Zalausai's BSF Blog

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Zalausai's BSF Blog

Post by Zalausai »

This thread is meant to serve as a sort of reminder for me. Since my cat is retarded and destroyed my notes, this will serve as a form of electronic logbook. It will also let other users know what I am doing as far as tutorials go and make suggestions.

Current plans.
1. Check ideas presented in the cloaking tutorial. Possibly rewrite supporting user input.
2. Write a turret tutorial for newbies. Although Anna has one, where I myself learned to make turrets, I want to make one that reads less. . . hostile sounding.
3. As an advanced part of the turret tutorial, articulated arms will be explained in a section within it. Because articulated arms require turrets to work, they will be featured there in an advanced section.

If you would like to suggest future tutorials or report a flaw in one that already exists, let me know here.
Zalausai
Last edited by Zalausai on Wed May 08, 2013 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Re: Zalausai's Tutorials

Post by Anna »

Zalausai wrote:2. Write a turret tutorial for newbies. Although Anna has one, where I myself learned to make turrets, I want to make one that reads less. . . hostile sounding.
Hostility is a powerful motivator, though! :lol:

That's fair enough, though. My turret tutorial was made in response to someone failing so spectacularly that he actually managed to break the .sb4 and link two things to each other in a way that shouldn't have been possible and required me deleting the weapon in question to remove it. So yeah... there was more than a smidgen of hostility there, and a more newbie-friendly one for people who haven't done anything wrong sounds like a good idea!

If you keep making such useful tutorials I might actually have to give you a Custom Title sooner than I thought.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

With the completion of plan 1, I now move on to plan 2 (it's been approved by the statement above.

Plan 4 has been added (I will try to maintain three at a time)
4. Create a thread within the "Shipmaker Info and Help II" containing links to all tutorials. It will function as an index and save on time hunting down tutorials should they ever get buried. Said topic will be linked to my signature personally (since it probably won't get a sticky until there are at least five or more tutorials finished).

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.

Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

Plan 2 and 3 have been completed.
Adding. . .
5. Create a moving and rotating sections tutorial. Include advanced techniques such as tails, tentacles, and stuff.

6. Ask for suggestions for other tutorials.

Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

Putting other tutorial plans aside. I have been challenged with a tutorial to recreate self-launching and self-fighting "drone" sections. The most advanced specimen that I've encountered thus far, this will take some time to reverse engineer.
This will replace the current plan at step 5, moving the old step 5 down to step 6.

Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

Finally got the time to look at the advanced specimen for the tutorial. Although I have an understanding of it, I can't write about it until I establish cornerstones with other tutorials. I would like to write a more detailed version of the advanced documentation for triggers. It will explain the various settings, effects, and how to use them. It will also require a tutorial on moving and rotating sections.

The post will function as a request to the moderators.
Can I have permission to write the former tutorial? A detailed and newbie friendly version would help. It will be linked to the original.

Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

You do not need to ask permission to write tutorials, dude. Every single one you write is a benefit to the forum and every new member, and frankly having this sort of thing well-documented and tutorial-ised would be a very good thing.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

I'll do my best. I actually test the things that I write about. I'm still working with the "weapon acquired target" and "weapon lost target" triggers. They are fickle, so I'm seeing what they work with reliably. With things in real life taking precedence and demanding time. (My wife is five months pregnant. It's a boy.)

Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

Congrats!

Keep us posted on the tests. The trigger doesn't seem to match what the weapon is actually doing, the weapon can be panning to face its acquired target but the trigger won't activate :P
Deus Est Mechanicus

Owner of 'The Novian Empire', a Delphinius Gulf Wars faction.
Fleet Version 1.8 is finally available for download!
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7081
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

Going possibly away from my comp for a few days. Making a list for my reference.

Make the color changing clip depletion effect requested by Majicnanas.
Work on my first sprite.
Fix HG ships to use listed damage instead of expected damage as pointed out by Arcalane.
Shorten Cerberus' cannons by 20%.
Combine rotating cannons and "fireball" effect for the HLB 06.
Come up with a name for HLB 06. I am thinking "Omen".
Ask public about the name "Hydra" for the HLB 07. Based on the seven headed serpent
Write a tutorial for creating HLB weapon effects.

This is a personal"to-do" list for my reference. Other users may comment more things to add to it.

Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

Completed color changing weapons, shortened cerberus' barrels, worked on the HG spreadsheet (waiting for input for what to do with it). Got feedback about "Hydra"

I'll work on the sprites later. Going to work on the HLB 06 Omen and more HLB stuff (flag, logo, whatever). I am unsure of what to do for the Omen's overall look. Considering going with something evil looking due to the faction itself and the significance of the number 6 in demonology (especially the triple 6s). Trying to capture something "unique" without violating any rules or causing a religious flamewar. It is a very "sensitive" entry to the faction.

Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

To do:

Remake "War"
Make a few more antenna sprites
Finish testing and produce a newbie frientdy and descriptive version of the Additional Documentation (advanced features)

Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Re: Zalausai's BSF Blog

Post by Zalausai »

Renamed the thread to fit its purpose more accurately.

To do:
Continue the "super newbie handbook".
Fix "Death's" large wings.
Consider a new title, because after the large handbook project is complete, there won't really be many tutorial options left.

Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

Expect delays on all projects. I have to go to a rural town to visit the in-laws until Monday. I won't be able to work on the handbook or ship interiors until then. Why? Because their computer can't support BSF or Doombuilder. Seriously, the title screen plays at 10 FPS.
:cry:

Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

I am currently working on an advanced weapon ship for the HLB. The main weapon is composed of 72 weapons and they all fire over the course of 35 frames. Just asking people who know about balance, what Laser Wars weapon should I use for them? Preferably long range.
Different wepons can be used, as long as they are in the same packs of 3 weapons (making 24 barrels).
It is meant to mimic the transforming actions of the Rim Fighter by D00D!. (Loosely)

Testing is going well. I have possibly made a more stable version of the rotary cannon. Specifically where the barrel is always forward when firing instead of the current non-stop rotation. If successful, all HLB cannons will use the new trigger setup.

50 triggers and counting. I like triggers.