NUD beta build

NUDNUDNUDNUDNUD

Moderators: th15, Moderators

FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

Much better that the previous two versions; good work. :D

My biggest complaint with the game right now is difficulty. The previous six levels are really easy, but the new ones you added are obscenely difficult in comparison. I would suggest that you make 3-5 different difficulty settings. Even if they are just modifiers on income and/or creep health, it would help a lot.

Also, when playing your new levels, I thought it would be really neat on the levels with multiple creep paths (the red and green ones) if we could build gates so that only creeps of a particular color could go that way. Would make for some interesting new strategies.

Lastly, any FYI for everyone else who has a previous version of the game: if you move the old .dat file into the directory of the new version, you don't have to play the previous levels again, and can start where you left off.
Artman40
Commander
Commander

Post by Artman40 »

Hmmm...what about giving money by a percent of damage caused to creep instead of giving money after killing it which would be more fair for creeps which reached their destination? Or split the amount of money 50/50 between the kill and damage taken?

What about making a change so that if a Nud has 2 adjacent Nuds that are from different type from it (for an example, if lancet has 1 warp and 1 basic Nud adjacent to it), it would gain large bonuses to encourage using different types of Nuds?
thacannon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by thacannon »

How about multiple branches of upgrade?

One for power, one for range, on for speed, one for critical, and one for adjacent bonuses.

Once all five are upgraded you unlock another branch and the turret is declared bi/shift/etc.
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

Preference targeting to invaders farther in maze.
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

I Just noticed that it is possible to beat every single mission with just the basic nud. it isn't a huge problem, but it doesn't exactly encourage creative play either.
This is generally one of the major problems of "turret defence" style games, where spamming the basic turret is almost always (in my experience) the most effective tactic, possibly with a few AA turrets thrown in for turret defence games with flying units... A classic case of quantity triumphing over quality... The only notable exception I've found to this rule thus far has been a game called Eternal Red by the same guy who made the Thing Thing series, where the best tactic is to build one basic turret and then upgrade the ever-loving crap out of it...

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/472265
[img]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb6/CaptainTrek/Federationsignature.jpg[/img]
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

I Just noticed that it is possible to beat every single mission with just the basic nud. it isn't a huge problem, but it doesn't exactly encourage creative play either.

This is generally one of the major problems of "turret defence" style games, where spamming the basic turret is almost always (in my experience) the most effective tactic, possibly with a few AA turrets thrown in for turret defence games with flying units... A classic case of quantity triumphing over quality... The only notable exception I've found to this rule thus far has been a game called Eternal Red by the same guy who made the Thing Thing series, where the best tactic is to build one basic turret and then upgrade the ever-loving crap out of it...
One place to possibly look for inspiration is bloons TD 2 and 3. it is impossible to beat either with just one turret type, and they have some other cool things that I haven't seen in many other TDs
Skasi
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Skasi »

A little tip:
You can hover over any attribute of a NUD to see a little description of the type of attribute. Critical hits either double the damage dealt, or trigger other special effects. (I think the lancet now only pierces through enemies, if a critical hit happens)

A little request:
Could you change "SPD" to "RLD", or something else that shows people, that lower numbers are better than higher ones? :)
Oh and.. a replay option would be genius! :D
Nyme
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Nyme »

Skasi wrote:A little tip:
You can hover over any attribute of a NUD to see a little description of the type of attribute. Critical hits either double the damage dealt, or trigger other special effects. (I think the lancet now only pierces through enemies, if a critical hit happens)
Thanks. Already said this in the "best runs" thread, but Lancets pierce even without crit. They can hit at least two creeps with a non-crit, but I'm not sure if that is a higher number actually.

And another suggestion: perhaps there should be a wave indicator somewhere, so when taking screenshots of the highest waves one wouldn't need to always have a finger on print screen, just to catch the short-lived text announcing the upcoming wave.

Play survival, guys. That's where you get to higher waves with a creative setup of nuds, instead of a pure Mono/Duo/Tri setup.
Skasi
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Skasi »

I've got enough suggestions, but don't want to ask too much of th15. ^^

How about a random map generator that places a chosen number of entrances and exits in different colors at two random locations (min 4 tiles away from each other)?
The map itself could have holes on every 4th or 5th tile and the size could be choosen by the player.

