Aint's No More!

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

inteuniso
Commander
Commander

Post by inteuniso »

I did not know that. I do know though, that with pads, a tackle hurts a lot more when it goes into your chest.
It's not my fault I can't take your post seriously.
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

Rugdumph wrote:Oh the protection is definately necessary, since a friend of mine showed me that the average american football tackle hits with over twice the force of the average rugby tackle, i was like :shock:
inteuniso wrote:I did not know that. I do know though, that with pads, a tackle hurts a lot more when it goes into your chest.
That's just the thing. IF you get tackled. Implying that it would be irritating for the players with have good speed and agility to wear them, because their main job would most likely be to NOT to get tackled.

See, the thing about AFL (Aussie Rules Football) is that players need to be versatile. Meaning, they have to be able to play pretty much every single type of position. And the thing about this is that most positions require people to be quick on their feet. That's why most AFL players weigh between 80-100kg, and even then, the reason why some players will weigh more than that is because they are like over 200cm tall.

And that's the problem. In American football, if your one of those people who run out to recive the ball from the quaterback, what's the chance that one of those fat heavy blokes, the ones that will cause you the most damage, will catch you? Practically zero. And if someone is tagging you, wouldn't you want to have the advatage over them by NOT being held back by stuff that would hinder your movment?

I say all of this because I myself have a pretty light build, and I was pretty much faster than anyone I would be playing against, so I found that any body armour, except maybe a mouthguard, would be really a hindrance to myself
inteuniso
Commander
Commander

Post by inteuniso »

That's also the thing. American football is not the same thing as aussie football, just as american football is not the same thing as rugby.

The fat, heavy blokes (me) aren't supposed to tackle the fast guys, except for the running backs when they try to run. We try to tackle the quarterback. Really, ARL is 7 on 7, where you don't have a line, and it's just the secondary, LBs on the defense, and the QB, backs, and receivers on the offense.

American football needs pads because of this.

Without pads, those guys would have broken necks, mangled limbs, and more. With pads, they lessen injury. When these big guys get moving, you got the force equivalent of a human train bearing down on you.
It's not my fault I can't take your post seriously.
Blue-Rex
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Blue-Rex »

To accent to the previous sir's video, I found this website to help everybody understand just how much force is in every tackle.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoor ... 12171.html
Also, here is another video to help follow up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGhKVNUfPcc
"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." --Dr. Seuss