Let's Play Space Empires V! - UNDER WAY!

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

I've always loved **** Ascendancy and **** Consortium.
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Well then, ladies and gentlemen. It has began, the results:

We will be the Gyesmyd Swarm, and our species name is Forumites.

Flags 1 and 3 are tied, so we'll go with #1. For ships, we're gonna use the shipset that Kaelis provided, since it looks better than any of the default ones. All right, then. Our home planet type is a rock planet with a Hydrogen atmosphere.

I will set about creating our Empire, playing out the first few turns, taking screenshots, and then I'll get about to making the first post! \o/ Glorious day for the Gyesmyd Swarm!
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Anna

Post by Anna »

The year is 2400. On the fairly modest planet of Gyesmyd in the Rukbat system, change is beginning. For thousands of years, its inhabitants -- The Forumites -- have warred amongst themselves, with never a year of peace. They were a violent species, until one Aradel Seraphim, the President of a large continent, finally succeeded in uniting all the citizens of Gyesmyd under one banner, the Gyesmyd Swarm. Now they turn there eyes to outer space.

This is Gyesmyd, a rock planet with a Hydrogen atmosphere, in the Rukbat system. In the most recent surveys, Forumite scientists detected these "Warp Points", and have theorised that they're wormholes, leading to other solar systems.

Now that there is finally peace on their planet, Gyesmyd is ready to explore the vastness domain of the Stars. Their first ship, the GSe Lightstriker, completed construction in the early months of the year 2400.
This is the GSe Lightstriker, the first Explorer-class vessel created by the Gyesmyd Swarm. It possess a full sensor suite and the most powerful ion engines that they currently possess, and a single fairly primitive Depleted Uranium Railgun. With its crew of one-hundred, it sets off through the closest warp point, in search of new life forms, and new civilisations. Or phat lewt. They aren't fussy.
Early scans reveal that the Warp Point lead to a binary system, and revealed two unpopulated planets, not particularly suited to colonisation. Lightstriker recieves orders to progress traveling through and scanning the entire system. Forumite scientists name the system "Bellatrix."

Meanwhile, scientists conclude that a nearby planet in their own system, Rukbat II, is suitable for sustaining life. The terrain and conditions seem tolerable, although since it has a Methane atmosphere, any colonies will need to be domed, thus limiting their size. The construction of a colony vessel is quickly commissioned, and within two months Lifebringer I is completed.
Fifteen million Forumites are loaded aboard and sent to colonise their new home of Rukbat II.
There, they began construction of a large research facility. With the threat of possibly making first contact with Alien life just over the horizon, Gyesmyd scientists had been quite busy, researcher larger and more advanced ships, better engines, more effecient storage techniques, and more.

In late 2400, the GSe Lightstriker finally finished surveying the Bellatrix system.
They found numerous small nebulae, some more planets that were unfortunately unsuited to colonisation at the time, and another Warp Point. At this time, the Lightstriker returned to Gyesmyd to refuel and be retrofitted with faster engines, more effective sensors, and a large fuel supply. At this time, the construction of another Explorer-class ship was commissioned, and it was dubbed the GSe-Aidan.

While GSe-Aidan was being constructed, the GSe-Lightstriker set forth through the second warp point in the Rukbat system, into a nearby system called Achird.
Early scans were promising, picking up not just one, but after a short time, TWO small rock planets with Hydrogen atmospheres, ideal for further colonisation.

Shortly there-after, the GSe-Aidan was launched, and was tasked with exploring through one of the two warp points found in Bellatrix system. After a month-long journey, they reached the warp point, traveling through to discover a trinary star system, dubbed Mira. Early scans weren't promising, however, finding no planets what-so-ever.

Very little happens for a time, and nearly two years later, Gyesmyd scientists are starting to give up hope of finding alien life, until in the last month of 2401, a single alien vessel is detected by the sensors of a colony ship, on its way with cargo of 15 million people, to colonise one of the small planets in the Achird system.
Brief communications have been made with these aliens, who refer to themselves as the Ukra-Tal Collective. Here are their details, as well as some preliminary estimates of their force numbers. These estimates have a possible 50% varience, however.
Now, senators, I will need your votes. How should we progress from here? I request votes on three matters.

