Best Runs

NUDNUDNUDNUDNUD

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Skasi
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Skasi »

oh.. I've forgot to say something important:
I do always try to put up lancets as close to the start as possible, as there are most units alive, so I can hit as much stuff as possible!
Everything that stays alive gets crushed by enormous amounts of tri-nud power! :D
Nyme
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Nyme »

So, I decided to try a different map, and done Bifurcation. After refining my maze a bit I got to wave 41:
NUD v3
Wave: 41
Hardest: normal, tough creeps
Survival
Bifurcation

Bifurcation is different in the way that the creeps come from two directions, which enables different approaches. I chose to unite the paths as early as I could so I could use Lancets to fire down the alley. Using a Warpnud adjacent to Lancets really helps with crits and a huge warp area, as Skasi pointed out. I could have removed two of the Warps and achieving the same effect on the central lane, which would have saved me 500$.

Because there is plenty of space to build, a more powerful approach would be to replace the central Warp with a Lancet and surround the Lancets with Warps. The problem with this is that it is very expensive (three Lancets for 900$ and six Warps for 1500$, not to mention upgrading, you could build 8 tris with that).

The Orbnud also becomes available on this map, and I was eager to try it, but I couldn't get a good score. Orbs give bonuses to all attributes to the surrounding towers, but their DPS isn't great and they're very expensive (400$ each). And besides, the bonuses aren't so great for the price of the nud. I'm eager to hear if anyone finds out a good use for them.
Skasi
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Skasi »

Monos, Duos and Trios hate Warps
I've just realized something evil.. Warpnuds do decrease the efficiency of basic nuds! I've just had a round on Bifurcation as I wanted to break Nyme's record (hi! :) hehe) and watched my Monos-Trios missing with their shots due to Warps every now and then.

As an addition, I've seen Warps creating something like strong warp effects. I think these are their criticals.
Now I want to know, if anybody knows, what it's doing? Wat's that "special effect"? Did you people ever take a closer look?

Mononuds, Duonuds, Trionuds and.. an Orb!
Besides, I think I understand how Orbs power can be increased. If you place an Orb and four Tris around it, then its reload time will decrease from 30 by 24 to 6. So you've increased it's damage per second by 400%! The additional overall power increase for your Tris (as Tris are your damage dealers, this is most useful on them, while less for other towers).

At last I've got a question related to stats and bonuses.
Orbs increase the range by towers. Lancets multiply the range of towers.
How exactly does the math work?
It shows for example 80+10x1.10; A calculator would say "that's 91", I'd say "that's 99", while it could also be 98.
Additionally Orbs have a "x2" in their stats, if selected to be built. Does this also double damage bonuses received by nearby Orbs?
Nyme
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Nyme »

Skasi wrote:Monos, Duos and Trios hate Warps
I've just realized something evil.. Warpnuds do decrease the efficiency of basic nuds! I've just had a round on Bifurcation as I wanted to break Nyme's record (hi! :) hehe) and watched my Monos-Trios missing with their shots due to Warps every now and then.
Here it should be taken to account that Monos get to shoot more times on the same creep when it is thrown back by a Warpnud. I have actually got better results even with some shots missing, because the creep stays at range for longer time.
Skasi wrote:As an addition, I've seen Warps creating something like strong warp effects. I think these are their criticals.
Now I want to know, if anybody knows, what it's doing? Wat's that "special effect"? Did you people ever take a closer look?
I took a closer look as you mentioned it. It seems that when the Warp crits, the range is increased by a large amount, at least 50% more. It doesn't throw the creeps back any more than a normal warp effect, though.

Skasi wrote:Mononuds, Duonuds, Trionuds and.. an Orb!
Besides, I think I understand how Orbs power can be increased. If you place an Orb and four Tris around it, then its reload time will decrease from 30 by 24 to 6. So you've increased it's damage per second by 400%! The additional overall power increase for your Tris (as Tris are your damage dealers, this is most useful on them, while less for other towers).
Nice find, I must try it out.
Skasi wrote:At last I've got a question related to stats and bonuses.
Orbs increase the range by towers. Lancets multiply the range of towers.
How exactly does the math work?
It shows for example 80+10x1.10; A calculator would say "that's 91", I'd say "that's 99", while it could also be 98.
Additionally Orbs have a "x2" in their stats, if selected to be built. Does this also double damage bonuses received by nearby Orbs?
In this case, calculator is right. Math has an order for different operations.
1. exponentiation (2^3) and roots (sqrt 2)
2. multiplication (2*3) and division (2/3)
3. addition (2+3) and subtraction (2-3)
In the above 80+10x1.10., first you multiply 10x1.10=11, then you add 80+11=91.

Edit: On orbs (headings in posts rock)
I examined the Orbnud more closely. You all see the tiny, blue orbs that the nud creates and stores around it. Fire rate affects how fast these orbs regenerate. Also, they do A LOT damage when they hit en masse. Hitting is the problem. The Orbnud tracks creeps poorly, and thus if the creep is not coming straight towards the Orbnud, the nud has a large chance of missing. I would say that each of those blue orbs have the damage stated in the nud's stats (10 for basic, unenhanced Orb). Thus, when all orbs are generated, the first enemy that comes in range is shot at with some 10 orbs, each doing 10 damage. After that, it just fires the orbs as they regenerate. So, the Orbnud can "store" DPS when nothing's in range.

