Cold War 2 Alpha

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

I'll take Tau Ceti for the Illumi Republic. :P

Illumi Republic:
Founded on the principles of law, justice, democracy, and equality for all, the Republic has stood for its ideals in all its ways of dealing with external agents. It has withstood the test of time for at least 500 years, and has not had a single war since its formation due to the normally pacifist attitude of the Illumi. As of now, they are preparing for a cold war between them and other alien civilisations who populate their local neighbourhood, and are beginning to expand past the borders of their home system before colonising some more, after this half millennium of development within their own star system. Currently their own star system is packed to the brim, with approximately 50 billion Illumi living on Illumia (the homeworld), New Illumia (a terraformed planet), and other space habitats in orbit around planets and asteroids. Though the Tau Ceti star system includes the presence of an asteroid belt, the Illumi have carefully mapped it and every single significant hunk of rock in it, and have kept this system beautifully preserved through environmental campaigns on Illumia and cross-seeding of species to New Illumia and other space habitats.

The Illumi (singular: Illum) themselves are humanoid in nature (therefore similar with the Terrans of Sol), the only differences being their slightly taller height (averaging around 2 m), their exquisite appetite for music, arts, and fine cuisine (even more than Terrans, which are still renowned for their most amazing history of culture and philosophy), their skin colour (Illumi are roughly gray-coloured with a slight tinge of green), and finally their light but dense muscular structure, which allows Illumi to move extremely stealthily and quickly from one place to another. This accounts for their usual military and fleet tactics, which are usually of intelligence-gathering, covert sniping, and quality over quantity (in terms of military units and starships), making them one of the brightest tacticians and strategists ever since antiquity, and a ruthlessly efficient war force when times change.

The Illumi Republic has a central ruler: the Chancellor. It is him who makes and vetoes the most important decisions in the Illumi Senate, which is made up of many different representatives from all over the Tau Ceti star system. They now have come to a final decision: it is time for a war of sorts, a development of Illumi civilisation past the limits of their own star sytem, and the breaking of the final frontier which lies between them and their rule, at last, of several star systems all united under the banner of one: the Republic.
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
Comus
Commander
Commander

Post by Comus »

About Fighters: I'm not going for realism here. I had considered requiring fighters to be in a group with at least one larger ship before moving between systems, but decided against it for two reasons. One, the ability of fighters to move between systems so quickly is a balancing factor against how weak they are. Two, Star Wars had hyperspace-capable fighters, so why not?

About the map: It's just a fecking map. I grabbed it from google because it has stars and has a nice, convenient hex grid on it. I did not make my own map or edit this one heavily because THIS IS A BETA, not a finished product. Hell, people can rename the stars whatever they want, and I'll put the new names on the map with the rest of the running changes.

About derekiv as mod: No one else has asked to help.

Anarki: I didn't want to call this the Cold War. It was mod edited to that, and I don't feel like arguing with them. That said, Cold War is something that people already have a handle on, an idea they already understand, so the term is useful in that regard. If you don't like it, don't participate. Hell, if you don't need rules, then go and create the roleplay you want to see, right now. It's a lot more constructive than complaining.

Arcalane: Yeah, I wish there was something better than Nagaya3, too. But I have very little else to test with. Suggestions?

I'll add everyone to the map ASAP.
Aralonia
Butt Admiral
Butt Admiral

Post by Aralonia »

TrashMan wrote:
Aralonia wrote:I seriously doubt that A type stars can support life, considering they'll go 'OH SHIT THE CORE IS MADE OF IRON, I CAN'T FUSE THAT' before any significant progress on life is made. Specifically, the star Altair is less than 1 billion years old. That, and during their protostar 'HAY UNIVERSE, I'M ALIIIIIIIIIIIVE' throes of shooting fuckloads of extra mass everywhere (reflection nebulae) they'd probably also blast away the planets surrounding them...
We're using the chart for system location and ID...star type is pretty much irrelevant for that matter and is story/faction dependant.
"TIS FOR STORY D:" is a shitty excuse anywhere. If it doesn't work and is pretty much impossible, don't do it.
DPUO wrote:<+AirHippo> Funnily enough, folks who abide by the law and try to make something of their lives don't appreciate the rich kids of rich parents getting away with murder and skimming through life.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Subscribe me for Wolf 359, (resistance is futile) bitte. For the Vilushan empire. And change the name to Vilvaron, plz.

The Vilushan Empire

A stable and secure governement, the Vilushan empire has long ruled a single system, Vilvaron, known to the outside galaxy as Wolf 359. Their home planet of Vilusha is a large world, surrounded by a number of habitable moons. For a very long time, the Vilushans have had no need to endeavour out of their own solar system, and have never expanded their empire. Over the past century, Vilushan society has boomed due to massive advancements in medical technology. Vilusha's main continent has already been converted into a massive city, and all 5 habitable moons are almost overpopulated. Now the empire sees no other way to save the Vilushan people; it must expand. Driven by a will to survive, the Vilushans will take whatever means necessary to ensure their existance, even if it means entering the inevitable arms race, now slowly enveloping the Milky Way Galaxy.

The Vilushans

Vilushan people are peaceful, yet they have a strong will to survive. They support their governrement in it's decisions. Vilushan physiology is roughly humanoid, although they are generally somewhat taller than the typical human. Their hair whitens quickly, grey-haired Vilushans of around forty years are not uncommon. Vilushans are commonly patient, which translates into their battle tactics and strategy.

