Weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

STARSTRUCK

Re: Weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Fuck it, I'll post.

I'll take a Croon HS010. The only disadvantage I can think of is that I might sprain my thumb filling the magazines with whatever gun food they'd eat in real life-- likely .22LR.
CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by CryoSleep »

That is one hell of a gun.
Creations
Cryoware Enterprises, where ideas go
Cryoware Heavy Yards, Heavy ships
Delphinus Gulf Wars (Formerly War for the Universe)
Coalition of Terra
Quote of the occasion: It takes one man to change the world
-Desert-
Captain
Captain

Re: Inverse square law

Post by -Desert- »

Lukasmah, the inverse square law is something this universe possesses. It tells anything that consists of energy rays of any kind to spread as they get farther away from the source. It even applies to gravity :O
You'll all wonder what the hell it has to do with that lazor. It means it has to be extremely concentrated if you want it to work at long range.

Anyway, check my first post. It has a link to a full explanation of the inverse square law.
Quite frankly I wonder why I ever began making ships for this. You see, my work never becomes quite as good as I feel it deserves to.
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Inverse square law

Post by Lukasmah »

-Desert- wrote:Lukasmah, the inverse square law is something this universe possesses. It tells anything that consists of energy rays of any kind to spread as they get farther away from the source. It even applies to gravity :O
You'll all wonder what the hell it has to do with that lazor. It means it has to be extremely concentrated if you want it to work at long range.

Anyway, check my first post. It has a link to a full explanation of the inverse square law.
Phasers aren't lasers. They're kinetic weapons (although they do thermal damage, too).
"Quotes posted on the internet are hard to verify."
-Abraham Lincoln
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

^I don't think you are right, however, I do not have the knowledge to prove otherwise.
naysayers will be shot
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

Doogie12 wrote:^I don't think you are right, however, I do not have the knowledge to prove otherwise.
They fire streams of particles. That counts as kinetic, or?
-Abraham Lincoln
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

No. They are not lasers, but they do not behave anything like a kinetic weapon.

Besides which, particle beams (beams of focused, sub-atomic particles) have more in common with a laser than they do with conventional kinetic weapons, so it makes more sense to think of them as energy weapons rather than kinetic ones.

Of course, Star Trek phasers don't generally behave like a particle beam weapon would either. Because Star Trek just kinda pulls shit out of its ass, which isn't necessarily bad.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
-Desert-
Captain
Captain

Post by -Desert- »

It was not my idea about that inverse square law (danny came up with it, remember?) but I suppose the phaser might count as kinetic because of the particles.
On the other hand, those particles do seem to behave somewhat like an energy beam...

I can't follow it anymore.
Quite frankly I wonder why I ever began making ships for this. You see, my work never becomes quite as good as I feel it deserves to.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

You suppose it might. But it doesn't. There is a big difference between an actual kinetic weapon and a particle beam.

And beside all of that, the inverse square law would apply regardless of whether it behaved like a kinetic impacter or a thermal weapon or something in between.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
-Desert-
Captain
Captain

Post by -Desert- »

Great, case solved.

If a zombie apocalypse arose, I'd probably grab some sniper rifle and a pistol that both have compact ammo. Oh, and a knife.
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

Spoilers: My actual real life honest-to-Valhalla kinetic weapon (which is a standard Remington Model 870 shotgun) is also subject to the inverse square law. At ten yards with a full choke it will pattern 00 buckshot into a six inch (~15cm) circle. Twenty yards downrange the pattern is a foot (~30cm) across.

More info about weapons can be found at Atomic Rocket.
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

But I still have no idea why it matters.
-Abraham Lincoln
-Desert-
Captain
Captain

Post by -Desert- »

Wait, I know! Your phaser will be effective as lang as you don't try to hit zombies at 30 yards away. As range increases, the damage is spread out over a larger area, rendering it pretty much useless for that.

Anyhow, you said something about buying yourself some time in your first post, which makes me think you were already planning on using it for close-range zombie frying. (correct me if I'm wrong)
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

Well yes. I'd use wide beam as a close range panic weapon when a horde of zombies is after me.
-Abraham Lincoln
-Desert-
Captain
Captain

Post by -Desert- »

Nothing like that to fry anything in a short distance. I bet it would burn through buildings if you needed an escape route...