Found a bug that crashes the game

NUDNUDNUDNUDNUD

Moderators: th15, Moderators

f.aa
Ensign
Ensign

Found a bug that crashes the game

Post by f.aa »

Just found NUD the other day. It's pretty sweet, although I understand it's still in development.

Anywho, I've found a bug that seems to always crash the game when encountered.

Gives me this message:
for object VomtY_8_9L_S97lI69m:

Trying to use non-existing surface.
Steps to reproduce:

1. Play any level
2. Pause or hit Esc
3. Use Switch User (in Windows) and then log back into your Windows account
4. Resume the paused game.

Boom! It crashes. This happens to me a lot, and I can easily reproduce it (seems to happen 100% of the time). I often leave my game paused to go down and eat supper, and when I come back upstairs after I've cleaned, my wife has switched into her user account to use Facebook. I log back into mine, and my game is dead.

I'm using Windows 7 Professional. Let me know if you need anything more specific about my configuration.

Just wanted to give you a heads up. Thanks for making a swell game.
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

A similiar thing happens to me as well, although it occurs a bit differently.

Okay, so I load up a level, and play through it. Everything works, everything is in order. Sooner or later, I either beat the level, or fail, or I get bored and quit, and i return to the title page. Everything still works. I then decide to play another level, or the same one. I load up another level.

My entire computer crashes, the screen resolution drops from 1280X960 to 320X480, and the colour quality goes from 24bit, to like 4bit. An error screen comes up, and it says shit about the ialmrnt5.dll file being fucked up and stuff. I end up having to restart the entire computer.

I found that I can prevent the game from crashing by terminating the game after wining/losing/quitting a level, and then reloading it again. Since i was worried about the ialmrnt5.dll file, i ended up getting another one from the net, and deleting the faulty one.

Of course, this could have all happened due to me crappy computer, but then there are plenty of people using crappy computers, so this is a heads up for them.

Oh, and another thing. Sometimes when I upload a score, it doesn't't appear on the score list on the website. It's really annoying because I've lost some really good scores.
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
Nyme
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Nyme »

f.aa, I have the same problem and it can be solved by just clicking and clicking on "ignore" until the message goes away and the game continues. This bug has been around for a while, though so has the latest release...

Illusion, according to a google search I did, it seems that your .dll is actually the driver for your graphics card (Intel Graphics Accelerator, is it not?), and that problem really does sound like a graphics problem. So you'd be better off downloading the latest version of the driver from Intel.
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

Illusion, according to a google search I did, it seems that your .dll is actually the driver for your graphics card (Intel Graphics Accelerator, is it not?), and that problem really does sound like a graphics problem. So you'd be better off downloading the latest version of the driver from Intel.
I've already done that, the game works fine now. Even then, I still quit the game after ending a level, just to make sure.

I'm willing to bet that a lot of people have a similiar problem that I had, only that since they don't know what the ialmrnt5.dll is, they're not going to want to do anything about it, in case they fuck something else up. If your one of those people, all you have to do is download another copy of the ialmrnt5.dll file and delete the old one. The folder address that the ialmrnt5.dll is in is:

C:\WINDOWS\system32,

and then scoll down past all the folders, until you reach the "application extension" type files. You can find an "ialmrnt5.dll" downloading site just by googling the file name.
f.aa
Ensign
Ensign

Post by f.aa »

Thanks Nyme. It never even occured to me to try Ignore. I'll keep that in mind for the next time it happens.
Imaillusion wrote: If your one of those people, all you have to do is download another copy of the ialmrnt5.dll file and delete the old one. The folder address that the ialmrnt5.dll is in is:
That's a recipe for an unstable system. Downloading and using a different version of a DLL than the one that your drivers are expecting is never a good idea. You should be downloading the entire driver package and install it, instead of just the single file.
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

That's a recipe for an unstable system. Downloading and using a different version of a DLL than the one that your drivers are expecting is never a good idea. You should be downloading the entire driver package and install it, instead of just the single file.
Well it's been several months since I did this, and I haven't had any problems. But hey, if something does happen, I will keep your sugestion in mind.

Although admittedly, if something does happen, them my computer is probaly fucked anyway. But I'll worry about that when it happens