Yet another edit (someone, post so I don't have to make this post 2 pages long):
Beat my record on Bifurcation.
NUD v3
Wave reached: 43
Hardest round: normal, tough, but also three-groups because I had no lancets
Survival
Bifurcation

Being more and more intrigued about Orbnuds and now seeing their strength and weaknesses, I used them in this round. Orbs have to be placed like Lancets: so that creeps walk towards them. Otherwise, the Orb will miss. Care must be taken to let an Orb only shoot in one place so it can regenerate its weapon orbs.

In this run a lot of damage was done by Tris/Duos, but I was surprised how well this worked out without Warps slowing down creeps' advance. The Orbs were most powerful against single, hard targets, in other words the normal creeps (and bosses, but those are pieces of cake anyway).
Skasi
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Skasi »

I know that math has such an order. But if this is true, it would mean, that Orbs lower the range of nuds, if it increases its range with a Lancets bonus. Thus one could say, that Twinlancets (if you place two behind each other for an increased range) do hate Orbs. :)

As for Orbs charging ability: I already mentioned, that I try make enemies being hit by Lancets as early as possible, if no creep has died yet, do get the full potential out of them. Now, I'd suggest to make Orbs shooting as late as possible, so they can charge and only have to kill like every third creep.

This brings up yet another question, or idea:
What do you think about using Orbs against masses of enemies? If some orbs miss the enemy they were meant to hit, there's a little chance for them to hit a nearby enemy. This would ruin the "build them in front of the exit"-concept.

hmm.. I have to say, that this is really the most interesting Tower Defense game I've ever seen.. there's so much to think and talk about.. it's all a matter of testing, I think. (this brings me to a new suggestion I have to post on the NUD beta build thread)
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

All multipliers are applied after absolute bonuses. It's mentioned somewhere in the tooltips.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

wave: 49
hardest: single hard creeps
survival
swichback

my strategy here was originally just a basic mono/duo/tri nud build, but when I had all of my nuds fully upgraded and was drowning in cash I replaced the center tri-nuds with warp nuds, giving all of those adjacent turrets a 25% crit chance, and made it another 10 waves or so.

I also tried a lancet/warp build, but that only got me into the 20s and 30s
carnun
Ensign
Ensign

Post by carnun »

Switchback/Survival

wave: 50
hardest: tough creeps

Variation on FIREST0RM000's maze. Technically I didn't beat wave 49, the second last tough creep from it killed me.
Nyme
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Nyme »

Nice accomplishments, both of you!

Seems like I'm refining my Bifurcation record again, this time reaching wave 48 with a bit different maze:

NUD v0.03
Wave reached: 48
Hardest: normal, tough creeps (like always)
Survival
Bifurcation

This is not the first time I tried a "biased maze". By moving the central corridor one tile down I was able to make it longer, and I avoided the problem of a huge area left blank (there's still lots of unusable space in the lower right corner), or cutting my Lancers to two with an another path (like I did in my previous Bifurcation records).
Xenomath
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Xenomath »

nud ver. 0.04

Wave 62
survival
In and out

Started with with mostly normal nuds and a simply layout,
spammed the lancers and warps and changed the layout once I had the money.
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

Here's one that I was very pleased with. I don't know what kind of record this is, but it pushed my to the top of the scoreboard by 20 points.

I present, wave 59 on Bifurcation.

NUD v0.04
Wave 59
Hardest: The round, tough ones, as always.
Survival on Bifurcation
The Scatternuds definitely proved to be the saviors, dealing immense damage at point-blank range. I think they ended up at something like 210 damage if all pellets hit.
Got Steam?
Join the official BSF Steam group today!

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z148/JohnDG/sig-1.png[/img]
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

I would probably been able to continue on BI,but the game decided to throw some 8000+ HP spheres on me and then shoved speeders right after,and pretty early,somewhere around lvl 30-ish.
IBurn36360
Commander
Commander

Post by IBurn36360 »

well, i tried my best, and on scoreline (nud v4.0) i got it. an 82 wave (last creep got me) run.

wave 35 without a life lost, i didnt take a pic of it but i lost my first one at wave 53.

and the fruit of my labors, wave 83. i lost almost immediately, so i don't count this level, but it is still an achievement.

Stats:

hardest: normal and speeder combo (sent one after another)

Strategy: I tended to go for the mononuds due to their damage saturation, I found that the mononuds are capable of decimating most, if not all of the early enemies. after the maze was done, I put the mononuds on the outside of the course, folowed by the lancetnuds. after all of that was done, I began to upgrade and it went from there.

Note: This was done on a non-networked computer, so there is no score for it, if a big enough gripe is made, I'll do it again on my laptop.
Alls Requiem, my current project, with many more to come. Feel free to critique my site as much as you please.
Magick
Captain
Captain

Post by Magick »

IBurn36360 wrote: and the fruit of my labors, wave 83. i lost almost immediately, so i don't count this level, but it is still an achievement.
*snip*

You were right. It is an achievement.
IBurn36360
Commander
Commander

Post by IBurn36360 »

hahaha. I'm trying the same thing on v7.0. I'll post when I get the turret placement right.
Alls Requiem, my current project, with many more to come. Feel free to critique my site as much as you please.