BSF Cipher Challenge

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Empty
Captain
Captain

Post by Empty »

How can it be steganography if we know we have to find a message.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Because, he can post distractors :P
DoubleThink
Captain
Captain

Post by DoubleThink »

Code: Select all

IYE WOK XZOYZ VO MYEVNK MDEKVI CDKI NYG XD ROBOPYB! RE XNBONIOKBCSD GYE VNXYDL ONSPSMEV DWOSXPE RBOBXEMV OKBOKMDYB CMYEVN SWCY BBIWB BOC SNOX DXEMVOK BOKMD YBCMY EVNZBY FSNOZY GOBK VWYCD SXNOPS XSDOVI QB OXRY ECO CMYEV NWKSX DKSX ZVKXDV SPKXS WKVCMY EVN LOL BON KXNCVKE QRDOBNA ESMUCEBF OIGYEVNRK FODYLO WKNOY PKVV &KFKSV KLVOWSX OCSDOC SXDROMY EXDBIL EDSG YEVNQ EOCCDR KDNGO VVSX QCZKMO PYBCOFO BKVRE XNBONDR YECKXNC YPYE BZOYZV OMYE VNOKC SV ILOZ BYFS NON
Shouldn't be too much harder.

To restate conditions of success:
All words correct, punctuation correct to the best of your ability (I know that many of you have issues with that, so I'll be a tad lenient.), and I'd appreciate an explanation of how you deciphered it.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

50 45 4e 49 53 21

:|
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

YOU MEAN, PEOPLE COULD ACTUAL(L)Y STAY DOWN THERE FOR (A) HUNDRED YEARS?

IT WOULD NOT BE DIF(F)ICULT MEIN FUHRER! NUCLEA(R) REACTORS COULD, (HEH)... I'M SORRY MR. (P)RESIDENT. NUCLEA(R) REACTORS COULD PROVIDE POWER ALMOST INDEFINITELY. GREENHOUSES COULD MAINTAIN PLANTLIFE. ANIMALS COULD BE BRED AND SLAUGHTER(E)D. (A) QUICK SURVEY WOULD HAVE TO BE MADE OF ALL (THE) AVAILABLE MINE SITES IN THE COUNTRY. BUT I WOULD GUESS... THAT (AH), DWELLING SPACE FOR SEVERAL HUNDRED THOUSANDS OF OUR PEOPLE COULD EASILY BE PROVIDED.
I believe that's correct, plus about 20 letters I added, in (), plus punctuation, to match the original text from which it was taken.

First I noted that no 2 or 3 letter words were the same, so I assumed it was not a substitution. So the next filter I tried was a Caesar, which didn't yield anything until I got to A->K, from which I got the following:
YOU MEA NPEOP LE COULDA CTUALY STAY DOW NT HEREFOR HU NDREDYEARSIT WOU LDNOTB EDIFICUL TMEINFU HRERNUCL EAREACTOR SCOULD IMSO RRYMR RES IDEN TNUCLEA REACT ORSCO ULDPRO VIDEPO WERA LMOST INDEFI NITELY GR ENHO USE SCOUL DMAIN TAIN PLANTL IFANI MALSCO ULD BEB RED ANDSLAU GHTERDQ UICKSURV EYWOULDHA VETOBE MADEO FALL AVAIL ABLEMIN ESITES INTHECO UNTRYB UTIW OULDG UESSTH ATDWE LLIN GSPACE FORSEVE RALHU NDREDTH OUSANDS OFOU RPEOPL ECOU LDEAS IL YBEP ROVI DED
Then I reformatted it to what you see above, after a quick Google to find the original text I was thinking of. Good old Dr. Strangelove.

@Arc: wuh?
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
Empty
Captain
Captain

Post by Empty »

WE MUST NOT ALLOW A MINE SHAFT GAP
Lord-General Thunder
Commander
Commander

Post by Lord-General Thunder »

This reminds me of the time (in Grade Eight) that some other class challenged our class to decipher their code.

Having read of such things before, I recognized it as a basic mono-alphabetic substitution cipher and was able to crack it using frequency analysis (the same way the OP message was deciphered.)

Being the heartless soul that I am, I re-enciphered the message using an coordinate-substitution cipher and sent it back to them with the key table sitting in plain view on the same page. They never did get back to us on that one... :lol:
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/DraTuicichNovae/BLANKcopy-6.jpg[/img]
DoubleThink
Captain
Captain

Post by DoubleThink »

Point to CT

I removed double letters and replaced the word 'the' with '&' so that there'd be less to go on for frequency analysis. Doesn't seem like that was much of an obstacle though. Next code will be up soon.