NUD beta build

NUDNUDNUDNUDNUD

Moderators: th15, Moderators

FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

I just tried out the game, and it's good so far. for the most part, it just needs more turrets and more levels.

I think it would be interesting if turrets connected together in a chain received a bonus from all other turrets in the chain; EX: turret 1 is adjacent to turret 2, and turret 3 is adjacent to 2 but not 1. turret 1 would give a bonus to turret 3, but only a fraction of the bonus that turret 2 gives. Also, I would like a simple "wall" turret. IE: a piece that occupies a space but doesn't shoot.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

New Version Released
Download: http://www.wyrdysm.com/NUDv002.zip
Huge changes in this version. I've gotten the menu and other things up, so it's actually a full game. There are 6 fully playable levels now.

On top of that, each level can be played in survival mode. In this mode, the game will randomly generate waves of creeps to match your playing ability, so you can essentially play forever (it will eventually get too hard to continue at some point though).

Everything looks better in general, there is even an option for players with less-than-stellar computers to reduce the quality of the graphics, speeding up the game somewhat.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Artman40
Commander
Commander

Post by Artman40 »

Upgrading a nud should be cheaper since it doesn't create longer path for creeps and only does twice as much damage. Maybe upgrading it should also enhance the special abilities for nuds next to them?
thacannon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by thacannon »

<Cries>

I'm still running at 2-4 fps...

Well, back to vista! >.<

Can't wait till I test survival mode though. :D

Edit: for the record, I would like to see a 'wall' tower in NUD for about 5$ or so. =).
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

small bug: if you upgrade a tower, it doesn't start firing till you deselect it. Doesn't really matter, but... yeah

edit: apparently that is true when you first place a tower as well
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

I Just noticed that it is possible to beat every single mission with just the basic nud. it isn't a huge problem, but it doesn't exactly encourage creative play either.

Also, upgrades should be less expensive than new towers IMO unless they offer extra/larger bonuses and/or the upgrade gives more firepower than just building a new tower.
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

We really need that pause function. :wink:
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

HAHAHAHAHA

I CLAIM THE FIRST ERROR MESSAGE

Ok, opened up the game, played through Just Build, beat it incredibly easy. After I beat it, it showed the message "Level Complete". I noticed I had exactly $100 left, so I figured why not, I'll just put in one more tower. Well, as I clicked on the mono icon...

Code: Select all

for object ctrStagers:

Error opening binary file.

for object ctrStagers:

Trying to rewrite unopened file.

for object ctrStagers:

File is not opened.
Kept pressing ignore until the final kept repeating ;). After about eight or nine times pressing ignore the error went away and I was able to play again.

EDIT: Oh, maybe it's a download error. I just played through Baby Steps and got the same message D:. Is everyone else getting this too, and I'm just making a fool of myself?
Last edited by Himura.Kenshin on Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skull13
Captain
Captain

Post by Skull13 »

Slightly slow and stupid right now, but more turretz would help easily. Its too early for me to judge it, but it looks promising!
This user is a proponent of the whole "Check your **** parenting" idea.

This is a signature. It goes at the end of my post.

Your face is so *adjective* that it *verb*s
Skasi
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Skasi »

Could you pleeease please please increase the brightness of the (very very) daaaark shades of gray? :)
It's really not playable on my monitor this way. (as I can't really see where I can place turrets)
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

Could you pleeease please please increase the brightness of the (very very) daaaark shades of gray?
It's really not playable on my monitor this way. (as I can't really see where I can place turrets)
the easiest way to fix that is to adjust your monitor a bit. you should increase the brightness and mess with gamma a bit. that should solve your problem.
Skasi
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Skasi »

I can't do anything about my monitor. Its gamma is higher than it should be and increasing anything else won't do it. I've played around with everything including colors and what not.
The fact is, that the colors are much too dark. I may sound like a pig head, but that's a fact. :P

As for the bug, I've reported on that tagbox:
Play around with upgrading stuff followed by undoing that upgrade. It somehow breaks the game (creating invulnerable non-moving victims and other stuff).
thacannon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by thacannon »

For the record: The creeps are not invincible

:lol:

Actually, it seems that way because of how the turrets are made; the basic NUD shoots ahead, hitting the creeps almost every time... unless they're still; the NUDs would just shoot slightly ahead, giving the impression that it's invulnerable...

We really need that pause function.
Also for the record: there IS a pause button... It's just not labeled pause Image . Try pressing the [X] button on the top right corner. (be warned: you can not minimize the game.. well at least I can't.)

Now for a little screw-up, TH15! (unless it's intended)

The lancet/l/r seems to fire when creeps are in their range...regardless of its line of fire! This would ultimately cripple the turret in a way... (creep gets in line of fire..when Lancet/l/r just fired, missing it... now it has to go through the reload at start. :cry: )
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

New version release
Download here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/NUDv003.zip

Got a new version out. Should address most concerns so far.

Code: Select all

v0.03
-Added a couple more levels
-tweaked adjacency bonuses, higher level nuds now give better bonuses
-tuned the survival algorithm better
-lancet nuds now only fire when a target is sighted
-tweaked baby steps so it's easier
-$ payout per invader killed increased 50% so you get to build more nuds
-tweaked some other levels too
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Nyme
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Nyme »

Very nice TD game here. Looking forward to the new nuds (meaning more strategies), and of course levels!

The current levels seem to be a bit too simple, because every single one of them can be passed with just mono/duo/tri nuds.

I also have a question. We have a "crt"-property, which is expressed in percents, leading me to think it means "critical". I also see the turrets sometimes shoot yellow bolts instead of the normal red ones, so this would support my hypothesis on existence of critical shots. But how much extra damage do these crits do?

Edit: you should also add NUD to the games list and make a notification about the new version on the main page.