Debris Field from Battles

Private development area, away from the nimwits, retards and dithering idiots.

Er, I mean, normal users. Yeah. Those guys.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Debris Field from Battles

Post by Arcalane »

I'm thinking the debris worth of a ship should be anywhere between 25% to 75% of it's full value. Debris field worth is determined by adding up all of the ships. Debris fields "naturally" decay (bits of metal tear each other apart or drift off from the main cluster) at a set rate per turn, on top of the amount wasted by salvaging, and the amount harvested by salvaging.

For example, if the decay rate is 2.5% (or 500, whichever is larger), I have a salvaging inefficiency of 2.5%, and a salvage rate of 5%, then of a 40000 PHATCASH field, the following happens;

2000 PHATCASH is added to my account from salvaging.
1000 PHATCASH-worth is lost into the void.
and
1000 PHATCASH-worth is wasted by inefficient salvaging.

The field has depleted to 36000. Next turn, I waste 900, 900 drifts off, and I earn 1800. Rinse and repeat until I find salvaging there inefficient.

Salvaging as a Research Topic is thus rather simple; you just unlock salvaging. The main focus of it is the Refinement thus has two main routes; Inefficiency, and Rate. Rate is more important if you have lots of large fields at your disposal, but Inefficiency moreso if you have low resource planets and need to waste as little as possible.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Re: Debris Field from Battles

Post by HorseMonster »

It might be useful to treat debris fields as objects within a star system and to make them functionally identical to naturally occuring Resource Fields as per the Economy Rules. If this was the case methods like those you describe should be used to determine Richness and Quality. If Debris fields are to be objects within a system they should also have their own (extremely high) Noise value. If they aren't to be independent objects then they should add to the noise of the location in which the battle they came from occured.