A map creator would be fine to, but I think th15 is just working on one (as there is this "custom"-button).

By the way, how about a mutiplayermode? Saves, etc? :twisted:
thacannon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by thacannon »

Skasi wrote:I've got enough suggestions, but don't want to ask too much of th15. ^^

How about a random map generator that places a chosen number of entrances and exits in different colors at two random locations (min 4 tiles away from each other)?
The map itself could have holes on every 4th or 5th tile and the size could be choosen by the player.

A map creator would be fine to, but I think th15 is just working on one (as there is this "custom"-button).

By the way, how about a mutiplayermode? Saves, etc? :twisted:

My predictions:
Random map generator: Maybe included in custom map maker but idk.

Multiplayer mode: most likely no.

Saves: It's already in the game (undo).

I doubt NUD was immediately intended to be a multiplayer TD. :wink:

But then again...

A custom map maker would mean having a way to share maps so that's something to look forward too!

The best part? TH15 don't have to make maps anymore.
Skasi
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Skasi »

I've got some new suggestions! :)

I'd like to be able to see how much damage each of my nud dealt in a game, so I can see, if it's placed on a good position and benefits from nearby boosts.
It would be also interesting to have a statistic that says, how much shots hit and missed a target.
One should be able to draw a big box around some nuds to see a statistic based on all of them. Yay!

Informations like thick range-indicators (circles that one can actually see - I can't :cry:) and other stuff should also be displayed, if one selects a nud. Or maybe, if he presses CTRL/ALT/SHIFT/whatever while hovering over a nud.

Oh and.. I'm neither sure, if I am right, or it's a bug, or wanted, or whatever. But ain't it crazy for a nud to have a range of 80+10x1.20? The increased range by Lancets decreases, if an Orb is placed close to a nud. Did I understand that correct? Doesn't that formula need brackets around 80+10?
Nyme
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Nyme »

Skasi wrote:Oh and.. I'm neither sure, if I am right, or it's a bug, or wanted, or whatever. But ain't it crazy for a nud to have a range of 80+10x1.20? The increased range by Lancets decreases, if an Orb is placed close to a nud. Did I understand that correct? Doesn't that formula need brackets around 80+10?
As he said in the "best runs"-thread (and yeah, it reads in the tooltip too when you hover mouse over the bonuses), it actually does have brackets, so the above formula is (80+10)x1.20. "Multipliers are applied after absolute bonuses".

Also, I have something important to say. We can raise the game speed above 200%, but it doesn't actually work beyond this, the highest speed you can currently get is 2x normal. It would be nice to have higher speeds as there are times when money is coming in slow and the nuds can kill creeps easily, so less attention is needed.
Skasi
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Skasi »

You can actually increase the speed to 1000%. Although this aint fast enough sometimes, I've got something else to suggest relating speed: I can't decrease it to 50%! :)

That makes me remember something else I wanted to suggest:
A zoom! I want to be able to take a closer look at turrets shots and how well they hit their targets! That's also where I need a speed less than 100%.
Aaganrmu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Aaganrmu »

The maximum speed seems to change for each computer. On my own computer I only reach about 2 or 3x speed, but someone else managed to get at least 5x, maybe 10x with an inferior setup, both using v0.3

As for the lances: doesn't it say they can pierce up to 6 enemies somewhere ingame? That's what I remember, at least.

Anyway, I like it, quite a lot. I'm curious to see what future turrets will bring... a bonus only turret would be nice, or area-damage turrets. Or maybe some turret which doesn't get bonusses at all, but is fairly strong on it's own. It would fit nicely on the 'spectator' spots on some later maps, which I didn't really use for lack of boosting.
Skasi
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Skasi »

Your Lancets hit up to 6 enemies, that's right. But I think it has a chance to stop piercing for each enemy it hits. As an additon: a critical hit pierces an unlimited amount of enemies, as far as I have realized.

As for your boosts: I wonder if the +1 damage of orbs also applies to warps.

I'd suggest you to take a look at the other NUD related thread. It contains various information on the game. Tricks, ideas, etc.