Avalanche - texteditor

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Dachplatte
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Avalanche - texteditor

Post by Dachplatte »

i've made a program, avalanche - a text editor, like notepad. i just wanted to show it off, so here it is: Download link
If there still are some program or translation errors, please post them.

- Important note - Transparency is probably Vista-only, gotta test that yet, and before you run this program, you need to install the Microsoft .Net Framework. (This is already installed in vista, only for Xp users)

Some pics:
Image Image Image

Current Version: Avalanche 0.80 (it's not stable yet, but it should work)

Planned Improvements:
- Synchrone Options
- 'Undo' Function
- 'Search' Function
- Transparent Notepapers
- Drag & Drop Tabs
- Good Error Handling (yeah, i know this is basic, but first i to write want all the other functions)

Proposed Improvements:
- Colors
- Highlighting
- Macros (Pretty much the big thing)
- Shortcuts/keyboard commands
- Menu arrangements
- Window layout
- Key mappings/word associations
- Numerical system
- Text properties
- Buffer size
- Default save format
- Default startup characteristics

Updates/Bugfixes:
- Little translation error fixed[/b]
- Quote: "In the options tab there is a mistranslation; it's not visible in windowed mode but maximized the bottom button says 'Opties Instellen" - Fixed double button.
- Fixed error that closed another tab when the options tab was being closed
- Whoops! i just thought about the icon i used, i downloaded it from some site, its probably copyrighted etc, etc, etc... so i decided not to use it anymore
- Added an menu for the Notepapers
- New icon
Last edited by Dachplatte on Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 15 times in total.
AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

I understand you probably put some hard work into this thing, but why should I use this over GetDiz?
The walls have eyes: the shadows we throw are the shadows we try to throw off.
Dachplatte
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Dachplatte »

Because i made it? :D Hmm, i just wanted to know what people would think of it

*edit* hah! it doesn't have tabpages, it doesn't have notepapers, it isn't shiny and transparent :cool:
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

I like the compactness of the editor, but I can't get the transparency working (does it require a special graphics card?), I can't make new notepapers (a tooltip may be helpful here?), there are no underlined shortcuts (need my shortcuts!), monospaced font would be nice (or a font dialog), etc...

In the options tab there is a mistranslation; it's not visible in windowed mode but maximized the bottom button says 'Opties Instellen'

What is it written in?
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

AidanAdv wrote:I understand you probably put some hard work into this thing, but why should I use this over GetDiz?
Better link. That link makes my browser's assholeware detector go BRAAAAAAP.
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

I like the clean interface and some of the rather unique features you've implemented. I could actually see the transparency being really useful for writing based on some sort of reference material. Definitely superior to windowing, in my opinion. I'm a Notepad++ guy myself, but this is an interesting, lightweight alternative. I just can't give up my syntax highlighting ;).
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Shiny, but I'm sticking to TextPad. :P
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Dachplatte
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Dachplatte »

Normandy wrote:I like the compactness of the editor, but I can't get the transparency working (does it require a special graphics card?), I can't make new notepapers (a tooltip may be helpful here?), there are no underlined shortcuts (need my shortcuts!), monospaced font would be nice (or a font dialog), etc...

In the options tab there is a mistranslation; it's not visible in windowed mode but maximized the bottom button says 'Opties Instellen'

What is it written in?
it's currently written in viusal basic.net, but when i've learned C++ i'll rewrite it in that language.

And i think the transparancy is vista-only, i'll look at that.
About the notepapers, they should work . :roll:

*edit* @normandy, i just reread your post and figured out you weren't talking about an error that crashed the notepapers :x . You can make new notepapers by clicking the on 'notepaper' button at the bottom of the program. I'll make it somewhat more visible in the future
Last edited by Dachplatte on Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

I have to ask, just what features are you planning on implementing? And how customizable is it going to be? As it is it looks like it has excellent potential, but if it's going to be comparable efficiency to most others than I see no reason to use it over Vim.
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
Dachplatte
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Dachplatte »

For new features you should look here (guess where that leads to :D )

And about the customizability, what would you actually want to be costumizable?
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

I actually saw that list, and while it seems that a fair amount of the immediate issues are in there, I just have a hard time believing that's all that you hope to do with this.

As for the customizability, well here's a little list.
1: Colors
2: Highlighting
3: Macros (Pretty much the big thing)
4: Shortcuts/keyboard commands
5: Menu arrangements
6: Window layout
7: Key mappings/word associations
8: Numerical system
9: Text properties
10: Buffer size
11:Default save format
12: Default startup characteristics
I realize you probably won't actually be able to put all of these in, or even want to, but you did ask, and I just thought I'd throw some ideas out there.
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
Dachplatte
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Dachplatte »

Ok, thanks for the reply. I'll try to add these functions to the program.
bien4500
Commodore
Commodore

Post by bien4500 »

Looks good, nice effort by the way. But Im'a stick to Notepad++, it's Open Source BTW.