Gene Pool!

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Verminator
Captain
Captain

Gene Pool!

Post by Verminator »

I've been using a fun little program called Gene Pool, which is an evolution simulator. Basically, you have these little physics-based lifeforms called swimbots, whose goals in life are to eat the little green pellets floating about and to have sex with other swimbots. Most of the swimbots you start out with are barely capable of swimming and just flail around pointlessly. However, the most capable swimbots will get the food and successfully mate (no details :( ), passing on their genes to the next generation. A baby swimbot can take after just one parent or maybe both, and sometimes random mutations get thrown in. The idea is is that you leave this running for maybe an hour and see what happens. You can get some very cool-looking squigglers after a while, although if you've got some patience and are willing to go through a lot of trial and error, you can genetically engineer swimbots of your own.

Here's a pool I just started. If I had to pick a winner out of the swimbots on screen, I'd pick the cyan and red one near the middle. It looks like it can propel itself sort of like a jellyfish, which is pretty good for turning and alright for forward motion. The yellow snakelike one's probably the most energy efficient, but it won't be able to turn so fast. This is just a tiny portion of the pool though. The swimbot with the genetic keys to the future is probably offscreen somewhere.

Anyway, I'd quite like to see what other people get out of this program. On another forum I go to, we've been having a competition to see who could breed the best swimbot, ie. the one that survives the longest in a pool with three other such competitors. Maybe we could try that.
I have to kill fast and bullets are [i]too slow.[/i]
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

will get the food and successfully mate (no details :cry: )
I hope that doesn't mean what I think it does... So what, you want to see your swinbots mate in graphic detail? :|

Anyway, downloading the program now... I'm just off for a walk, so I'll set it up and let it run while I'm out...

EDIT:

Well, after leaving it running for a while, the pool endured a significant drop in overall population at one point (possibly a mass extinction event) and ultimeately the pool's population has divided into two distinct groups... On the right we have the larger, more energy efficient group of what I call "roto-swimmers" who sort of "kick" through the water using large numbers of swinging plates on a pair of arms... Most are as you see in this picture, while the rest are similar, but much leaner (I.E. All their sections are a lot thinner, but they seem to be dying out as they are actually slower, with the bulkier ones leaving them in the dirt)...

On the left, meanwhile, we have a much smaller (but noe-the-less sucessful population of squid-like creatures, who sort of "rithe" and "slither" through the water... They, unlike the roto-swimmers, seem to have very little genetic diversity in their population, with all members of the species being generally very similar...

What we seem to be heading towards are lead elements of the roto-swimmers (whos species has been basically charging across the map from right to left in an eating and mating frenzy) encountering the squids, who have generally stayed in one area, with lower diversity and much smaller numbers (but with each individual member of the population being much more sucessful than any of their roto-swimmer counterparts)...

Minutes later...

Time passed, the two populations did indeed come into contact and... [b]Oh God! It's horrible![/b] The roto-simmers are everywhere, consuming all in their path and will probably drive the squids (and themselves) to extinction... What we're seeing is a massive spike in population and a massive drop in food...

Wow... This is a pretty cool program... :mrgreen:

EDIT 2: Well, as I thought, an epic mass extinction event occured and now, as the food levels in the pool stabelise, we're down to about 20 swimbots, some of whom are just green sticks that literally sit there and do nothing... Luckily, a small group of squids (a few of whom survived the disaster... The roto-swimmers weren't so lucky, with the two or three that were left being scattered far and wide, unable to find each other to mate) seem to be making a fresh start... At first, it seems to be a case of too little too late as my pool falls to less than a dozen swimbots, but then, to my surprise, it starts to climb again, a small clan of over half-a-dozen squids forming not too far south from where squids were located before the great roto-swimmer onslaught... There's maybe one roto-swimmer still left on the map now, but ever-tenacious squids are toughing it out... Not only that, but they're virtually unchanged from how they looked and acted when the roto-swimmers first invaded their territory...

Shine on, you crazy mother-luving (they're genetic diversity is pretty much in the toilet with such a small population left to repopulate the squids with, after all) squids you... Shine on... :)

EDIT 3: Well, the squids are the only ones left on the field now... There's about 20 of them and just when I thought their genetic diversity couldn't get any worse, one of them has apparently (and I didn't do this) undergone an epic mutation, have two better articulating limbs rather than four lesser ones, making it a stronger swimmer than its fellow squids... Unfortuneately, it carks it before it can pass on its genes...