What should our research focus be? Larger ship hulls and faster engines? Or perhaps more advanced theoretical sciences, that could unlock more powerful weapons in the future? Or something else. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Where do we go from here? Do we begin militarising space? Predictions suggest we could have an armed battlestation and defense satellites in orbit around Gyesmyd as early as 2403. Should we begin building larger warships, and what should our stance be on new xeno species?

Finally, how should we act towards the Ukra-Tal collective? They appear to be on their way towards our home system. Should we attack preemptively, or should we attempt to establish peaceful dialogue with them, perhaps even trade and research pacts?

Senators, you have the floor. Speak, and be heard.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

General Thornon Zenstar is among the first to speak up.

"It is obvious to me where we should go from here."

"Research wise, I recommend focusing our endeavours on enhancing our existing ship hulls rather than designing entirely new ones. Missile and energy weapons as well as advanced armour will be a great help. Fighters may also be viable in the long run, but for now we should focus on what we have, rather than what will be available in the long term."

"As for defense of our homeworld... due to the limited firing emplacement angles on orbital stations I strongly recommend employing missile launchers for defensive purposes, and the same goes for satellites, as they are not limited by them. I have run many simulations already and it is clear that a missile platform is superior to any other, as it can always fire it's weapons, whereas another may be waiting some time for an opening, which can spell doom in many cases."

"Another option to consider with colonizing; small recon satellites are light and easy to deploy with colony ships, though it can sometimes be more beneficial to construct them on site. Either way, early warning systems should not be neglected as they are vital to monitoring our space. Even if they are destroyed by hostile vessels, they still have enough time to send an automated report, which can sometimes be all we need to help prevent the loss of innocent citizens."

"Finally, as for these xenos... it is obvious they cannot be trusted. Other races may prove otherwise, but we should prevent them all from entering our home system if at all possible, or at the least prevent them from passing close to our homeworld."
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Aralonia
Butt Admiral
Butt Admiral

Post by Aralonia »

Senator Gorard Gaston stood up and raised his $generic_text_device to read off.

“For research I must agree with a variation of General Zenstar's plan. The construction of enhanced starship hulls is important, but we must focus primarily on survivability and range as opposed to war. We have, at the moment, no enemy – we must focus on getting there before we can shoot there. “

Gaston adjusted his relics of spectacles and continued. “Defence satellites consisting of non-line-of-sight weapons would be best, as the ability to shoot around corners may become useful if required. Missile technology should not be too difficult to refine for space use – after all, we have been killing each other with them for innumerable cycles.” He took a drink from his glass before continuing to his final point.

“As for these aliens, we must take caution beyond any before. They are dangerous. They are not our kind. They are unpredictable. In these unknowns, they can be our greatest foe. That is all.”
DPUO wrote:<+AirHippo> Funnily enough, folks who abide by the law and try to make something of their lives don't appreciate the rich kids of rich parents getting away with murder and skimming through life.
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

Random_Important_Military_Type_Person Winston Sarenai bounced to his feet, sending his chair flying through three rows of people behind him. After hastily apologizing, he turned around a few times, eventually found the front of the room, and started speaking.

"Rule 1: You don't get into space by being pushovers. We are the dominant species on our planet, and we have squashed the chances of others for our own glory. This will be true for just about any other spacefaring society."
"Rule 2: Any species will be first and foremost concerned with its own survival and success. As such, they will not hesitate to walk over others for their own survival or substantial gain."
"Rule 3: Any other species will assume the same about us."

"These are, by and large, some of the best approximations for probable alien behavior that I have seen. As such, I will base my recommendations off of them. First: research. I believe that a middle -ground between giant uber-ships and tiny powerhouses of doom is best. Neither one is the most effective on the long term. Therefore, I suggest we attempt to develop new mid-size ships with some, but not exclusively, new powerful weapons."

"Weaponization: I believe that a sattelite and sttaion system supplemented by ships should be adequate. While non-line-of-sight weapons do have their advantages, they also have serious drawbacks, one of which being that they tend to be interceptable. Again, my opinion is compromise. There should be a fair number of missiles, but there should also be more powerful beam weapons and railguns, not to mention whatever else might be cooked up."

