The Large Hadron Collider, what do u guys think?

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

CheesyErwin
Captain
Captain

Post by CheesyErwin »

I apologize for my stupidity, but I really wanted to ask, what does this Large Hardon Collider do? Skimming the wiki page doesn't give me any idea of it.
The only thing I know is it's related to the manipulation of antimatter. (I think I had seen it before on a documentry about explosives.)

Edit:For what I know about the antimatter, is that when it contacts with any matter, they would consume(I don't know if "consume is the right word for it) each other and would release pure energy.
-CheesyErwin.
The one who makes the best[Claim disputed] mechas with BSF currently. (And the creator of the Sabot Cannon of the BSFCE.)

Worlds At War Universe:
The Earth Coaltion
Mars People's Union
The Free City-states of Luna
Exethalion
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Exethalion »

CheesyErwin wrote:I apologize for my stupidity, but I really wanted to ask, what does this Large Hardon Collider do? Skimming the wiki page doesn't give me any idea of it.
Collide Hadrons (mesons and baryons, basically particles like protons) into each other at near the speed of light. The resulting impact is supposed to be similar to conditions just after the big bang, and detectors record the information. It'll also spawn new particles and stuff. More than anything it's a jack of all trades, loads of answers should come out of it in due time.
CheesyErwin
Captain
Captain

Post by CheesyErwin »

Exethalion wrote:
CheesyErwin wrote:I apologize for my stupidity, but I really wanted to ask, what does this Large Hardon Collider do? Skimming the wiki page doesn't give me any idea of it.
Collide Hadrons (mesons and baryons, basically particles like protons) into each other at near the speed of light. The resulting impact is supposed to be similar to conditions just after the big bang, and detectors record the information. It'll also spawn new particles and stuff. More than anything it's a jack of all trades, loads of answers should come out of it in due time.
I see, so in this process, it has possibities to produce mirco black holes though the collision of the particles?
-CheesyErwin.
The one who makes the best[Claim disputed] mechas with BSF currently. (And the creator of the Sabot Cannon of the BSFCE.)

Worlds At War Universe:
The Earth Coaltion
Mars People's Union
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

CheesyErwin wrote:I see, so in this process, it has possibities to produce mirco black holes though the collision of the particles?
A tiny, 1 in 50 million chance, yes. As Stephen Hawking has observed, though, collisions such as these happen in Earth's atmosphere fairly regularly. So there is essentially zero risk of anything bad happening due to the LHC. It simply won't happen.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

Its a simple internet rumor that a black hole will form. Everyone at school was screaming "WERE GONNA DIE" at the top of their lungs on the day it was activated... lol
Not enough Delta in your life? Have a look at https://twitter.com/Deltabacon1 - I do a fair amount of casting and esports analysis which may appeal to some of you who are that way inclined!
CheesyErwin
Captain
Captain

Post by CheesyErwin »

Though LHC might not be able to produce a mirco black hole, but through this process, can create antimatter particles (Bash me if I am wrong. I am no good with science.) which can be manipulated as some sort of weapon of mass destruction. But would the LHC has the ability to produce a sufficent amount of antimatter particles?

(This question might seem extraordinarily silly, but it might be something that worth to discuss/debate for.)
-CheesyErwin.

Worlds At War Universe:
The Earth Coaltion
Mars People's Union
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

CheesyErwin wrote:Though LHC might not be able to produce a mirco black hole, but through this process, can create antimatter particles (Bash me if I am wrong. I am no good with science.) which can be manipulated as some sort of weapon of mass destruction. But would the LHC has the ability to produce a sufficent amount of antimatter particles?
I really want to bash you. But I won't, because it's not entirely your fault that you're so ignorant on the subject. Yes, the collisions will likely produce anti-matter. But you don't seem to get it: It's colliding sub-atomic particles together. That means there will be a FUCKING TINY amount of antimatter produced from said collision. And when I say fucking tiny, I mean so goddamn small you probably couldn't see it with the naked eye. This is not an impressive amount of anti-matter, and it's certainly not the stuff of WMDs. A stick of TNT would have more explosive power to it.

EDIT: Fun fact! Antimatter is said to be the most expensive substance in existence, with an estimated cost of $300 billion per milligram.
Last edited by Anna on Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Pyront
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Pyront »

Deltaflyer wrote:Its a simple internet rumor that a black hole will form. Everyone at school was screaming "WERE GONNA DIE" at the top of their lungs on the day it was activated... lol
Lots of people were talking about it at school, with lots of different rumors, but most people wer'nt shouting WERE GONNA DIE.
CheesyErwin
Captain
Captain

Post by CheesyErwin »

Anna wrote:
CheesyErwin wrote:Though LHC might not be able to produce a mirco black hole, but through this process, can create antimatter particles (Bash me if I am wrong. I am no good with science.) which can be manipulated as some sort of weapon of mass destruction. But would the LHC has the ability to produce a sufficent amount of antimatter particles?
I really want to bash you. But I won't, because it's not entirely your fault that you're so ignorant on the subject. Yes, the collisions will likely produce anti-matter. But you don't seem to get it: It's colliding sub-atomic particles together. That means there will be a FUCKING TINY amount of antimatter produced from said collision. And when I say fucking tiny, I mean so goddamn small you probably couldn't see it with the naked eye. This is not an impressive amount of anti-matter, and it's certainly not the stuff of WMDs. A stick of TNT would have more explosive power to it.

EDIT: Fun fact! Antimatter is said to be the most expensive substance in existence, with an estimated cost of $300 billion per milligram.
Thanks for the explaination, I think I've got a lecture on quantum physics and chemistry here.
-CheesyErwin.

Worlds At War Universe:
The Earth Coaltion
Mars People's Union
T-002
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by T-002 »

It's all a bit stupid anyway. If the chance of creating black holes were so big, then surely the scientists, the ones who know of its inner workings, wouldn't risk it.

I just love how most people show their herd-mentality by going with anything and making a fuss.
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]
Da_Higg
Captain
Captain

Post by Da_Higg »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Larg ... n_Collider

Despite the LHC breaking, they still wan't to make this.
Look Up
upon reading this:
50% of people will have scrolled up
25% will have looked at their ceiling
The last 25% can now feel smug because everyone else has taken orders from a little sig box.
Elvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Elvin »

I don't see why you said " despite"- the LHC broke, big deal. It'll be working again in a month or two, it's a bit of lost time. And it's natural to want to build bigger stuff- as technology improves, bigger things become possible, so more things are discovered with the better materials. Science is a continual loop.
T-002
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by T-002 »

If it keeps growing and growing, then it's not exactly a loop, is it?

More like a stack.

"Well we can't go calling it a science stack, now can we?"
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

Its more like a series of loops created by a series of tubes:

All this because Gravity showed up to the party ridiculously earlier than everyone else. :roll:
Don’t worry it has airbags.