NUD beta build

NUDNUDNUDNUDNUD

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Warpman
Commander
Commander

Post by Warpman »

btw. It seems that the hp of enemies in Survival depends on amount of $ spent on defences........
*thinks of exploits*
The Boz
Captain
Captain

Post by The Boz »

The "plowing through" of invaders is an idiotic idea. Now I can't ever, ever redesign my maze. Let's say I, for whatever reason, want to change a mono into a Shrap. If I want to do that, I must be prepared to let EVERY INVADER ON THE LEVEL go through the shortcut.
MAKE LOVE, NOT SPAM!
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

Might I suggest a 'gameplay tweaks' menu?

In this you could make a whole bunch of various minor gameplay changes to suit your wishes,of course... Having any of these active will invalidate your high score submission.
Warpman
Commander
Commander

Post by Warpman »

I wantz Image STINGERNUD that turns into into ARROWNUD THEN BECOMES HELLFIRENUD! :D Increases attached NUD's projectilespeed by 10%! :D It's missiles follow the enemy at 6\7\8 spd. Deals 10\15\20 dmg splash If blasts in narrow [1 width] corridor, blasting attached squares for 1\2\5 DMG! :D :D :D
Beamnuds
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Beamnuds »

How about just making the lancet pierce through everything.
Artman40
Commander
Commander

Post by Artman40 »

Hmmm...I've found that sharps indeed do a lot of damage if placed correctly, but unfortunately, it affects the maze layout. At the moment, level designs don't demand to use sharpNUds. Of course, that might mean that tiles with gimmicks would come in. For an example, if there are special tiles which creeps can traverse but where NUDs cannot be build upon, it could create a few places where sharpnuds might come in handy.
Nyme
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Nyme »

Beamnuds wrote:How about just making the lancet pierce through everything.
Not in a million years. Imagine a row of 10-20 creeps and a few lances piercing through all of them... that would make it overpowered. And if you lowered its damage to compensate it would become useless against anything less than 5-10 creeps in row.
Artman40 wrote:Hmmm...I've found that sharps indeed do a lot of damage if placed correctly, but unfortunately, it affects the maze layout. At the moment, level designs don't demand to use sharpNUds. Of course, that might mean that tiles with gimmicks would come in. For an example, if there are special tiles which creeps can traverse but where NUDs cannot be build upon, it could create a few places where sharpnuds might come in handy.
Th15 has stated before that he doesn't want to force something to be played at some way (see balance thread, page 2 for an example), and I support that. In my opinion adding tiles that only creeps can traverse would not give anything to the game, and there are better options to make the Shrap more useful. Like getting to build your own maze around the Shrap, which is already in game. Of course it affects the maze layout: you can't have everything in a single maze. I think it's the turret that needs balancing, not the environment.

For new Nud ideas, I would have something that can shoot over other Nuds, since currently we already have the Glow and the Shrap which are limited by other Nuds. Perhaps something like an artillery turret, with limited firing arc, decent range and AoE, or a seeker launcher somewhat like what Warpman had in mind. But those are just my ideas, and they're not necessarily interesting.

I would avoid a 'bonus giver only'-type of Nud, but that's my personal preference. And we won't need a 'cheap Nud for building a maze', since we already have that in the form of the Mono and the Glow. A railgun we already have (Lance) and a slowdown Nud, a staple of TD games, in the form of the Warp.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

The shraps are missing something right now. It will actually be possible get creep traveling through all 8 surrounding squares of a shrap because of the coloured invaders and coloured blockers. So the red invaders might go around one side and green invaders might go around the other. This full coverage would increase shrap accuracy a fair bit more than current.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Artman40
Commander
Commander

Post by Artman40 »

Guess that needs a new level to test the theory?

So, sharps are loners?
Warpman
Commander
Commander

Post by Warpman »

I use shraps at the points where my maze turns 180'
In this position shrap is blocked only from 1 side and can hit from 7 sides.The best use I found it. Only need to put a warp near :roll: :roll: :roll:
Beamnuds
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Beamnuds »

th15 wrote:The shraps are missing something right now. It will actually be possible get creep traveling through all 8 surrounding squares of a shrap because of the coloured invaders and coloured blockers. So the red invaders might go around one side and green invaders might go around the other. This full coverage would increase shrap accuracy a fair bit more than current.
But it would decrease the efficacy of the rest of the maze.
Artman40
Commander
Commander

Post by Artman40 »

Mhm! Sharps just don't seem to get along very well.

I've noticed that Monos, on higher upgrades give lower bonuses than Glows.
Single beam Gives 40% speed bonus to adjacent NUDs. So while mono gives higher bonus on lower levels to other Monos and Glows, it is not so for Sharps, Lancets and upgraded Monos and Glows where the damage bonus becomes smaller. Maybe because Glows give % bonus but Monos constant bonus.
Beamnuds
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Beamnuds »

Artman40 wrote:Mhm! Sharps just don't seem to get along very well.

I've noticed that Monos, on higher upgrades give lower bonuses than Glows.
Single beam Gives 40% speed bonus to adjacent NUDs. So while mono gives higher bonus on lower levels to other Monos and Glows, it is not so for Sharps, Lancets and upgraded Monos and Glows where the damage bonus becomes smaller. Maybe because Glows give % bonus but Monos constant bonus.
That's why you spam glows instead of monos. :P

I don't think shrapnel is actually useful in any kind of situation at all. Too expensive for breaking normal high scores, no use in survival because the 180 requirement forces you to sacrifice a lot of tower spots and bonuses.
Artman40
Commander
Commander

Post by Artman40 »

Not to mention, Sharps won't provide any bonuses to other NUDs either. Guess we need a 5th attribute to which NUD can be improved besides rate of fire, range, critical hit chance and damage.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Fire Rtae % bonuses are converted on a diminishing returns table. The % it shows you is overall DPS increase. So +20% fire rate doesn't mean you fire 20% faster, it means that it fires fast enough to do 20% more dps.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]