Space ship games. Know any?

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Malahite
Captain
Captain

Space ship games. Know any?

Post by Malahite »

Like in the topic. Post any space ship games, that you remember, and that are worth mentioning. Screenies optional.

My list begins with Star Crusader, my first space combat sim. For it's time, it had quite the graphics, an interesting story, and great game play. Also, the variety of the ships was nice, thou if memory is correct, there were more starfighters then cap ships. I still have it somewhere, on seven floppy discs, if I remember correct, but there was also a CD version.

The next is Reuinion - a sim/strategy. The gameplay was really well done, and if you didn't catch up with research, some events could miss you - like not researching an universal translator meant you couldn't get any info from alien civilisations. Also, there was a neat resource manage/transport system, in which you had to manually steer the spaceship from it's cockpit, from your home planet to the planet with the resources you needed, the fly with them back. Yes, in this game you weren't a nameless all-being 'commander' but rather a person with a psychical body, which couldn't be everywhere.

That's it for now, more to come...
[b][color=red]Comrade Malahite
Red Star Navy senior designer[/color][/b]
[i]"True beauty lies in the eye of the viewer"[/i]
[img]http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8817/signeh5.jpg[/img]
[i]"For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done"[/i]
Blackhart
Captain
Captain

Post by Blackhart »

When I think of a space ship game, I think of the homeworld series. The first was one of the best rts games I have ever played, it also had an epic story and great music. Homeworld cataclysm was okay, homeworld 2 was good as well.
Except for the story for homeworld 2... Man that story sucked.

The Wing Commander series and the X series are also worth mentioning, as well as nexus: the jupiter incident.
Malahite
Captain
Captain

Post by Malahite »

Blackhart wrote: nexus: the jupiter incident.
Great game, in dire need of continuation. My bro and I are beating it righ now for the forth or fifth time on expert.
[i]"For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done"[/i]
ODST
Commander
Commander

Post by ODST »

If you're willing to shell out money monthly, I'd suggest EVE Online. Probably not for action junkies, but the extreme amount of depth will get any serious gamer hooked on, if they have enough patience.
(Funnily enough, if you accumulate enough ISK, or in game credits, you can buy game time cards, effectively playing for free.)

If monthly payments are out of the question, I'd suggest Freelancer. The story's a bit weird, but the action is great. Once you've beat the story, I'd suggest you get one of the awesome mods for it, like Discovery or Crossfire.
[img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6102/odstsigbi9.jpg[/img]
Blackhart
Captain
Captain

Post by Blackhart »

Ahh I remember freelancer, that was a good game. Even has online too I believe :)

I agree with you that the story was kind of weird tho. I found the ending kind of random :?
M123
Captain
Captain

Post by M123 »

Freespace and Freespace 2: My favourite space shooters of all time. Awesome graphics (especially with the Open Source Project), epic scale, and a brilliant story.

Tyrian 2000: An epic arcade shooter with a unique ship customisation system and a nice story. Available for free here.

Far Gate: An unusual space RTS with an interesting story and good graphics. It also had some physics effects, so if you latched on to an asteroid with a hook from a tug, it would move around realistically (Well... sort of. The physics were a little bit bugged, from what I remember).

Imperium Galactica 2: A great real-time 4x game with nice graphics, ship customisation and RTS-style ground combat.

Master of Orion 2: A very good turn-based 4x game with many customisation options for ships and races. Much better than MOO3.
Krishach
Commander
Commander

Post by Krishach »

IMHO only ones worth mentioning were already:

Turn-based Strategy - Masters of Orion 2 (yes 2, don't bother with 3, but you can still find the old one around. Get it)
--- can't say enough good things about this game. Though it IS a galactic empire game, so army clashes are only a small part of it, so while space ships are VERY customizable, its not as extensive as you might like.

RTS - Homeworld 2. 'nuff said

It is worth mentioning that there are a large number of games that are NOT spaceship games that have decent to good spaceship MODS out or being made. Namely, Supreme Commander, RTS, and Dawn of War, RTS, have spaceship mods.
"Forgive my rudeness. I cannot abide useless people." -Murphy, Firefly

[b]Images removed for thoroughly violating width limit.[/b]
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

FreeAllegience is an awesome team-combat game, and so is Darkspace.

Allegience is free, and Darkspace is a monthly payment.

darkspace
FreeAllegiance
Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

Escape Velocity, Escape Velocity: Override and Escape Velocity Nova are the games I grew up with.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Space Empires and Galactic Civilizations are two good series...

But how could you forget SINS OF A SOLAR EMPIRE?!

Heathens.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

Not to mention Jets'n'Guns, an awesome scrolling shooter with a kickass rock x commodore 64-fused soundtrack and tons of gameplay.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Cycerin wrote:Not to mention Jets'n'Guns, an awesome scrolling shooter with a kickass rock x commodore 64-fused soundtrack and tons of gameplay.
QFT. Machinae Supremacy \o/
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Malahite
Captain
Captain

Post by Malahite »

Arcalane wrote:
Cycerin wrote:Not to mention Jets'n'Guns, an awesome scrolling shooter with a kickass rock x commodore 64-fused soundtrack and tons of gameplay.
QFT. Machinae Supremacy \o/
I played the ground level that ends with the concert just for the theme song |m|

Also, Tychon: The Fringe [quoting from memory]
bien4500
Commodore
Commodore

Post by bien4500 »

It's Tachyon: The Fringe. Machinae Supremacy FTW!
Also Transcendence, and Freespace 1 and 2. Don't forget Starshatter.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Starlancer was pretty good. Old, but good.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush