Space ship games. Know any?

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Malahite
Captain
Captain

Post by Malahite »

Star wolves. Almost like a roleplay in space ;3
[b][color=red]Comrade Malahite
Red Star Navy senior designer[/color][/b]
[i]"True beauty lies in the eye of the viewer"[/i]
[img]http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8817/signeh5.jpg[/img]
[i]"For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done"[/i]
Aaganrmu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Aaganrmu »

StarFox/Starwing. Duh.

Also a nice game is Ascendancy, an old turn-based conquer the randomly-generated-galaxy game.

It's fairly deep, with customs shipbuilding as one of the most attractive. Sapce combat is weirdly turn-based though, a bit like chess (move one ship, opponent moves one ship, you move one ship etc).
Nutcase
Captain
Captain

Post by Nutcase »

Hegemonia: Legions of Iron.
Sort of like IG2 just drop (most of) the surface management (and combat) (and you won't be needing the starmap if you want to make your life a bit more difficult) and smash down the scale a bit.
ODST
Commander
Commander

Post by ODST »

What, nothing about the X games?
[img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6102/odstsigbi9.jpg[/img]
Gkug
Commander
Commander

Post by Gkug »

I see noone has mentioned sword of the stars or genesis rising.
You are no God to me
You are nothing to me
This is a reckoning
Enjoy this while it lasts
It won't be long before it dies.
Malahite
Captain
Captain

Post by Malahite »

Nutcase wrote:Hegemonia: Legions of Iron.
Sort of like IG2 just drop (most of) the surface management (and combat) (and you won't be needing the starmap if you want to make your life a bit more difficult) and smash down the scale a bit.
Another game that could use a continuation.

And from me an obvious one - Starcraft [and the upcoming badly-cut in three Starcraft 2 :roll: ]
[i]"For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done"[/i]
Blackhart
Captain
Captain

Post by Blackhart »

ODST wrote:What, nothing about the X games?
Already mentioned the X series :P

Im really looking forward to getting X3 the terran conflict, has anybody tried it yet?
Magick
Captain
Captain

Post by Magick »

Gkug wrote: sword of the stars
That's because it's a bad knockoff of SOASE with a ship customization feature that: -Isn't truly customizable--all you do is change hulls and weapons. -Feels tedious/like an afterthought
ODST
Commander
Commander

Post by ODST »

X-Wing Alliance. Because dogfighting with TIEs in an X-wing is always fun. Kinda old though.
[img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6102/odstsigbi9.jpg[/img]
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

Great thread. I was just looking for space games the other day (and didn't have much luck).
Arcalane wrote: SINS OF A SOLAR EMPIRE?!
I take it you recommend this pretty highly? I've heard a lot about it, and it seems pretty neat, but I've been hesitant.
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Malahite wrote:And from me an obvious one - Starcraft [and the upcoming badly-cut in three Starcraft 2 :roll: ]
Definitely with you on that one.

Outside of the commercial venues are FreeOrion and Thousand Parsec. Both are horribly incomplete and bordering on abandonment, but FreeOrion has a really nice tech tree and the project's slowly coming together, whist Thousand Parsec, though not very done at the moment, has an interesting course of development plotted out, with huge scale galaxies and flexible technology trees.
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Infinity - that impossible independent mumorpger in development
Jumpgate Evolution
Beyond the Red Line - BSG mod for FSOpen.

And some little known ones:

Dark Horizon (or Tarr Chronicles) - russian shooter, recent (russians make nice spaceship games, unfortunately i forgot the names of most)
Bang! Gunship Elite - old shooter
Armada Online - small rpg-like mmorpg
DarkStar One - shooter
Vendetta Online
Starscape - small indie 2d shoot 'em up
SubSpace - online 2d shoot 'em up
I-War series - old, hardcore simulators
Evochron Alliance/Legends/Renegades - sim+trade
Spaceforce: Rogue Universe - shooter+trade, recent
Space Ranges 2 - another russian game, this time 2d rpg, turnbased combat
PArkan II - supposedly very good and innovative mix of FPS and spaceship combat

Not really a spaceship game (sub, instead), but anyone remember Aquanox series? Was quite fun, shame they dumbed it down so much compared to Archimedean Dynasty, its predecessory. Man, AD was epic.

How is Starcraft a spaceship game is beyond me. Same for MoO, SEV and the like, kind of. Theyre not really spaceship-centered.
Malahite
Captain
Captain

Post by Malahite »

Kaelis wrote: Beyond the Red Line - BSG mod for FSOpen.
Yup. great mod, can't wait till it's done
Kaelis wrote:DarkStar One - shooter
More of a space sim, with an interesting ship-upgrade mechanic

Kaelis wrote:Starscape - small indie 2d shoot 'em up
Great game

Kaelis wrote:Space Ranges 2 - another russian game, this time 2d rpg, turnbased combat
I highly recomend it.

And from me: Star Wars: Empire At War. Also, the second Battlefront.
Draco18s
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Draco18s »

There's a way way old school one that I remember playing in elementary school.

Basically you chose a ship (or customized one) and duked it out with another player (hotseat).

The ship customization was "here's a graphic, here's three dozen mount points, guns have 3 stats: power, direction, speed" and you had so many points you could spend making more guns or making better guns (direction was free, obviously) so you could make a ship that only shot behind it (for the cowards) or in several directions (for the shotgun types) or few very heavy damage forward guns (for the stupidly brave).

In-game powerups included seeking missiles, freeze shots, orbiter-bullets (would impact on enemy bullets to protect or impact on the enemy player for damage, in either case that bullet (of a dozen or so) was destroyed), and a few others.

Would love to play that game again.
Crazyeyes24
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Location: Bridge of the Hydra, in orbit around Maw Installation

Post by Crazyeyes24 »

Cycerin wrote:Escape Velocity, Escape Velocity: Override and Escape Velocity Nova are the games I grew up with.
Man, I was sooooo into EV Nova back in the day... I gotta install it on my new comp. I was a beta tester for the new version even. (I felt warm and fuzzy when I saw my name in the credits lol 8) )

Also, I found X3: Reunion to be rather fun, there is a lot of custom content out there too, and some expansion packs. However it had a nasty learning curve but was nonetheless a great sim-level game.