Cold War 2 Alpha

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

This has already been dealt with: you can only build X points per turn, where X is the number of systems you control, and you must have a completed Space Station in a system to control it. Space Stations cost 2 points, so that keeps things regulated enough early on, and later on, colonizing systems is less important than destroying fleets. There's no reason to have to wait several turns to build a station or have a station for several turns, as recapturing a system back and forth is very expensive for both parties (if a 20 system empire has to build 2 stations each turn to recapture planets, that's 20% of it's budget). Similarly, fighters should be able to colonize systems too, since if you over extend yourself, enemies can just destroy your stations repeatedly, bankrupting you. These additional rules would just give the mods a headache without gaining us anything.

@TrashMan: My whole fleet has completely modded weapons, plus some. That's been allowed since square one, and why we use the current cost scheme. The mod's aren't stupid, and neither are the players. Anything IMBA won't be allowed, and if anything, I'm making my ships a bit underpowered.

I have a suggestion for the real cold war: swap the standard Cronus for a Cronus with some projectile weapons in place of the flux projector. That fixes the PD issue.
Office hours: 12:30-2:00 PST M-F, in #BSF.
Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

Water_and_Wind wrote:Of course this brings me to the question in my previous post. If the RP is the focus then it is not so important to optimize your ships, but if the TBS is the focus people will start minmaxing, without fail. Then it becomes a tournament.
falco1029 wrote:Yeah RP should be the focus becaus eif i just becomes an extended tournament i wotn wanna be involved. But the TBS should play a small role. But the ships should be unique, not tested a million times for the perfect allowable loadout
In case you haven't realized, this is not a roleplay. It's a tournament, by nature. A very badly designed tournament, but a tournament nonetheless.

And don't give me that "but it's meant to be a roleplay" bullshit, it's a tournament because that's how it is designed, regardless of whether it was intended to be one or not.
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

Anarki wrote:
Water_and_Wind wrote:Of course this brings me to the question in my previous post. If the RP is the focus then it is not so important to optimize your ships, but if the TBS is the focus people will start minmaxing, without fail. Then it becomes a tournament.
falco1029 wrote:Yeah RP should be the focus becaus eif i just becomes an extended tournament i wotn wanna be involved. But the TBS should play a small role. But the ships should be unique, not tested a million times for the perfect allowable loadout
In case you haven't realized, this is not a roleplay. It's a tournament, by nature. A very badly designed tournament, but a tournament nonetheless.

And don't give me that "but it's meant to be a roleplay" bullshit, it's a tournament because that's how it is designed, regardless of whether it was intended to be one or not.
If not a tournament, a game, but he's right. This isn't much of a roleplay.
Comus
Commander
Commander

Post by Comus »

Lizzie wrote:If not a tournament, a game, but he's right. This isn't much of a roleplay.
It isn't much of a roleplay in that there are no set rules for roleplaying, for the simple reason that no one needs rules to tell them how to RP. All the rules are going to focus on the aspects that need to be balanced between two people to avoid the constant one-upping and wankships that this can lead to.
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

Comus wrote:
Lizzie wrote:If not a tournament, a game, but he's right. This isn't much of a roleplay.
It isn't much of a roleplay in that there are no set rules for roleplaying, for the simple reason that no one needs rules to tell them how to RP. All the rules are going to focus on the aspects that need to be balanced between two people to avoid the constant one-upping and wankships that this can lead to.
Which leads to another point I was wanting to make. This is more like risk, galatic conquest, whatever you want to call it.

The cold war was named such because all it was, was a rising of tensions and arms between star states, mainly IVL and Aralonia. Remove the "my ship is more wank then yours" and you can't call it a coldwar. Because then it's not.
That was the entire point of the last coldwar was that everyone was basically rising in arms in preparation for war. Once war broke out you can't really call it from that point on, a cold war.
Comus
Commander
Commander

Post by Comus »

Lizzie wrote:Which leads to another point I was wanting to make. This is more like risk, galatic conquest, whatever you want to call it.

The cold war was named such because all it was, was a rising of tensions and arms between star states, mainly IVL and Aralonia. Remove the "my ship is more wank then yours" and you can't call it a coldwar. Because then it's not.
That was the entire point of the last coldwar was that everyone was basically rising in arms in preparation for war. Once war broke out you can't really call it from that point on, a cold war.
I wanted to call it Galactic Conquest. It was mod-edited to Cold War. I know it isn't a cold war. There just isn't anything I can do about the name.
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

Comus wrote:
Lizzie wrote:Which leads to another point I was wanting to make. This is more like risk, galatic conquest, whatever you want to call it.

I wanted to call it Galactic Conquest. It was mod-edited to Cold War. I know it isn't a cold war. There just isn't anything I can do about the name.
Wait .... Mod edited. Which mod? Seriously.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Arc did that. It was originally called the Galactic conquest, but Arc didn't want it to be called that way, because he was working on an idea with the same name. Or at least I think it was that reason...
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

By the way, don't we have to include a Space Station in our original fleet :P ? No one has yet...
falco1029
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by falco1029 »

Meh, i know it's risk-like, but it;d be cooler with more focus on rp. But i guess this one goes to the ship-tweaking junkies :(

I'm still in though, even though I'm going to lose. Though I may start another thing like this with focus more on rp.
[CENTER][img]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg[/img][url=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][b]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/b][/url][/CENTER]
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

This was started as an RP, and all the rules have just been to keep it from asploding Cold War 1 style. I think that the rules we have have reached the point where they should keep things from messing up, but won't get in the way of the RPing at all. All you do each turn is choose what to build and where to move, after all. In fact, the way it's been set up, the rules will complement the RP side perfectly. It forces alliances, negotiations, the whole bit. If we go with non RP, this won't be a terribly exciting game.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

ArcaneDude wrote:Arc did that. It was originally called the Galactic conquest, but Arc didn't want it to be called that way, because he was working on an idea with the same name. Or at least I think it was that reason...
Someone give this man a cookie.

Then shoot him, he knows too much. :P
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

mtheminja wrote:This was started as an RP, and all the rules have just been to keep it from asploding Cold War 1 style. I think that the rules we have have reached the point where they should keep things from messing up, but won't get in the way of the RPing at all. All you do each turn is choose what to build and where to move, after all. In fact, the way it's been set up, the rules will complement the RP side perfectly. It forces alliances, negotiations, the whole bit. If we go with non RP, this won't be a terribly exciting game.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

YOU MAKE ME LAUGH
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

Ok...
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Arcalane wrote:Someone give this man a cookie.

Then shoot him, he knows too much. :P
*takes cookie*

*activates personal shielding and bodyguard drones*
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush