame:

Error defining an external function.
errors on game start, but even once they've all been ignored, I'm getting endless

Code: Select all

ERROR in
action number 1
of Alarm Event for alarm 4
for object ctrGame:
errors during gameplay, one per frame. They never say anything else. I'm using Vista (I know, I know :( compatibility mode and running as admin don't help either, and it's not in program files.), anything else helpful for squashing this bug if/when you get around to working on it some more?
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

The game needs an external .dll to play music. You get that error if it doesn't have access to that .dll for any reason. These reasons include not extracting the whole file first, putting it on a directory without read/write access on Vista.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
darloth
Ensign
Ensign

Post by darloth »

Thanks for the reply, but it's in a subdirectory off my user profile, and having checked, said user account has read and write access to everything in there, the directory itself, and everything else. The directory contains: the game.exe, two dlls (bass.dll and bgm.dll) and two music files.

However, after your advice, I fixed the problem by giving "Everyone" full control to the directory... that's weird though, I was running it under a user that had full control of it already - does the game count as its own user, perhaps?

Thanks for the help, rapid personal response and reasoning though! I shall now enjoy the demo!
Ramification
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ramification »

Woo, it lasted only about a several few minute but it was so intense I feel like I've been squeezed for hours.

My biggest problem is with the roll only lasting about a second and doesn't offer maneuverability.
In addition, while the forward and sides are covered there's nothing to protect upon descending motion and one is easily molested.

Truthfully, due to the nature of the pace (slo-mo aside) and the reactional mechanics, I'd rather have the ability to use the mouse to navigate.
Another possibility would have to make the rolling a fixed movement, IE if you double tap you move -very fast- across a predetermined length as to allow the player to cover some distance with sufficient ease.
[url=http://www.blackskygame.com][img]http://www.blackskygame.com/blacksky.jpg[/img][/url]
We'll breach the 2D game engine conventions yet!