At this point I think I'll save this group and start a new one, as the current one's getting boring...
[img]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb6/CaptainTrek/Federationsignature.jpg[/img]
Verminator
Captain
Captain

Post by Verminator »

Well I'll be damned.

remember that yellow snake thing in the first post that I'd said couldn't win?

Well, it looks like it, or something like it, evolved into something that did win.

It must have boned some other creature with some positive traits at some point. This new creature cruises efficiently through the water most of the time, but when it approaches food or mates, it flails its mouth/genetalia around wildly in a way that eventually hits food or a mate. Barring mutations of itself, it's the only lifeform left in the pool. It just overran everything else. I reckon it'll eat and fuck itself into oblivion eventually though. That'll be fun to watch.
Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

I remember toying with this last year. The squirmy snake-like ones are the worst, they just randomly worm around and run into food and each other, not to mention they're fast.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Interesting.

Although the simulation rules are rather dumb, apparently. I tried a few times and not once did i get a swimbot that could actually get where it wanted to, regardless of sexual preferences. Theyre either fast but can't turn at all, and end up far off the center where theres no mates or food, or they can turn but are slow and unsatisfying.

Furthermore, it looks like whether a swimbot is successful or not depends purely on:
a) whether its fast - if it is, itll die out, due to the aformentioned inability to turn
b) whether it starts in a location where it can easily mate

So pretty much random. I once got a dominant population of swimbots that flailed in place wildly, but achieved nothing. They just got lucky. As you might imagine, they died out quickly after eating all food that was immediately available, because they simply couldnt get to food that was farther away.
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

I failed to take a screenie, cause it was late last night and I was extremely tired, but I managed to get a population of swimbots that bred like those lizard things in Safari Tycoon. And for those of you who don't get the reference, they were all little reproductive sex fiends. Their method of movement was terrible, yet they managed to spread out simply because their erratic movement and mass breeding caused them to expand like a gas cloud. It was actually quite amusing. It was like a single circular wave in a pond. It spread out, everything behind it dying from lack of food and everything in front of it continuing to spread out and exhaust the food supply. By the time they got to the edge, they bounced back into the now-replenished food supply in the middle of the map.

I hope that makes sense. I think I'll go take a nap now.
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

I have encountered a hyper-efficient creature...

The secret to it's efficiency? It's utterly incapable of moving. It uses 00.01 energy every few seconds, but cannot move to feed itself. :?
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Verminator
Captain
Captain

Post by Verminator »

It's one of those little one-piece creatures with just a mouth, right? Yeah, abortions like that show up from time to time.
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

I kill those on sight,Does that make me a bad man?
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

I can't seem to get to the website :/
Forgetting internet deadlines since 2003
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

I can't seem to get anything remotely useful to evolve. It's a neat program, but it seems that the organisms that eventually take over are selected almost completely at random. After about an hour, I've got a group of rainbow creatures, and a group of yellow and green creatures. Neither can move at a noticeable rate. They're slowly moving outward as they reproduce and eat food, and they quickly die off once food in their immediate surroundings is gone. This has happened a couple times now.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Verminator wrote:It's one of those little one-piece creatures with just a mouth, right? Yeah, abortions like that show up from time to time.
Pretty much. If I moved them via hand of god they flew off unpredictably (or in some cases, a perfectly straight line) until they either gradually slowed down, or hit the pool perimeter.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

In the light of apparent randomness and lack of controll in Gene Pool, i remembered there were some other programs simulating evolution. So i did a small research, and found this:

http://www.darwinbots.com/WikiManual/in ... =Main_Page

It simulates organisms (bots) by DNA scripts that defines their behaviot. And its epic, compared to Gene Pool. But i guess its also is beyond the attention span of Wyrdysm forumites. I still plan to spend some time with it, though.

If you do want to try it out,, download the 2.43.1L version, not 2.44.1, the newest one. 2.44.1 has some annoying bugs.
T-002
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by T-002 »

Oh man, these buggers.

They looked like they would make it for a while. They replicated like crazy, looked like a swarm. But, apparently they had highly irregular movement, which prevented them from reaching food. They survived for a little while, and then they died, along with all other self-propellants. Now all my 'bots just sit there doing nothing.

Also, they look like they're walking when they move. Really funny.

EDIT: I found a live one, in between my total of seven survivors. Cross-breeding it as we speak.
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]
EriErin
Commander
Commander

Post by EriErin »

That basically sums up my experiences with this game.
[quote="Anna"]Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
I'll fuck you with a rake.[/quote]