NUD beta build

NUDNUDNUDNUDNUD

Moderators: th15, Moderators

XEALMOX
One-Ban Limit

Post by XEALMOX »

Skasi,seriously.... your information is handy but stop spamming this thread by replying to every post
"What is it your Borg friends say? Resistance is futile."
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

Skasi,seriously.... your information is handy but stop spamming this thread by replying to every post
I personally think that he? is providing far more useful info than any one else here, so I'd like to keep hearing from him. Perhaps we should leave this thread to game suggestions and make another thread for useful player suggestions and observations? (Edit: I just made one) also:
"Backseat Modding":
This has been more and more prevalent of late, so I feel it should be addressed. Backseat modding is when you act like a moderator when you aren't. Unnecessary amounts of it done poorly will land you with a warning. Do not expect to get to be a mod by behaving like one before you get there.

If you feel someone is being disruptive, direct them to the rules thread and rule in particular, and don't make an issue. Leave it to the moderators to do their job.

I was hoping that an extra stat readout or two could be added next to the existing one with reload, damage, etc, and show the stats for when the turret fires a crit shot, and the actual final bonuses after they have been evaluated. instead of showing (60 - 12) * 1.10, show 52.8.

also, some places in game show the bonus given to reload as "speed + X", when it should be "speed - X" throughout since that is how the stat is applied.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Nyme wrote:Also, I have something important to say. We can raise the game speed above 200%, but it doesn't actually work beyond this, the highest speed you can currently get is 2x normal. It would be nice to have higher speeds as there are times when money is coming in slow and the nuds can kill creeps easily, so less attention is needed.
The new version scales properly so you can hit much higher simulation speeds even on poor computers. I can run it at about 24000% speed on mine, which is... umm, faster than you can feasibly play the game.

As for the stats display, the game used to show the final value, but I felt that showing contributing factors was more important.
Last edited by th15 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Da_Higg
Captain
Captain

Post by Da_Higg »

every time I try to download it throws up a 404 error
Look Up
upon reading this:
50% of people will have scrolled up
25% will have looked at their ceiling
The last 25% can now feel smug because everyone else has taken orders from a little sig box.
Nyme
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Nyme »

th15 wrote:The new version scales properly so you can hit much higher simulation speeds even on poor computers. I can run it at about 24000% speed on mine, which is... umm, faster than you can feasibly play the game.
I have the newest version you have released, v3. For me, the SPD indicator only goes to 1000% (by pressing page up), but only works up to 200%. When I set it to 200%, the game speed is 2x as it should be. When I set it to 300%, the game still goes at 2x speed. I set it to 1000%, it goes 2x speed. NUD uses about 60% of my processor according to task manager, and it is an Athlon 64 3200+, so it should be able to handle much higher speeds.

How can you even set it to 24000%?
Skasi
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Skasi »

th15, please fix your quote: It wasn't me who said that. :mrgreen:

However, I am posting this, because I wanted to suggest new nuds, that could all be a sort of additional upgrade path to current nuds.

Phasenud(based on the warpnud - without area of effect)
This nud physically phases creeps out of the game for a certain time thus making them invulnerable. It would allow nuds to concentrate on other creeps and/or reload/aim on the place where it will phase in after some time.

An additional effect could be, that every single creep can only be phased out once. (optional - like every single part of all suggestions I am ever going to write)

Lurenud/Clutch(based on the Lancet)
This nud can lug one or more creeps to it. Units that are lugged to the tile in front of it can be affected by any (even several) of the following options:
(option) The nud sticks onto the creep(s)/stun it, breaking their movement for a certain time.
(option) The nud deals damage to the creep(s).

(optional) All these options could be based on the range. The longer the nud pulls, the higher the force.
(optional) They can also depend on the size of the creature (eg. smaller units pulled faster, bigger units sticked shorter).
(optional) The nud can only fire again, once its action finished.

All options and optional effects could also differ based on the nuds upgrades. (if you want to allow different upgrades for each nud)

A little problem would be, that this could mean, that units get caught again every time they want to run away from this nud. The reason why I still write this is, because I want to inspire you and think that there are different solutions - you just have to choose the one you like best! :)

I've got some development related questions too:
Is there anything you don't want to see in nudsuggestions? Like stuff that does only give bonuses, or does not give any bonuses? Stuff that moves units in any direction? (warp does not move, but rewind them)
Do you want to add things like buffs a player can buy and add to different towers/areas? Give the player the ability to deal damage, or have any other effect on creeps without the help of turrets?
How about different levels of turrets? (like turrets that can only be placed on current existing ones and boost other turrets on all Z levels)
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

Skasi wrote:Oh and.. I'm neither sure, if I am right, or it's a bug, or wanted, or whatever. But ain't it crazy for a nud to have a range of 80+10x1.20? The increased range by Lancets decreases, if an Orb is placed close to a nud. Did I understand that correct? Doesn't that formula need brackets around 80+10?
In the actual game engine calculations, that formula does have brackets. It just doesn't appear as such in the tool-tip.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

By "new version" I mean the one that I'm going to release soon but haven't yet :) I'm holding off putting it up so I can integrate an online highscore system into it.

Here's how the changelog currently looks:

Code: Select all

v0.04
-Increased interest amount slightly
-Lance nuds now have 200 range at all levels
-increased mononud range by 20
-Added a third quality level. now you can use lo, med or hi quality.
-Added pause key. Press P to pause the game
-Greatly increase performance when the game is accelerated by decreasing the draw rate
-Implemented new algorithms for creep balancing. Game should be more balanced now
Note, this version of the game has not been released
Sean 'th15' Chan
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

TH15, could you please specify what the interest rate is. the game always seems to add 2$ at regular intervals.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

It's level specific, I'm supposed to put that in the mouse over tooltip for the resources but I haven't gotten around to it.
Sean 'th15' Chan
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

I'm still dyin' to know what the shrap nud does.I mean it's in there!

Somewhere...
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

It fires a spread of bullets. These bullets bounce off other nuds, so if they miss the target invader, they can ricochet off nuds and hit other invader. Ideally you want to build a backing wall for the shrap nud so that any shots that don't hit ricochet back in to the path of the invaders.

I'll probably replace the orb with the shrap, I don't really like how the orb works right now.
Sean 'th15' Chan
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

The orb does have problems,but what if you upped the projectiles' turn rate?

That would probably give much more incentive to use them,maybe even make them continue to seek out targets once launched beyond their maximum range.

Or you could also force them to build up before launching their attack.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

It's not that, they're just nowhere near as cool as shrap.
Sean 'th15' Chan
Nyme
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Nyme »

th15 wrote:It fires a spread of bullets. These bullets bounce off other nuds, so if they miss the target invader, they can ricochet off nuds and hit other invader. Ideally you want to build a backing wall for the shrap nud so that any shots that don't hit ricochet back in to the path of the invaders.

I'll probably replace the orb with the shrap, I don't really like how the orb works right now.
Nice idea for a Nud! I dunno about the Orb replacement, but if you think it's better that way then go ahead. I also thought that Orb might become a lot better if the tracking was better.

About v0.04, why all Lance ranges become 200? I mean, that's 50 range reduction for Lancer, and those weren't overpowered anyway for their price (1100$). Also, will you be adding/modifying the shrap to 0.04?