Lost In The Wastes - Let's Play Fallout 3! (VLP)

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Lost In The Wastes - Let's Play Fallout 3! (VLP)

Post by Anna »

Hey guys! So, after some testing I've discovered that I can actually record Fallout 3 at a fairly decent quality and a fairly tolerable framerate, and I've had a somewhat interesting idea for an LP. Well, an entertaining idea, anyway. Test videos can be found here and here.

So, the basic concept is this: Unlike the usual Fallout 3 game, where you play an adult, we will be playing as a child, thanks to the Children of the Wastes mod. Our character will need to eat and sleep and drink water in order to survive, and will also need to perform triage to cure crippled limbs, thanks to the Fallout Wanderer's Edition mod, which adds a buttload of new features.

Now, before we get started though, I thought I'd let you guys decide on character creation. So guys, lets put this to a vote. If there's no consensus on things like the name, I'll just pick the one I like the most, or make a portmanteau of some of the suggestions.

So, here's what you get to vote on:

Name: Just make a suggestion, or agree with someone else's suggestion. Character will be female, so name submissions should be girls names, but if you want to submit a male name... well.

Focus: Since letting you guys pick out the exact SPECIAL and skill configurations would be too much trouble, instead you get to vote one what sort of skills we should be focusing on. Pick two.

• Close Combat
  • Ranged Combat
  • Stealth
  • Explosives/Heavy Weapons
  • Peacemaker
  • Tinkerer

Background: The game adds several optional backgrounds which you can choose that let you skip the Vault 101 beginning. Unless we go for the Vault 101 background, I'll be ignoring the main quest for a fair while and just exploring the wastes and doing other quests. I left out the ones that would make no sense for a child at all. Here are the backgrounds you can pick from:
  • Vault Dweller: The basic startup. Vault 101. Will involve playing rushing through the intro which I've been through a million fucking times.
  • Escaped Slave: You've lived a life of slavery and as a result you've become accustomed to using your hands to take care of business (+10 Unarmed) and moving quickly to avoid the whip (+5% speed). However, a lack of education has left you woefully unskilled with technology (-10 Science). Starts with Unremovable Disarmed Slave Collar, Slavers will shoot on sight.
  • Scavenger: Living the life of a scavenger you've learned to find parts and pieces in the most obscure locations. You have also become conditioned to lugging all of your "treasures" around the wastes (+15 to Carrying Capacity). But with all the time in the world, speed has never been on your side (-5% speed) Starts with "Scrounger" perk.
  • Refugee: Your entire life you've always been on the move, never settling down. You've been constantly attacked by Super Mutants, Raiders and Slavers alike and have become quite proficient at hiding from them (+10 Sneak). You've also relied on your words more to find refuge among other Wastelanders (+5 to Speech). A lack of education has left you slower in other subjects (-5 Medicine, -5 Science)
  • Android: You are a mechanically engineered bio-form known as an Android. You feel, think, breathe and eat like a human, but you are far from it. Your cybernetic nature makes you a little tougher than the average human (Recieve the Cyborg Perk), but a little slower on the draw (-15 Action Points).
  • Mechanic: You've always had a gift with mechanical parts, earning a bonus to your repair skill (+15). Furthermore, you seem to possess a strange aura about you, and robots will never fire on you unprovoked. Time spent talking to machines all day has left you a little awkward around your fellow humans (-10 to speech). Robots and RobCo Bots are friendly.
There we go, that's everything. Though if you'd like to suggest a hair or eye colour for the character, go for it.

Also, should I stick with doing voice-over commentary, or should I use subtitles for the character's inner-monologue, for a more serious sort of LP?
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
STARSTRUCK

Re: Lost In The Wastes - Let's Play Fallout 3! (VLP)

Post by STARSTRUCK »

I'll be quick I guess. Need to get up for school...

Name: Elie Fitzmartin

Focus: Explosives/Heavy Weapons + Stealth
(CHAINGUN ASSASSINATIONS)

Background: Android
(LITTLE ANDROID GIRL)

Eye color: Silver
Hair color: Plat blonde or something

Play in a Lawful Good fashion. This android was built with an idealist and messianic personality.

Do a subtitled LP.
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

Damm, ninja'd by SS, anyways, what SS said
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!
Aralonia
Butt Admiral
Butt Admiral

Post by Aralonia »

Character name: any I don't care

Stealth/Peacemaker. Take eventual proficiency as melee. Get the sleep assassination ability. "Oh I'm sorry you didn't agree? I'll kill you in your sleep."

Background: Mechanic. Robot frieeends
DPUO wrote:<+AirHippo> Funnily enough, folks who abide by the law and try to make something of their lives don't appreciate the rich kids of rich parents getting away with murder and skimming through life.
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Name: Technically called S3G Model 11 (or whatever you want to poot een), but some dyslexic person with slur-speeched called tended to call the android 'eleven' for short, sounding more like Evelyn. 'Evelyn' stuck. Last name probably takes after the creator.

Focus: Stealth
I was split between Tinkerer and Ranged Combat. But Stealth is INDEED necessary since the mods being used in here will up the lethality of combat.

Whoever is the creator probably has enough psychological issues to make an android into the shape of a lolibot, and that would be the most believable explanation for having a little girl wandering the post-apocalyptic wonderland of Fally Outy.

No suggestions for colourings.
Cynsye
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Cynsye »

Name: Whatever you feel like.

Focus: Stealth, Peacemaker.
Sneak past the evil, befriend the not so evil.

Seems like the best idea for loli adventurer in post-apocalypse Washington.
Hades
Commander
Commander

Post by Hades »

Name: Whatever

Focus: Stealth/Ranged Combat

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Stealth/Ranged with a side of Tinkering. Yes.

Now shut up. Gosh. >:C
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

i'm with starstruck
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
Anna

Post by Anna »

First video won't be for a few days due to RL complications, so there's plenty of time to keep voting.

With Focus it's a tie between Stealth + Explosives/Heavy Weapon and Stealth + Ranged Weapons. If I was forced to choose between the two, I'd go with the former, just because Stealth + Ranged Weapons is pretty much the standard sort of playthrough, and it would be nice to try something a little different for the LP.

Plus, it could make for some really entertaining Game Over-montage videos.

Seems like the Android Background has an unassailable lead.

Only two name suggestions and only one appearance suggestion? Hm. Oh well.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Orelius
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Orelius »

Name: Any
Focus: Stealth
Background: ANDROID
Spoiler!
Atomic Avocado wrote:Think about section spam like this.
Congrats! Youve been promoted to head designer for a car company! Now for your first design are you going to cover the car in tires? In axles? In bumpers? NO! Your going design something that uses the right parts for the right places.
Orelius's Hopefully Decent Ships!
Anna

Post by Anna »

Pssst. You get to pick two Focuses, not just one. :P
Quality Control Enforcer
Orelius
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Orelius »

Silly me, I'm not reading carefully.

I say stealth and heavy weapons/explosives, as contradictory as that may seem.
Spoiler!
Atomic Avocado wrote:Think about section spam like this.
Congrats! Youve been promoted to head designer for a car company! Now for your first design are you going to cover the car in tires? In axles? In bumpers? NO! Your going design something that uses the right parts for the right places.
Orelius's Hopefully Decent Ships!
Anna

Post by Anna »

First Episode is up. Unfortunately, not much happens in it, because I only really had 15 minutes to work with, and that meant I only just got to Megaton if I rushed it. Still, you get to meet the main character, and her trusty sidekick Dogmeat!

Video Link is the picture!

Now, from here on I'd like some votes one what we should do. Ideally, if we'd like to get some explosives and heavy weapons, we should do some of Moira's missions, which will give us plenty of opportunities to get grenades and mines. This video didn't show it, mostly because I was lucky and the Raiders I encountered were dumb and only had melee weapons, but guns are damn lethal with FWE installed, and we can die with only a handful of shots if something goes wrong. Makes for some interesting combat situations.

Alternatively, we could just explore a bit and get phat loot. It's ultimately up to you guys.

Also, do you want us to be good or bad or some mixture of the two? What of Megaton? It's built around an undetonated nuclear weapon. We can disarm it, or rig it to explode (from a safe distance). Both of these options have potential rewards. Which will it be?

For those curious, here's our current stats.
Quality Control Enforcer
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Do Moira's quests, go get the Stick of Mole-rat Headbursting +5.

Just remember to be careful if you go to the shopping mart or wherever it is.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