MP Gaming

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

MP Gaming

Post by Arcalane »

So I was thinking; there are a lot of multiplayer games out there, and surely some of us are capable of playing some of them - so here we are - somewhere to co-ordinate online multiplayer games; be they cooperative or competitive.

Here are some starter suggestions;

Space Empires 4/5
Pros: Turn-based gameplay doesn't require everyone to be there at once.
Cons: Those who are more familiar with the game's intricacies and play style will probably beat the stuffing out of others.

Outpost 2
Pros: Questionably free, real-time RTT, does not need entirely competitive gameplay for MP.
Cons: Suffers from an incredibly convoluted tech tree and hard to know what everything does at first.

UFO2000
Pros: Free successor to X-COM with Human v Human MP. Available here.
Cons: Requires that you own the original X-COM in order to use sprites and weapons from it. Not that it's all that hard to get ahold of...

Warzone 2100
Pros: Free to download from here as the source was released long ago. Classic RTS.
Cons: Time consuming and probably fairly newb unfriendly.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Metal Fatigue
Pros: RTS game with giant fucking robots. Available to download from Home of the Underdogs.
Cons: Gameplay can be slow at first. Apparently has some problems with XP, although I am unaware of them.

Freelancer + Discovery Mod
Pros: You can fly anything from a fighter, to a cargo ship, to a motherfucking Capital Ship. Awesome.
Cons: Can get repetative and boring for some.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
kaaskopp
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by kaaskopp »

Anna wrote: Freelancer + Discovery Mod
Pros: You can fly anything from a fighter, to a cargo ship, to a motherfucking Capital Ship. Awesome.
nice idea, but there aren't many good discovery servers out there. and if you find a server with 30 - 40 players, the community mostly sucks. freelancer without big mods is cool too. come to hamburg city freelancer server.
[img]http://i17.tinypic.com/71qxdkx.png[/img]

joa, hascht wasch gegn waischwuascht?
scheiß weißwurst. Geht um alkohol junge!!
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Battle for Wesnoth
Pros: Very low learning curve, (almost) everything is moddable, great simple hex game that retains the sort of "grand" feel of those more complicated ones.
Cons: Hardcore Turn-Based Strategy Fans will quickly bore of it.
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
_Ti__
Commander
Commander

Post by _Ti__ »

Anna wrote:Metal Fatigue
Freelancer + Discovery Mod
Damn, I wish I could find my Freelancer disk
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2315][b]ENEBRA COLONIAL NAVY[/b][/url]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/_Ti__/ECNsig.jpg[/img]
Shadow Hydra
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Shadow Hydra »

Pirates of the Carribean

Pros- Who doesn't want to be a pirate. Land battles okay, but ship battles where it's at. Six weapons with full skill trees.

Cons- Can get boring, and not deep compared to other games.
M123
Captain
Captain

Re: MP Gaming

Post by M123 »

Arcalane wrote: Outpost 2
Pros: Questionably free, real-time RTT, does not need entirely competitive gameplay for MP.
Cons: Suffers from an incredibly convoluted tech tree and hard to know what everything does at first.

Warzone 2100
Pros: Free to download from here as the source was released long ago. Classic RTS.
Cons: Time consuming and probably fairly newb unfriendly.
Outpost 2 is free, you just have to download the movies and music seperately. Warzone 2100 is good, but you don't get any of the cutscenes from the game, which makes the story a bit tricky to decipher. I wouldn't call it newb friendly though, as the resource system is semi-complex, the research tree is huge and the AI is actually rather tough.

Here's links to Outpost 2 and Metal Fatigue:
Outpost 2

Outpost 2 music and cinematics

Metal Fatigue
<- Scroll down to the bottom of the page, find "where to get it:" in the table then download via BitTorrent or direct download.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

M123 wrote:I wouldn't call it newb friendly though, as the resource system is semi-complex, the research tree is huge and the AI is actually rather tough.
Read the quote again. I never said it was newb friendly.
Arcalane wrote:...probably fairly newb unfriendly.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
M123
Captain
Captain

Post by M123 »

Arcalane wrote: Read the quote again. I never said it was newb friendly.
Arcalane wrote:...probably fairly newb unfriendly.
Oh :oops:

Does anyone have any other -free- MP games?
Last edited by M123 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raithah
Commander
Commander

Post by Raithah »

I don't quite believe it, but just a couple days ago a friend brought Gate88 back into my mind. It's this awesome combination of Asteroids and RTSes, combined with some great sound effects and one of my favorite independent game developers (if you own a PS3, you deserve to look up Everyday Shooter). It's the most awesome game you will ever find that will also run on absolutely everything.

Again, it's free, it has multiplayer (*cough* :roll:) and can be found at Queasy Games . com.
The preferred outcome of war, is peace. Ironic; huh ? -[citation needed]
error
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by error »

UFO: Alien Invasion

Pros: open-source/free, rather fun, includes single player mode
Cons: multi-player not very developed
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=935]SRN Rigel Shipyards[/url]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Sins of a Solar Empire
Pros: Fairly simple and relatively easy to get into. Multiplayer save functionality.
Cons: Games can take several hours (ideal for weekends) and the balancing seems skewed at first.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
The Boz
Captain
Captain

Post by The Boz »

I reviewed Sins of a Solar Empire for PC PLAY magazine. Gave it a high grade, but I can't disclose it until the issue is released.
Definitely a recommendation. Awesome, awesome game. Long games are not a con, this is not an RTS, it's a RT4X. Think Galactic Civilizations 2 in real time. Kinda like Conquest: Frontier Wars, but better, nicer, awesomer and runs smoother. Works on 4 year old systems like mine in big, epic, 500ship fleet fights. Mod friendly.
MAKE LOVE, NOT SPAM!
LordGarcia
Captain
Captain

Post by LordGarcia »

Astrobattle

pros:

-build your own ships and fight against other player!

cons:
-Actual version is bugged and the communiy is very inactive at the moment.
-No real single player and no KI.

this is another one man game and the guy that programmed this game can't programm thet much as usual because of some real life stuff (becoming father, having a job etc...)

However I learned of this game over a guy in that forum and hat game is worth a view.
Himura.Kenshin said: What kind of pure, absolute [i]retard[/i] would run a bomb by Windows?
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

The Boz wrote:I reviewed Sins of a Solar Empire for PC PLAY magazine. Gave it a high grade, but I can't disclose it until the issue is released.
Definitely a recommendation. Awesome, awesome game. Long games are not a con, this is not an RTS, it's a RT4X. Think Galactic Civilizations 2 in real time. Kinda like Conquest: Frontier Wars, but better, nicer, awesomer and runs smoother. Works on 4 year old systems like mine in big, epic, 500ship fleet fights. Mod friendly.
Oh I know that it's not a con per se, but not everyone in the universe has the attention span or patience required for such things. ;)

Hell, I started a Huge Random for shits and giggles. Annoying but fun. :P
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