NUD beta build

NUDNUDNUDNUDNUD

Moderators: th15, Moderators

FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

I'm seeing 0 as the interest rate on all of the first three levels. I'm also not getting any interest on my money. Is it supposed to be like that?

otherwise, nice update.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

The first few levels don't have interest. And interest is low enough that you need a huge amount of cash to see the difference.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

New Version Released
Go here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/nudgame.php

Quick update, not much gameplay changes but I did up the website for the game.

Code: Select all

v0.06
-Added tutorial text messages
-Changed start wave to a button instead of ENTER
Sean 'th15' Chan
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Cool! Thanks for pointing that out.
Sean 'th15' Chan
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

New Version Released
Download here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/nudgame.php

Totally re-did the balancing for this version. Mononuds are now actually pretty weak. Also. adjacency bonuses for all NUDs has been increased greatly. It should now be pretty clear that your NUDs are benefiting from adjacency bonuses.

Full changelog:

v0.07
-Changed nud balance significantly. All nuds now have increased adjacency bonuses at level 1. adjacency bonuses go up less with upgrades.
-Changed fire rate to RLD instead of SPD
-Corrected bonus fire rate indicator showing +x instead of -x
-Lancers fire slower but damage is increased, overall lancers should be more effective. They also penetrate 6 targets instead of 4 now
-Warpnud fire rate reduced considerably
-Made a whole game a fair bit harder
-Tutorial text now fades out if your mouse is over it.
-Highscore system now allows you to comment and rate game on the website by default

Also, I've wiped the highscores again because of all the balance changes. And I've noticed that people have been trying to submit scores with the old versions. That won't work, the highscore system will just ignore your submission.
Sean 'th15' Chan
Nyme
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Nyme »

A good update.

The first flaw is that the speed is not working. Apparently the maximum speed you can run the game decreases as time passes. While on Bifurcation, I noticed that in the beginning I could set it to at least 5x, but near wave 60 it was running 2x, no matter how high I tried to put it.

I would also argue against the "whole game is harder now", because I was able to reach wave 66 on Bifurcation with almost the same setup I had already tried before. The game seems to be in pretty good balance now, with no major glitches (at least I haven't found any yet).
Artman40
Commander
Commander

Post by Artman40 »

Nyme wrote:I would also argue against the "whole game is harder now", because I was able to reach wave 66 on Bifurcation with almost the same setup I had already tried before.
In which order should I build to survive that level?

Anyway, I think that lancet nuds upgrades should cost a bit less since at the moment the damage and range bonus they do, doesn't justify the price.
Nyme
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Nyme »

Artman40 wrote:In which order should I build to survive that level?
The level offers plenty of space, so you can make a long corridor, guarded by multiple Lancets and slowed down by Warps.

First, of course, build the maze (just look at some setups in the Best runs thread if you need help), then other Nuds. After Mononud maze, build and upgrade the Lancers and Warps, and, if necessary, build Shraps along the corridor.

It shouldn't be too hard to pass Bifurcation on normal with that setup.
Artman40
Commander
Commander

Post by Artman40 »

Weird that I remember when building a sharpnud, creeps went straight through it like it wasn't there.
Oh...and should I build right before enemies enter the main area to get a better interest at the start?
Nyme
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Nyme »

Artman40 wrote:Weird that I remember when building a sharpnud, creeps went straight through it like it wasn't there.
Oh...and should I build right before enemies enter the main area to get a better interest at the start?
If you first sell a nud and then place another in its place, it will let the creeps through for a while. This is to terminate the effectiveness of "juggling" (i.e. building two paths for creeps and repeatedly selling and constructing towers to block the other path while creeps are on it, thus holding their advance indefinitely). It applies on all nuds, not just the Shrap.

I think building just before the creeps enter won't earn much. It would earn you max. a few dozen $ (+2 per second and 0.35% interest on Bifurcation), so you could as well use up the money at start.
Artman40
Commander
Commander

Post by Artman40 »

Nyme wrote:
Artman40 wrote:Weird that I remember when building a sharpnud, creeps went straight through it like it wasn't there.
If you first sell a nud and then place another in its place, it will let the creeps through for a while. This is to terminate the effectiveness of "juggling" (i.e. building two paths for creeps and repeatedly selling and constructing towers to block the other path while creeps are on it, thus holding their advance indefinitely). It applies on all nuds, not just the Shrap.

I think building just before the creeps enter won't earn much. It would earn you max. a few dozen $ (+2 per second and 0.35% interest on Bifurcation), so you could as well use up the money at start.
Ok! I managed to complete the level. Few saved dozens help a bit to increase the amount of resources. Seems that continuing to build the maze only when necessary and not earlier is a good tactic and can save thousands which is useful later on on that level. Next level looks tough. Guess it's partly a puzzle game too.

To th15 - could you please make a map which would include tiles of which creeps cannot traverse but nuds could be built? That would increase the opportunities to use lance nud.
Nyme
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Nyme »

There is a bug while unpausing the game. I think it only occurs after the game has been paused with esc key for a while. It gives the error message

ERROR in
action number 1
of End Step Event
for object hvjyx0___GW_3saD_E9k_My:

Trying to use non-existing surface.
After clicking through several of these, the game continues normally.

Edit: I'm also using the opportunity to rant about Shrap balance here, in case th15 doesn't read the "Best runs"-thread.

Shraps surrounded by other Shraps seems a bit too powerful combo for me. The thing that does that is that the damage added by a Shrap is applied to every bullet the turret fires. This means that the real addition will be more like 45 than only 9, which is what other turrets gain.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

NUD is not dead! I've still got some bugs to work out before I release v0.08 but heres a quick sneak peek at what's coming:

v0.08
-Invader sprites made brighter so that they are easier to see
-Shrap nud changed completely, it now fires shrapnel in all directions around it when any target is in range. Its bullets will linger for a long time but will expire if they leave the range of the shrap nud
-You no longer de-select the nud to build if you run out of money or click on an occupied spot
-Added some more sounds
-Added a new nud, the glownud, this is a fast firing laser nud that does relatively low damage. It requires line of sight to fire (it will be blocked by other nuds) and it provides a fire rate increase to adjacent nuds.
-Mononuds now provide a damage increase instead of a fire rate increase.
-Rebalanced the whole game again. Completely changed the way that fire rate adjacency bonuses work. They are now tuned to give diminishing returns such that the % shown will be the effective increase in dps, taking all factors into account.
Sean 'th15' Chan
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

Hmm... I'm imagining setting up glownud artillery batteries on some of the maps already.

Also,theres an idea,why not have a condition in the game where you can play a map with ALL the nuds unlocked,so we could try a survival in Baby Steps(that was what it was called right?Forgot...) with shraps and warps.