Carpe Universum Demo

Carpe that Universum

Moderators: th15, Moderators

JamesFreeman
Ensign
Ensign

Post by JamesFreeman »

Ah, 'twiddles' make a reappearance! I was wondering why no shoot-em-up game has used them since Tyrian 2000. Awesome music for bullettime, by the way.

EDIT: Oh, and you NEED some sort of rear weapon or move. Half the time I got hit, it was from behind.
Shadow Star reporting in, Darkspire Squadron on standby.
Skull13
Captain
Captain

Post by Skull13 »

I can't play it. There is a white square around everything, including the special moves list, making the game unplayable. (The moves list covers about everything in the screen, so I can't see)

I like how there's music from Newgrounds, though!
This user is a proponent of the whole "Check your **** parenting" idea.

This is a signature. It goes at the end of my post.

Your face is so *adjective* that it *verb*s
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

New version of the game out for beta testing!
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

This is really weird, it seems to be screwed up for me in a number of ways:
1)The background is black.
2)The game keeps pausing, even if I don't press anything.
3)Moving, rolling, and charging leaves a permanent afterimage.
4)Bullets are invisible.
5)Some text leaves a permanent afterimage (for example the text saying you are out of seekers).
6)When enemies die, they grow huge (about 1/4 the size of the screen), and leave a permanent afterimage.
And there's probably more but I quit due to the fact that it was screwed up. Can you think of any reason for these things to happen?
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

There some issues with the way game maker works with the newest batch of nvidia drivers. Most problems are solved by restarting the computer.
Sean 'th15' Chan
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Great, it works, and I must say, it's awesome. I look forward to more versions.
Last edited by Bad Boy on Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnnihilatorX
Commander
Commander

Post by AnnihilatorX »

I can't start the game, I get the error as follows:

ERROR in
action number 1
of Other Event: Game Start
for object ctrGame:

Error defining an external function.

Seeing it's the same game engine, and I don't have problems with Battleship Forever, I don't know why.

I am running Vista x64 SP1 with ATI HD4850 if that helps.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

You need access to read/write to the folder that you unzipped CU to. If you're not on an admin account, your user folder should work.

It's either that or you didn't unzip the file before running the game...
Sean 'th15' Chan
TimoK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TimoK »

hey nice game, i like the idea of special moves. i played some earlier versions and it's come a long way since. feels very intense.

i think the background is pretty neat but the white color kinda hides the weapon effects... and the ships are all white too so the overall feel just ends up being kinda dull and overly simplistic.
also i wish the player ship was a little fancier. i think you're trying to go for a simplistic look tho.
i'm not sure how the whole talk about "universe being mine" ties into the game, there wasn't anything visually or gameplay wise that evoked any thoughts about universe or world or anything like that to me. maybe if there were graphics that suggested something like stars and galaxies and whatnot... could be very stylized. could even use different colored backgrounds thematically to prepare the player for certain things.

cool stuff.
Meklor
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Meklor »

Bad Boy wrote:This is really weird, it seems to be screwed up for me in a number of ways:
4)Bullets are invisible.
5)Some text leaves a permanent afterimage (for example the text saying you are out of seekers).
6)When enemies die, they grow huge (about 1/4 the size of the screen), and leave a permanent afterimage.
And there's probably more but I quit due to the fact that it was screwed up. Can you think of any reason for these things to happen?
Okay, I'm having the same problems, but restarting it doesn't seem to help. Does anyone know something else that might help? My video card is NVIDIA, and currently I've extracted the files to a folder on my desktop(nothing else in the folder).
BlkRdgPharmPRSTAFF
Commander
Commander

Post by BlkRdgPharmPRSTAFF »

Meklor wrote:
Bad Boy wrote:This is really weird, it seems to be screwed up for me in a number of ways:
4)Bullets are invisible.
Okay, I'm having the same problems, but restarting it doesn't seem to help. Does anyone know something else that might help? My video card is NVIDIA, and currently I've extracted the files to a folder on my desktop(nothing else in the folder).
Revert to an older copy of your drivers?
Improving quality of life since 1955.
pvtdow
Ensign
Ensign

Post by pvtdow »

I played it and it's pretty good, considering i don't much like SHMUPs :D
keep working on it, i gladly await it's completion