Anonymous is Legion!

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

If it were only idiots, then Project Chanology would not be going as well as it is. There are idiots, yes. They're called newfags. Newfags learn or they leave. Not all Anonymous are idiots. Although I got bored of it and left, but hey. Once an Anonymous, always an Anonymous.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

Anna wrote:If it were only idiots, then Project Chanology would not be going as well as it is.
What? You mean a package of common DDOS tools along with a mob mentality and someone saying "HAY GUYS LET'S DO THIS" requires intellect? Maybe a bit of organizational skill but you don't really have to be a genius, or even not stupid, to be a leader.
There are idiots, yes. They're called newfags. Newfags learn or they leave. Not all Anonymous are idiots. Although I got bored of it and left, but hey. Once an Anonymous, always an Anonymous.
What? You seriously believe that only new people are stupid? They've always been filtering in, adding to the shit. It was amazing watching the weeks after the DON'T MESS WITH FOOTBALL incident. No new memes, only the same grinman shit over and over and over. 2007 was a painful year for 4chan as they withered and became overly filled with camwhores and excessively regurgitated memes. Note that I said overly. They've always been there, but it became painful.

Are there old people still there? A few, probably. But I don't think there are many that remember 11M get or further back. And let's not even start on the degradation of /v/ and /a/.
Last edited by Latooni on Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Some idiots think they can speak or represent the entirety of anonymous.

You know, the guys sending letters to media claiming to be Anon and completely getting it wrong or posting videos on youtube thinking they speak of behalf of people they've never met...

If they ALL ARE idiots, then something isn't right with this world. Really, if you think that they're all a bunch of nerdy teenagers or some other homogeneous mix of people, then I can tell you with certainty that is not the case.

Two of my professors, an average of three fellow students in seven of my classes, the science building janitor, the guy at shopper's drugmart and so forth respond in ways to cues that have shown me this group is beyond age, gender, race, class, boundaries and intelligence.
Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

I'm talking intelligence as in "not being a sheep."
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Sheep? I'm pretty sure there are several groups acting on their own accord.

There's no central driving force. Maybe a shared sense of thirst for humor, but I find it very strange you would label a leaderless, global phenomenon as akin to sheep.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Müg wrote:
Anna wrote:If it were only idiots, then Project Chanology would not be going as well as it is.
What? You mean a package of common DDOS tools along with a mob mentality and someone saying "HAY GUYS LET'S DO THIS" requires intellect? Maybe a bit of organizational skill but you don't really have to be a genius, or even not stupid, to be a leader.
That's how it started, sure. And now the DDoS attacks have stopped, and shit's actually getting organised.
Müg wrote:
There are idiots, yes. They're called newfags. Newfags learn or they leave. Not all Anonymous are idiots. Although I got bored of it and left, but hey. Once an Anonymous, always an Anonymous.
What? You seriously believe that only new people are stupid? They've always been filtering in, adding to the shit. It was amazing watching the weeks after the DON'T MESS WITH FOOTBALL incident. No new memes, only the same grinman shit over and over and over. 2007 was a painful year for 4chan as they withered and became overly filled with camwhores and excessively regurgitated memes. Note that I said overly. They've always been there, but it became painful.

Are there old people still there? A few, probably. But I don't think there are many that remember 11M get or further back. And let's not even start on the degradation of /v/ and /a/.
That's true enough. I can't really disagree with much of that.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

Squishy wrote:Sheep? I'm pretty sure there are several groups acting on their own accord.

There's no central driving force. Maybe a shared sense of thirst for humor, but I find it very strange you would label a leaderless, global phenomenon as akin to sheep.
Apparently you've never heard of mob physics.

Anyway, I'm done here, I hereby wash my hands of this discussion; I've been arguing it over and over on different sites and I don't know why.
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

No Mug.

Let me put it very bluntly.

You seem to have a fixed image of 'anonymous' being nothing more than a scattered group of hackers and low-brow internet users who find humor in shitting dick nipples, who are ONLY capable of DDOSing and pranking random people/organizations. And that they mostly come from one source (4chan?) with a few contributions from other shitholes of the net. (Or, that's what you've given me the impression of).

They ARE this, but not only this.

also; Sheep Mentality != Mob Physics.

It does not entirely apply to the group we're arguing about, and even if that IS true it does not make them any less capable of doing things beyond e-shenanigans.

Neither of us have any qualifications to figure out what this 'anonymous' thing is. What was true before cannot undeniably true now, especially when we consider how fast shit changes.

TL;DR: Stereotypes lick my balls.
Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

Oh, no, they're all sorts of people. They just plug themselves into a primitive hivemind when participating in things like this.
It does not entirely apply to the group we're arguing about, and even if that IS true it does not make them any less capable of doing things beyond e-shenanigans.
The mere fact that they're going to dress up and stand outside some offices all over the world does not mean they're actually capable of accomplishing anything. I have severe doubts whether it will, in fact, accomplish anything at all besides grow their ego.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

The problem with /b/ / 4chan / /i/ /Anonymous / whatever, is that they have or tend to have, an incredibly short attention span, and they have no sense of pacing. They will often overflood their target, and instead of having the intended effect, people will start to write it off as untrue harassment. See: Dog Mongler.

When Anon actually bothers to get organized (something entirely possible for them to do) and actually keeps their attention focused on something, well, frankly, I'm just glad I'm not the target. They're quite capable of doing more than I could comfortably imagine being done to me.

Like this Scientology thing. Though I'm not they can do it, I sincerely hope they manage to keep their attention span focused on it and stay organized long enough to draw real attention. Hell, if I could, I'd go help. I don't identify as an Anon, but that's the thing; you don't need to. Everyone is Anon, Anon is legion, etc etc.
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Müg wrote:Oh, no, they're all sorts of people. They just plug themselves into a primitive hivemind when participating in things like this.
The same can be said of any organization, especially a decentralized one.

The mere fact that they're going to dress up and stand outside some offices all over the world does not mean they're actually capable of accomplishing anything. I have severe doubts whether it will, in fact, accomplish anything at all besides grow their ego.
It's called silent protest. They've decided that, rather than through violence and other uncivilized acts of conduct, they're going to do a world-wide synchronized display.

You know what amazed me? They made sure that the local laws were all followed, they strictly enforced rules to prevent conflict with local government and police forces. They covered every possible avenue.

I have never heard of a world-wide, synchronized protest before. Hell, even in the past, small silent protests have indeed inflicted changes (with varying success).

They've already got the attention of media in various countries as well as the attention of several groups of people (will gladly provide links to videos, news articles and more). How is this NOT a sign of possible accomplishment?

Can you provide a SOLID reason why you keep shitting on these guys? It's not like they're harassing some guy on myspace, they're giving the middle finger to the Church of $cient0lgy. For once, they're doing something honorable for a change.

Edit: Spelling
Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

Yes I can but I was writing it up, realized I was about 5 paragraphs in, and deleted the whole thing because my opinion doesn't change anything about this.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Are you a Scientologist? <_<

Seriously, because there's no other reason to support Scientology. >_>
Kazuael
Captain
Captain

Post by Kazuael »

Even if you are a Scientologist, you only support it because that's what you've been told to do, so there's not much of a reason to support it at all.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

What are you guys smoking? Im following his thread and i don't see Müg supporting Scientology in any way.