Into the Wastelands

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

AmnEn
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Into the Wastelands

Post by AmnEn »

Warning, includes yet another Board RPG.

Prelude
I've allways been a sucker for Wasteland Scenarios. You know, mankind dropping big bad bombs onto each other, effectively kicking their own butts back into the Dark Ages. Dark Ages with Guns and Sci Fi Technology just waiting to be picked up by scavengers. Dark Ages with three meter large Rabbits, sporting Claws instead of Paws.
It doesn't come as a surprise that I've been organizing Wasteland based P&P Sessions for a long time. Of course a board is no place for a P&P but it can still be the base for a Playerdriven Story.
This is what I'm about to try. Based upon the World of Fallout, one of those post nuclear worlds leaning towards the late 50s when it comes to style and packing sarcasm filled Action, Conspiracy and Radiation. Interested? Grab your guns and proceed to the next part. Not interested? Well, good. Don't spam the thread then please.

First Steps
Whether you're a complete Fallout Newbie or a Die-Hard Hardcore Fanatic like me, it's allways good to have a look at the actual background Information. A good place to start would be the Fallout Wiki Page which you can find here. It should get you started and provide enough in depth Information should it be required.
The next step would be to make a character. Now since this is a Forum based game we can ignore the whole SPECIAL Deal completely as we won't be rolling dice. I'll be the GM for this game and in the end I will decide whether a bullet hits or not and what kind of damage it will do. I will be deciding, based upon the quality of the post and the probability of the action.

Example:
Following scenario - The good and the bad and George the ugly are standing in a circle. Someone dropped the bomb right inbetween them. The mood is pissed and everyone is screaming and bitching at each other, the whole situation is quickly spinning out of control.

Bad Example:
"I pick my gun and shoot their leader"
Now... well okay. It describes what you do but you forgot how. What I will assume then is that you just grabbed your gun as you said, lifted it and triggered the bullet. In complete disregard of everyone else around you. Chance of success? 0%.

Good Example:
"I have a good look around, my eye is twitching a bit as well as sweat decides to pour down my forehead. My fingers caress over the colt steel of the .45 Colt in my hand. I grow quiet for the moment, letting the arguement continue for a while in an attempt to move every attention away from me. And then, I pull my gun up and attempt a fast shot at their leader".

Lots better, not only does it give everyone something to read, it also describes how you plan to do it. Whether it is a good idea to start blazing guns in the middle of a standoff is a completely different topic.

How things will be organized
Basically I'm your GM for this game. This means that I will be the one to drop plot devices and govern whether your things work out in the end or not.
Of course I won't be monitoring everything, that would be Orwell Style. I don't require a throw for drinking. And I don't care whether you steal that dudes pants or not. Well actually I do. But you get the idea.

What this means:
You can play your characters for all you want. Everything you do to someone elses character, you must clear up with that player. Everything you try in the world or with critical NPCs, needs a reaction from me. This includes activating a computer interface as well as shooting a gangs leader. Everything that would cause a larger reaction basically.

Another thing I'd like to note is that I tend to let things get hilarious in a black humour sort of way. Characters will die and they will loose things like eyes, a finger or a whole arm. When does this happen? Whenever they attempt something stupid or luck just decided to have a piss. Now don't be paranoid about this, I'm not a sadist. It's simply accomadting to the dangerous world of fallout. And well, it can be fun to see your character go out with a bang when they decided to drop a Torch into the Toilet.

I'll be checking this thread every day, a multitude of times though I'll be mostly sticking to GMT+1 Times so don't expect any stunts late at night. You don't need my clearance for every post and if things tend to go on without me for a while, that's fine too, I can adapt. I'll be your Gamemaster, not your storyteller. Let's see how it goes then.

Introduction. Where do YOU start?

It's the year 2243. A dark shadow has just been lifted from the wastelands and the last bits of government have died with the ultimate demise of the Enclave when someone only known as the Chosen One destroyed their Oil Platform.
The nuclear blast that emerged from the reprogrammed reactor could be seen for many miles. But what does it really matter? Just a bit more radiation here and there. There is plenty of it anyways.

You're on your way to the NCR Capital. Whether it be the rumor of work, the promise of money or just having to stock up on water. At the horizon you can allready see the first outskirts of the city. Now and then a bright flash of light blinds you as the bright sunlight is caught within the scope of a rifle aimed at you. Just your average NCR Scoutpatrol watching you from the distance.

After a while of walking and being left alone, you arrive in the outer settlements of NCR. Smoke is blurring the air and the sun is turning everything into a melting pot. The funny stench of human slaves kept under poor conditions is lingering the air as you glance a look at the Slave quarters. A look around reveals a huge red sign next to the walls of the inner settlement.

Someone wrote basic laws on it and painted some funny looking images beneath it to make it clear to even the dumbest of people.

* No weapons (someone painted a broken gun)
* No Drugs (a scrynge and a bottle in the trash bin)
* No Slavery (a humanoid figure and a red circle around it)
* No Gambling (Cards on fire)
* No Prostitution (a childish looking image of female features with a circle around it)

You have arrived in the outer skirts of NCR. What do you do?
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Name: Johannas "Grit" Baumer
Former army sniper, he quit shortly after his commanding officer had tried to confiscate his .223 Pistol his father had given him under the premise that 'it was military property'.

I look around discreetly around the camp, as to attract the least attention.

He quietly hid the .223 Pistol his father had passed down upon him far back... Very far back. It was more precious than his life, and probably worth much more than it should be been sold as a slave...

I walk into the nearest pub, hoping to find some interesting information.
Last edited by Normandy on Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
AmnEn
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by AmnEn »

The slavers are far too busy dealing with customers while the nearby NCR guards yawn and lean against the wall towards the inner settlement. One of them looks in Baumer's direction while chewing on something that looks like a purple lizard on a wooden stick.
As your eyes wander around you can really just make out one Pub in the vincinity. It has a huge flashing sign of a bottle of beer on top of it. Only that the sign doesn't flash anymore and probably hasn't done so for a few hundred years. Someone wrote "Grethas Hole" with grungy red color onto the sign.

As you enter the Hole you can see one of those typical run down generic Pubs which can be found all around the wasteland with one key difference. The Barkeeper is a towering female Super Mutant, clad in a leather armor that has been mounted to her skin with linchpins. She glints a toothless grin in your direction and waves you over "Oi t'er meatbag, want some Radsgulp?".
There are some patrons in the bar. Two of them have the obvious tattoos of the Slaver Guild but they merely mind their own business and gift you with ignorance. There are some merchants argueing about something about which you can only hear two words of the conversation and probably only because they nowadays ring such a loud bell. "Vault City".
There are also some obvious locals, a grumpy old man that is gulping down some beer that true to the word printed on its outside glows. A young female with fiery red hair can be found talking with an ugly middle aged men with glasses. They drop some words about the flash of light to the west.

// edit:
On an OOC Note, you might want to have another look at the age of your character. The current date is 2243 while your character experienced the great war in 2077.

// edit 2:
on hold due to lack of interest. If there are ever enough interested in this I'll happily re open it.