The Imperial Governement

Although an empire, the Vilushan governement is largely a democracy. The emperor or empress is chosen from a list of candidates, and is mostly the wisest or most progressive politician on the planet. The Imperial senate is the emperors main governing body, and senators are chosen per province, and per moon. The current emperor is Marvuk Soliden, one of the more progressive emperors. His chosen High Commander for the Vilushan Navy is Saren Vilush, an aristocrat with a rather famous temper. Both men will be leading the Vilushan endeavour into the Galaxy beyond, as preparations are being made to the now rapidly expanding Vilushan Imperial Navy.
Note that you can play AND be a mod, if you like.
How about...No, you can't? Ever heard of buddy-politics? Ever heard of cheating?

BTW, anyone caring to have the Ruustirii as their faction? :P
Last edited by ArcaneDude on Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Shadow Hydra
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Shadow Hydra »

My fleets in the works, and an old version of my civilization's history is over four pages long, so should i just post them in the custom ships forum? And i would like to change the name of my planet to Alkanor please.
TrashMan
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TrashMan »

Aralonia wrote: "TIS FOR STORY D:" is a shitty excuse anywhere. If it doesn't work and is pretty much impossible, don't do it.
Do you want to re-do the map? No... then I don't care.

As far as I'm concerned Altair is a system similar to Sol...same type of sun, with a M class planet.
[img]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_iswhite.jpg[/img][url=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][b]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/b][/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforever/shipdatabase/uploads/VANavy.rar]VA FLEET[/url]
derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

Anarki wrote:This is the most fucking retarded piece of bullshit I've seen since trader.

Honestly, what the fuck.

I thought everyone fucking understood that the Cold War wasn't a fucking goddamn game! It's a roleplay, for the love of god!

Yet you create this abomination of a game. What the FUCK.
The name ways originally Galactic Conquest Beta till Arcalane changed it.

And at Anna: I already said I was sorry about my activities in the cold war. I was new t the forums at the time.
Joss
Commander
Commander

Post by Joss »

Can i join at ad leonis.

Catfishysans.
oh and why don't you give each planet a default defence platform with a nano matrix and four beamers or somthing.
The below is true...
The above is false....
doc525
Commander
Commander

Post by doc525 »

#$@%. Nevermind that, I don't want to be in this...
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

Joss wrote:oh and why don't you give each planet a default defence platform with a nano matrix and four beamers or somthing.
Instead, why don't we add the ability to make our own stations to the rules.

OFFTOPIC:
Aralonia wrote:I seriously doubt that A type stars can support life, considering they'll go 'OH SHIT THE CORE IS MADE OF IRON, I CAN'T FUSE THAT' before any significant progress on life is made. Specifically, the star Altair is less than 1 billion years old. That, and during their protostar 'HAY UNIVERSE, I'M ALIIIIIIIIIIIVE' throes of shooting fuckloads of extra mass everywhere (reflection nebulae) they'd probably also blast away the planets surrounding them...
It's funny to read this, because I just got out of an astrophysics oral final. Electron degeneracy pressure FTW!
Last edited by mtheminja on Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Office hours: 12:30-2:00 PST M-F, in #BSF.
Aralonia
Butt Admiral
Butt Admiral

Post by Aralonia »

TrashMan wrote:
Aralonia wrote: "TIS FOR STORY D:" is a shitty excuse anywhere. If it doesn't work and is pretty much impossible, don't do it.
Do you want to re-do the map? No... then I don't care.

As far as I'm concerned Altair is a system similar to Sol...same type of sun, with a M class planet.
Actually, yes, I might want to redo the map in my spare time, using such wonderful programs as Celestia to do my evil bidding for me.
DPUO wrote:<+AirHippo> Funnily enough, folks who abide by the law and try to make something of their lives don't appreciate the rich kids of rich parents getting away with murder and skimming through life.
Comus
Commander
Commander

Post by Comus »

Instead, why don't we add the ability to make our own stations to the rules.
A good idea. Ideas on how to cost them?
AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

Just an Idea:
Defense Platform (just the defense platform core and a weapon)- .5 point
Small Space Station (a couple of weapon and sections < 7) - 1 point
Space Station ( 10- 50 section station)- 2 points
Starbase ( anything larger than a space station) - 4 points
StarFortress of Doom ( any huge space installation, with a differnent name of course) - 8 points
The walls have eyes: the shadows we throw are the shadows we try to throw off.
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

Well, stations should be more powerful per point in exchange for no mobility, so the first two should be a bit better. Maybe Defense Platforms only cost 0.2 points (remembering that fighters have 1 zeluspower, and they can move between systems), Small Space Stations are 2-15 sections+weapons, and Space Stations are 16-40 sections+weapons. Also, each system can only have one Starbase (41-100 sections+weapons?), and each civilization can only have one Starfort (101+ sections+weapons).

Actually, we should probably use the same point system on second thought:

Defense Platform - <1 Zeluspower - 0.2 point (the '<' means beatable by a Zelus, not tied with)
Small Space Station - <2 Hestiapower - 1 point
Space Station - <2 Cronuspower - 2 points
Starbase - 1 Nagaya3power - 4 points (one max per system)
Starfort - <3 Nagaya3power - 8 points (one max per empire, maybe must have at least 5 systems?)
Office hours: 12:30-2:00 PST M-F, in #BSF.
Joss
Commander
Commander

Post by Joss »

I think you should ban mega tachs from a defence platform, they cannot beat a zelus due to movement, if the ai is being clever that is.

OOh i have an idea, divide weapons between light and heavy, smaller starships can't use heavys.
The below is true...
The above is false....