Resources/Sprite Permission

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Resources/Sprite Permission

Post by LactoseTolerant »

Does anyone know of a good sprite/sound databases? After working with SM for so long, i've gotten the urge to make a game :oops: .
Last edited by LactoseTolerant on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Depends upon what you want, but google images works well for the sprites, just wander around and fiddle with your keywords.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

I'm more intrested in a sound database, as i'm making a Shoot-em-up, and BSF SM is perfect for making the sprites :lol: .

Life happens.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Not to discourage you or anything but if you are using works made with other peoples sprites you should ask for permission first.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Yeah, lol, but using the SM? lol!
well there are some good sound repositories out there full of .wav and other miscellaneous crap. But they work, and some even have good sound effects. all I can say is GOOGLE FTW!

=P

What sort of shoot-em-up you making?
TDS, FPS, side scroller?
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Kaelis wrote:Not to discourage you or anything but if you are using works made with other peoples sprites you should ask for permission first.
Thanks for reminding me :oops: ! The ships i've been using are my own, right from the "Shipyards" , and contain the sprites from:
  • AidanAiv
  • Blackhart
  • CheesyErwin
  • DDC
  • Dom
  • Dro
  • Kaelis
  • Dvl
  • EriErin
  • Fraxy
  • HorseMonster
  • Tyrian
  • "Stock" (?)
  • TSA
  • Xor
  • Ixranin
  • STARSTRUCK
However, I can't find the full profile names of the ones marked in red, and others have not replied. Do you mind if I use your sprites, Kaelis?
Silverware wrote:Yeah, lol, but using the SM? lol!
well there are some good sound repositories out there full of .wav and other miscellaneous crap. But they work, and some even have good sound effects. all I can say is GOOGLE FTW!

=P

What sort of shoot-em-up you making?
TDS, FPS, side scroller?
I can't sprite for my life, so SM is probably my best bet at "semi" original sprites. I've tried searching for sound effects databases, but I can't find any that fits the game at all.

I'm working on a arcade style TDS on GM.
Last edited by LactoseTolerant on Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:48 am, edited 8 times in total.

Life happens.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Wait what? I made something worth using? (Dro)
Go for it...though the beam turret is modified off of Aralonia's (so you might want to ask him too).

DVL is by Squishy for his Meta corp.

IIRC, DDC is Danny's.

Eri is by, well EriErin but I think he dissapeared a while back.

Fraxy and Tyrian are just sprites ripped from those respective games.

Xor is by the mulletron
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Heh, Arcade TDS's are fun, both to make and play, You could always do what I did with one, and make it totally in draw code, sure it can be resource heavy if you have too many objects on screen at once, but I have been able to create a draw code only almost game that can display hundrends, closer to thousands, of objects at once at 30 fps, even on a fairly average pc, so it can be done, plus it gives it a cool look, and lets you create more dynamic entities, and you only have text to store, no bmps, pngs or gifs

also stops rotation being so ugly. Still bad but not as much.
mmm BSF in draw code only, not a single sprite... it so could be done... maybe not the collisions though =\ meh... dreams for dreamers there.

are you making it like those old arcade, TDS's where your ship scrolls vertically, shooting shit till you hit a boss? or more free?
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Be weary of sprite rotation handling when using BSF sprites directly.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Droid wrote:Wait what? I made something worth using? (Dro)
Go for it...though the beam turret is modified off of Aralonia's (so you might want to ask him too).

DVL is by Squishy for his Meta corp.

IIRC, DDC is Danny's.

Eri is by, well EriErin but I think he dissapeared a while back.

Fraxy and Tyrian are just sprites ripped from those respective games.

Xor is by the mulletron
Ah, thanks for explaining the usernames! I guess i'll be stuck for a bit waiting for some of the older members to reply.
Silverware wrote:Heh, Arcade TDS's are fun, both to make and play, You could always do what I did with one, and make it totally in draw code, sure it can be resource heavy if you have too many objects on screen at once, but I have been able to create a draw code only almost game that can display hundrends, closer to thousands, of objects at once at 30 fps, even on a fairly average pc, so it can be done, plus it gives it a cool look, and lets you create more dynamic entities, and you only have text to store, no bmps, pngs or gifs

also stops rotation being so ugly. Still bad but not as much.
mmm BSF in draw code only, not a single sprite... it so could be done... maybe not the collisions though =\ meh... dreams for dreamers there.

are you making it like those old arcade, TDS's where your ship scrolls vertically, shooting shit till you hit a boss? or more free?
... i'm sorry, I kinda got lost where you said "draw code"; i'm not a very apt programmer yet, waiting on college to teach me more.

It's more leaning towards the old style arcade, Top scrolling, hueg bosses, no upgrading, bullet hell (on steroids), and some perks i've added to make it different from others.
Squishy wrote:Be weary of sprite rotation handling when using BSF sprites directly.
The sprites are oddily holding up very well, the amount of blur I get in GM by rotating ships is equal to the blur present in rotated sprites on SM.

And may I use the Dvl sprites?

Life happens.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

If you are just doing up and down movement then the rotation won't matter.

By draw code i mean, draw_circle(x,y,r,outline)
and draw_line(x1,y1,x2,y2)
ect.

they allow you to draw dynamic things onto the screen or a surface during the draw step for the screen, and any other for surfaces. Quite cool when you get the hang of them. and using the draw_primitive ones you can do really cool things, mind you can do the same with clever usage of line and triangle
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

LactoseTolerant wrote:And may I use the Dvl sprites?
Sure. Go nuts.
Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

Feel free to use my two gun sprites too, if you feel like it.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Squishy wrote:
LactoseTolerant wrote:And may I use the Dvl sprites?
Sure. Go nuts.
Cycerin wrote:Feel free to use my two gun sprites too, if you feel like it.
Thanks for the permission! I'm still working on the names in red (Eri hasn't replied for ages, and "Dom" is still a mystery). The names in yellow are pending, green are approved.
Last edited by LactoseTolerant on Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Life happens.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Only thread in custom sprites by user starting with "Do" is this one : http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3609

Is this Dom?

EDIT: this looks to be Dom_WepFactory