Construct: Something you lot might find interesting.

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

darkone8752
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Construct: Something you lot might find interesting.

Post by darkone8752 »

After a long leave (and retyping this all over again, thank you toolbar links) I've come back with something everyone, especialy th15, might enjoy. But first, background! After leaving for a while due to Anna helpfully (yes, helpfully. I needed some time among the less collected to bring myself back to normal, level-headedness), and in a fairly larger number of words told me to screw off after I bugged everyone forever about helping with porting BSF to a new engine. He also suggested, again; in many more words, that I make my own game. Well, sometime later, sitting around in class bored off my ass, something hit me.

Thus began the quest to satiate my hunger for a complex 2d space/ground game. Starting out with languages I ran the gauntlet of C#, C++, and python trying to find what I wanted to use. Those were easy enough, yet then I found out that graphics coding is god damned hard. Much harder than actually writing the game code itself! So I went through a few things, but they were either too error-prone and/or difficult, or couldn't meet requirements. OpenGL, DirectX, SDL, Pygame, Pyglet, PyopenGL. I came across XNA later, and fell in love with how it was powerful, yet did a good majority of the work for you, especialy with its built in 2D fucntions.

But then I met Construct, and I looked upon awesome. My mind reeled and came to three quick thoughts: one, that th15 would likely be interested in this for reasons to be stated later; two, that this was EXACTLY what I wanted in functionality and even more; and three, it sounded too good to be true.

One was filed away in my excitement. Two was loudly proclaimed to anyone who cared (and quite a few who didn't). And three was thoroughly investigated; so far I am impressed. Allow me to quote them for the low-down.
Construct is a free powerful and easy to use development software for both DirectX 9-based games and applications. It includes an event based system for defining how the game or application will behave, in a visual, human-readable way - easy enough for complete beginners to get results quickly. Optionally, advanced users can also use Python scripting to code your creations.
It's hardware accelerated 2D with full pixel shading and lighting effects, built in physics and collision (both Bounding box and MMX accelerated pixel-perfect bitmask), built-in debugging and profiling. I've been palying around with it since yesterday, and after reading, about 5 mintues of work has a tank with seperate turret running about the screen, and working mouse-selection/deselection, with turret. I'm going to continue working on it, but I wanted to show you guys this as soemthing useful. It is also of special importance to th15 as its basicly gamemaker without such a slow back-engine.

Sorry for the wall of text, and I guess I might be sticking around a bit more :P

Edit:Also of possible note, my old computer (8 years, 4-5 of them spent in hell) finally died. I'm posting this on an emachines (which is still faster than my old computer by a factor of 5 at least) and should, if all goes as planned, have a new gaming computer this coming month! Looking at a phenom 9600 with a SAPPHIRE Radeon HD4830 :D I'll also be truthful, that I'll likely end up trying to use XNA anyways, as my mind isn't very well geared for GM/Construct style stuff, but I understand code fairly well.
Another edit: Sorry Anna. Didn't know it was that old: was only a few posts down :? forgot that the forums are bit slower here.