Third: The current situation. Think about the rules. This new species will not hesitate to dispose of us if it is in their best interests. I therefore feel that it would be best to try to foster diplomatic relations with them while keeping them off of the planets for now. While this is happening, however, we should be building our fleet so that when the time comes we will be ready to pacify them if need be."

With this Winston started spinning in circles and mumbling to himself, then stopped and appeared to remember what he was doing. He retrieved his chair, and after repositioning it sat down. To those watching him, it would look like he randomly pulled a giant sandwich out of midair, Mountain Dew 3.6 out of the floor, and Dotiros out of his book. He then proceeded to eat lunch, occasionally taking a bite out of the cornbread superpositioned in his beard.
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
Manifold1
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Manifold1 »

Senator Sejilus stands up, and the babbling dies down.

"Right. Research? Well, its obvious isn't it? We need to get faster engines, and bigger ships than those aliens. Defense? As somebody else said earlier, I forgot his name, missile launchers would be a fabulous decision."

He adjusts his shirt.

"As for the Ukra-Tal collective, I say attack now! Even if theyre intentions are friendly, mine are certainly not!"

Shouting erupts from behind him.

"Quiet, I say!" It dies into a murmur. "Anyway, thats my vote."

He sits down, and adjusts his shirt again.
Empty
Captain
Captain

Post by Empty »

THIS IS OUR LAND AND OUR SECTION OF SPACE.
FIRE ZE TORPEDOES AND MAKE A PREEMPTIVE STRIKE BEFORE THEY MAY STRIKE US!

I bet you can't guess my vote.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Hurry up and vote more, guys. :D I wanna keep going!
Quality Control Enforcer
Atrum
Captain
Captain

Post by Atrum »

Senator Sylen stood up.

"New hulls, new weapons. Fine. We just reached space, remember. Now, we've encountered Xenos. Fine Now, I'm not going to bore you with a long speech. Instead, I'll bore you with a short one so I can get back on this nice comfy chair over here."

"Firstly, war with these Xenos WILL tax our economy. I say we either form a trade alliance, benefitting both of us, or at least a truce with them. That way, we can avoid a war before we even have a military, and not slow our advance into space, thus preventing us from being crushed by other races which have been unimpeded by an early war. That is all."
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Swamp Fox wrote:"Weaponization: I believe that a sattelite and sttaion system supplemented by ships should be adequate. While non-line-of-sight weapons do have their advantages, they also have serious drawbacks, one of which being that they tend to be interceptable. Again, my opinion is compromise. There should be a fair number of missiles, but there should also be more powerful beam weapons and railguns, not to mention whatever else might be cooked up."
Note to all other folk on this topic;

Unfortunately, SE5's combat engine is not friendly to direct fire weapons on space stations. Unless the base has at least one omnidirectional firepoint, which many don't, then you do not employ direct fire weapons, because half the time that weapon will not be firing.

I've run tests and seen mighty direct fire bases be nibbled to death by a handful of frigates, whereas missile launching bases simply laughed them off with a volley of tacnuke missiles.

I do not wish to look like I'm pushing for missile bases but as it is, using direct fire weapons on them is, to be blunt, madness.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Exethalion
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Exethalion »

Archimandrite Gardranga stands and addresses the council chamber.

I second the recommendations of General Zenstar. Military figures like ourselves recognise that enhancement and improvement of current technologies is vital when we come across new and unknown enemies. The winner will always be the best prepared one, so ensuring that our space fleet and planetary defences are armed with advanced missile and energy based weaponry is vital to preserve the integrity of our system.

Finally, regarding the xenological contact, I beleive it is in our best interests to ensure that the vessel does not proceed to enter our system any further. Despite lack of information as to its intentions, letting the craft enter our space would be a compromise of our defences and these new technologies. I suggest sending an envoy to try and determine the vessel's intentions at this time.

That is all, thank you council members.
Last edited by Exethalion on Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RavingManiac
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by RavingManiac »

Senator Ravus:

"War is a wasteful thing, especially if there is much potential in peaceful cooperation. If possible, we must live harmoniously with these aliens, so that exchange of ideas and resources may take place. Nevertheless, they could easily betray us, so militarizing our space is necessary, both to deter attack and defend ourselves should the situation arise."
"We must be focused on long-term benefits, as short-sighted actions will only leave our nation floundering behind in the future. The advanced theoretical sciences department should receive most of the research funding."
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

Tylun Huxley, intelligence operative working under the newly founded and very secretive Forumite Space Intelligence Bureau slowly rose from his seat.

"Gentlemen, I'd like to voice my opinion, if you don't mind of course."
Rubbing his nose with his left hand he turned to look at senator Sylen.

"What the senator says holds true, a war with these aliens won't do us any good at this point. I say we engage in negotiations with them, winning their trust will be more advantageous for us than fighting them straight off without knowing what they're here for."

With a slightly dramatic hand gesture he tipped back in his chair.
"Besides, the best way to hit someone is when they're not expecting it, if we ever deem it neccesary it will be easier to strike if they think of us as allies"
Anna

Post by Anna »

2402.0:
Another colony ship launched. Destroyer technology developed. Construction of a new "Arbitrary Use of Force"-class Destroyer commences on Gyesmyd. Ground-based missile systems and planetary sattelite defense grids begin construction on Rukbat II. A new, larger Research Colony is built on Achird I. Gyesmyd completes construction of another Colony ship, which is sent with another fifteen million Forumites to colonise Achird II. The Ukra-Tal ship seems to be surveying the Achird system. No communications have been sent by the Ukra-Tal, and we have made no attempt to start talks with them. Scientists begin research into Plasma-based missile technology, after predictions that they will be up to 200% more effective than the current Capital Ship Missiles, which rely on outdated Nuclear missile technology. The GSe Lightstriker is positioned to defend the Warp Point from the Achird system into our home system of Rukbat, from the Ukra-Tal Collective.

2402.1:
The Ukra-Tal ship in the Achird system seems to have left sensor range, and its position is currently unknown. However, the system only has two ways out, and one is guarded by the GSe Lightstriker, so it seems likely they are either still in the system, or have fled back to where they came from. Achird II is settled without delay, and mining and farming operations begin construction there, as well as another Space Yard. GSe Aidan completes is sensor sweep of the Mira system, and upon finding nothing of interest, it sets a course to the uncharted warp-point there.
Nothing else of note happens. The defense systems on Rukbat II progress nicely. A missive is sent to the Ukra-Tal Collective, requesting a trade alliance, and a sharing of older technologies, as well as non-aggression in neutral space. We eagerly await their response.

2402.2:
Construction of the first Arbitrary Use of Force-class Warship is completed, and it is dubbed the GSw Atrum. This ship, while too small for heavy amounts of armour, is outfitted with an impressive point defense system, a pair of Capital Ship Missile launchers, and a Depleted Uranium Railgun. It should be more than capable of handling any intrusive frigates sent by enemy xenos.
With that complete, five Nevermore-type Missile Defense Platforms, and fifteen Guardian-type Missile Sattelites begin construction on Gyesmyd. Meanwhile, GSe Aidan enters a new system with a strange green star, called "Nashira". Thus far it seems unpopulated, with many Rock worlds that unfortunately lack a suitable atmosphere to become viable colonies.
No response yet from the Ukra-Tal. Progress into Plasma Missile research progresses slowly but surely, and the GSw Atrum is sent through the nearest Warp Point and into Achird, to search for the Ukra-Tal vessel, and perhaps their home system.

2402.3:
Amazingly, some good news. The Ukra-Tal Collective finally responded to our request for a Trade and Research Pact, and they accepted. Trade has begin that will benefit both our nations, and soon the trade of older technologies will begin. This is a glorious day. First Contact with an alien species was made peacefully, and without bloodshed. Unfortunately, the peace didn't last for long. The GSw Atrum unwittingly warped into a Ukra-Tal controlled system, and was immediately targetted and destroyed by two of their Frigates. Under the stipulations of our own treaty, this is acceptable, however one-hundred and fifty Forumites died, this day. Will you, the good people of the Gyesmyd Swarm, stand for this!? Or will we rise up and fight back against the Ukra-Tal Scourge, and make them pay for the 150 lives taken, with 150 million of theirs!?

Senators, Generals, the floor is yours!
Quality Control Enforcer