Robots in space???

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Omicron
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Robots in space???

Post by Omicron »

Alright im not sure were to post this but...
why would we have giant japanese anime style mechs hovering around in space?
is there a logical reason for them or do people who favour gundam* find it as a opportunity to make some mechs?

there I said it.

* I for one also find this confusing as to its design I mean eyes? head? swords?

cheers!
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Probably just rule of cool.
It doesn't make much sense.
Omicron
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Omicron »

Rule of cool eh?
hmmm
I geuss your right... but could someone outline whats cool about gundam?
seems rather... kiddish... but I haven't watched a full episode
thanto_
Commander
Commander

Post by thanto_ »

Which Gundam? You do know that there have been tons of different versions running for over two decades now, right?
Omicron
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Omicron »

Is there a main one?
most popular one?
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

No not really.
Mecha is a genre.
The "mainstream" one switches every now and then.

Now I'm thinking that you should, you know, actually watch some before make a judgment or asking why. You might just answer the question for yourself. At the very least you don't come off as...well, as uninformed.

I mean, that's how I figured it out. I just went "oh hey its cool, I don't care if it makes no sense. There are nice explosions and shit!"
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

I direct your attention to The Rule Of Cool and The MST3k Mantra.

'nuff said.
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

There are actually a whole bunch of reasons why giant robots are giant robots and not giant spacebricks with guns attached.
The most obvious one would be that it's easier to relate to something that looks humanoid, a mecha is just as much a machine as it is a superpower, it gives one person the firepower to take down an army of tanks by themselves while looking unique and moving like a person.

Basically, it's like a superhero costume but huge.
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
Omicron
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Omicron »

Droid: its not on TV where I am
Arcalane: that really explained..... nothing much.... but i see your general drift
Chiiro: (how do you pronounce that name is it like chi-roe? chie-roe?) not just space bricks! I think I can turn to the different mechz
the idea of a logical mech: http://www.happy-digital.com/hdinstance ... /mech4.jpg
not so logical: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ML_kFkjpdzE/S ... 00_2_8.jpg

one has eyes, nose, mouth, wings, pointless dohickeymawatsit and fingers
the other has logicically placed weapons, legs and whathaveyous....
moves like a person, looks unique, can take down a army of tanks and looks humanoid
hey aint that your description of gundam?

my point is the whole gundam scene looks silly...and illogical...
sorry if I look like a dumbass moaning about stuff like this
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Omicron wrote:my point is the whole gundam scene looks silly...and illogical...
The entire concept of giant walking combat vehicles - regardless of how you slice them, 'realistic' style or humanoid style - is largely silly and illogical. There are just as many flaws in realistic types as there are in humanoid types. Most of which focus around the legs, from where I'm standing. Ho ho!

But sense and logic? These do not matter. Again, the MST3k Mantra: "If you're wondering how he eats and breathes / And other science facts / Then repeat to yourself 'It's just a show, / I should really just relax.'"

I don't care that they're silly and illogical. Shit's blowing up and like hell I'm going to complain about shit blowing up. Unless it's my shit, in which case someone else's shit is about to get blown up in return.
Omicron wrote:sorry if I look like a dumbass moaning about stuff like this
Don't worry, you make yourself look like a dumbass enough as it is, I doubt a little more on the pile will draw anyone's attention.
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

Neither of those are really logical, considering a tank would probably be a better idea than the 'logical' one.

The point of a gundam isn't to be logical, it's to look cool and have personality.
Ixranin
Captain
Captain

Post by Ixranin »

A "logical" mech would have 4+ legs, since its main purpose would likely be all-terrain movement. And don't expect it to look like an ATAT.

Mechwarrior mechs edge more on "utilitarian" in appearance, but that doesn't make them any more realistic then a gundam or super robot. Just take a look at something like Gurren Lagann, and you have your answer about why mechs exist in the media like they do.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/IxraninEL/Screenies/AsiSig1.gif[/img]
Omicron
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Omicron »

Ok Arcalane I am not one for 'following fads' and 'shits getting blown up? YAY!' kinda thing
sorry for being a dumbass and stuff! I just don't get it...
Chiiro a mech would allow for more guns to be moved faster you could have 2 rocket thingys and 2 guns while jumping about the place however it would be fuel consuming and stuff
also I just watched a couple of episodes on utube.... it kinda isnt all that cool... however I will give them kudos for uniqueness and stuff
Ixranin okay your right about 4 legs but it would consume even more fuel and slow it down id a mech had mini jump jets on its legs it would be effective at standing on 2 legs. Ok lemme watch some of those
again sorry for being a dumbass I just need some more answers feel free to lock it if I'm too much of a ass about this
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Well, not everything is for everyone.
See, I can't for the life of me figure out why people like rap...but I'm not really bothered by not knowing. That's the human condition.
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

Omicron wrote: Chiiro a mech would allow for more guns to be moved faster you could have 2 rocket thingys and 2 guns while jumping about the place however it would be fuel consuming and stuff
Except the complexity of balance, targetting and gun mount control, weight distribution and the fact that walking isn't very reliable and once it falls it won't get back up.
Legs are complicated, they are not a feasible means of transportation for a machine of war because there's too much that could break. =|

Neither the japanese mecha or the typical western mech walker are logical or practical concepts, but at least the japanese mechas look damn cool.