Project Tellus

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Project Tellus

Post by Silverware »

Hello people, since this is the most appropriate place to put this I shall put it here.

I've had the idea for a game floating around my head for the last 5 years and even had a few stabs at creating it, but I've finally gotten my proverbial together, and am slowly nailing each nail of the design process into the thing.

You can read the Development Blog for updates on the progress and you can ask questions on it too.
The questions do require you to be logged into Tumblr, but I will also add replies to questions posted here.

Just thought some of you might enjoy the game, and provide feedback to it as the development process moves on.
Orelius
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Project Tellus

Post by Orelius »

Seems like a game that I'd want to play! Of course, I'd probably need to know a bit more about it. In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Also, some questions:

How will it play?
Learning curve?
What kind of graphics will you go for?
Spoiler!
Atomic Avocado wrote:Think about section spam like this.
Congrats! Youve been promoted to head designer for a car company! Now for your first design are you going to cover the car in tires? In axles? In bumpers? NO! Your going design something that uses the right parts for the right places.
Orelius's Hopefully Decent Ships!
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

The game play will be reminiscent of Master of Orion if you've played that, or Sword of the Stars.
Diplomacy will be a big thing, and will hopefully keep people busy, trying to balance enemies with friends.
Most production and research sides of it will be toned down and kept rather simple, with possibilities for unlimited research into any area, but these sides of it may be fleshed out if I find that its too easy to control a large empire.

As far as learning curve, it won't be too difficult to pick up and play, at least I hope not, but the biggest thing will be learning how to coordinate your empire at the scale I'm hoping the game gets to, controlling one planet is easy, controlling a hundred is quite another matter.

Since its web based the graphics can't be much, however I intend to provide both a semi-static web environment for it, mostly being PHP without Javascript, and a fully integrated Javascript and AJAX side which will allow you to play and read the forums without having to reload your page.
As for the rest of the graphics, initially it will just be stand in graphics that are kept simple, but eventually I am hoping to hire someone to provide images and what-not that are needed for the site.
I'm going for the clean futuristic feel of the game too if that helps your idea of it.
If not take a look at AstroEmpires, thats similar to what I want to do, at least for the semi-static side of it
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

What would be the minimum system requirments to play the game?
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

An internet connection, and something more powerful than a VT-100 =P
Its browser based, so there won't be any real specifications, anyone with an internet connection can play, I will also be putting in an ability to download the images and use them from your own pc to make it faster for people on dial-up to play with minimal load times.