NUD beta build

NUDNUDNUDNUDNUD

Moderators: th15, Moderators

th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

That's a good point, might as well make survival unlock all NUD types on its own.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Nyme
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Nyme »

Hey, the patch notes sound great!

I hope the Shrap becomes balanced after the change, but not underpowered. I also hope that Mono damage bonus will not make Mono too powerful again.

Keep up the good work.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

The problem with Mono's before, when they had a flat fire rate bonus is that the effective damage per second increase each one gave increased as you got more mononuds around one nud.

For example, if the nud started out with 50 fire rate and had it reduced by 10, its DPS increases by 20%. You build another nud beside it and now it goes from 40 fire rate to 30 fire, an effective increase of 33%. Then it becomes 51% from 30 to 20 and finally 200% when you've built the last one (goes from 20 fire rate to 10 fire rate).

This system was fundamentally flawed since there's no way to possibly jigger things to make other strategies effective.

The new fire rate system gives diminishing returns so that the effective DPS increase is always equal to thefire rate bonus shown. Mononuds now give +20% dps to adjacent nuds, meaning that it increases the effective dps of all adjacent nuds by 20%. Having 4 mononuds around one nud would increase its dps by 80% total.
Sean 'th15' Chan
Artman40
Commander
Commander

Post by Artman40 »

Oh...are now all nuds balanced too so all of them will be useful in different situations?
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

New Version Released
Download here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/games/NUDv008.zip

Changelog:

Code: Select all

v0.08
-Invader sprites made brighter so that they are easier to see
-Shrap nud changed completely, it now fires shrapnel in all directions around it when any target is in range. Its bullets will linger for a long time but will expire if they leave the range of the shrap nud
-You no longer de-select the nud to build if you run out of money or click on an occupied spot
-Added some more sounds
-Added a new nud, the glownud, this is a fast firing laser nud that does relatively low damage. It requires line of sight to fire (it will be blocked by other nuds) and it provides a fire rate increase to adjacent nuds.
-Mononuds now provide a damage increase instead of a fire rate increase.
-Rebalanced the whole game again. Completely changed the way that fire rate adjacency bonuses work. They are now tuned to give diminishing returns such that the % shown will be the effective increase in dps, taking all factors into account.
-survival mode now enables all nud types.
-Accelerate game key changed back to shift key
-You can now change the accelerated game speed multiplier by pressing PgUp/PgDn while holding the shift key.
-You can accelerate the game using mousewheel up/dn.
-In normal play, you receive 1500 points for each life remaining.
-You receive no interest in survival mode, regardless of level.
-Improved some sprites.
-Tweaked some normal levels to have more waves.
Sean 'th15' Chan
Artman40
Commander
Commander

Post by Artman40 »

Hmmm...glownuds are interesting and add some more variety. However, it seems sharpnuds are much less useful than the previous version. Not to mention the fact that they don't give adjacent bonuses to nearby nuds.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Shrap nuds are most effective if you stick a mono beside it, the damage bonus counts for a lot with shraps. There are very limited good places to put shraps, you need to have the invaders going around it in as many directions as possible and have a "shell" of NUDs to bounce the bullets back.
Sean 'th15' Chan
The Boz
Captain
Captain

Post by The Boz »

Shraps are OK at or near the tips of single-file walls, but they're still weakish... Since their usefulness is limited by the small number of connections, I think their default refire rate should be slightly increased.
BTW, GlowNuds are imbalanced. It's true, the LoS and refire bonus is better than the god-of-nus mono, their 100% hitrate and huge range are awesome, and their "low" damage is doubled by placing a mono behind them. While that mono fires faster.
Lost of people have suggested a "basic" wall nud, why not give it to them? A very very short range Nud that requires LoS to deal weak damage, provides no buffs to nearby nuds, and has 0% crit chance. Have it cost 50 and there, simple cheap maze tool!
MAKE LOVE, NOT SPAM!
Artman40
Commander
Commander

Post by Artman40 »

Maybe making the glownud do deal damage based on creep's moving speed would be a good idea. So glownuds would do more damage to faster creeps. We already have nuds which are most useful on slower creeps (warpnud) and groups of creeps (lance nud).

Oh...I think some level design changes should be made in Twoway. You can't do a lot when creeps are in long corridors since all you can do, is to put unsupported lance nuds to both ends of both corridors.

And add a cap to interest rate because you have a LOT of money in the end.

P.S. Is there a way to show glownud's firing arc?
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

I've put a cap on the interest gain.

As for twoway, you can try lining the inside with glow nuds, that tends to work better than just a lancet will.

I would want to show the glownud's firing arc, but that sort of thing requires a fair bit of calculation. It's something I want to do, but is quite complicated to implement so I'll leave it till I have some time to spare on it.
Sean 'th15' Chan
Artman40
Commander
Commander

Post by Artman40 »

Oh, by the way, could you please make scrolling between levels faster and being able to show at least 6 levels onscreen instead of 3 to enable faster level selecting in the menu?
Warpman
Commander
Commander

Post by Warpman »

There are 6 slots for NUDs. But only 5 nuds...what will the the 6th NUD?
The Boz
Captain
Captain

Post by The Boz »

I noticed the Interest is bugged to 0% on a few levels... Is this intentional, or?
MAKE LOVE, NOT SPAM!
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Some levels (the earlier ones) don't have interest. Also, interest is disabled in Survival mode as that got out of hand really really fast.

Warpman: Yea, I haven't decided what the 6th NUD will be yet. I'm kicking around a few ideas but I figured I might as well get the other 5 NUDs setup nicely first.
Sean 'th15' Chan
Warpman
Commander
Commander

Post by Warpman »

hmm..... let me guess.....classics.....teslaNUD?!
Or maybe something wierd? PoisonNUD?
Or torchNUD? [upgrades to FIRENUD and then to NAPALMNUD! :D ]
or maybe substationNUD? doesn't shoot but gives 1\2 of all bonuses [like lvl3 will give everything 1\2 of dmg bonus from triNUD and 8% crt....]