Turrets Rules

Private development area, away from the nimwits, retards and dithering idiots.

Er, I mean, normal users. Yeah. Those guys.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Turrets Rules

Post by Anna »

[01:56:30] <Arcalane> man, that would be crazy. If we could persuade HM to add proper turret-section support...
[01:56:40] <Arcalane> have three gigantic tribarrel Particle Beam turrets
[01:57:16] <Arcalane> now that would be "holy shit" inducing.
[01:57:27] <Squishie> Since we're working with smaller ships, I assumed that there'd be less oppurtunity to have mega composite turrets.
[01:57:45] <Arcalane> I asked HM about it before but he was all "AAAA FUCK NO GO AWAY"
[01:57:58] <Arcalane> or "if you want it you can make it yourself"
[01:58:54] <Verminator> TBH, the current size of ships doesn't really warrant it.
[01:59:14] <Anna> A 400 threat ship would be fine.
[01:59:25] <Anna> Arca: What do you mean turret-section support?
[01:59:26] <Arcalane> yeah, but who wouldn't want a tri-BFG turret?
[01:59:26] <Verminator> A 400 threat ship, sure.
[01:59:39] <Arcalane> we don't have support for multi-gun section-based turrets
[01:59:48] <Anna> I mean... what rules would need to be different for multi-gun section-based turrets?
[01:59:53] <Verminator> But most of the ships players are making right now are <200
[02:00:21] <Arcalane> well for starters we'd need to work out how to determine the rotation/etc. for them, and the HP of the sections
[02:01:09] <Anna> Base the rotation off the weapons attached to them, make it to you can only have one weapon type per turret, HP of the sections would be same as HP for any sort of section.
[02:01:13] <Anna> Fairly simple, really.
[02:01:38] <Squishie> Simple to do, a bitch to track and verify
[02:01:42] <Arcalane> heh
[02:02:25] <Squishie> But it's not like we're outright ruling them out, we'll just enable them after we master the single pew pew guns/
[02:02:39] <Arcalane> yeah, we'll figure something out eventually I guess
[02:03:09] <Arcalane> ugh we need replacement pirate ships too, I just realized the mass changes mean the current ones are illegal
[02:03:27] <Arcalane> if I keep the guns they get even more squishy, but if I don't, they're basically hilariously underarmed.
[02:03:37] <Anna> <Squishie> Simple to do, a bitch to track and verify <--- No more so than it is to track and verify regular weapons? o_O
[02:04:30] <Squishie> i have to go in, check the sections (HP) that compose the turret, check HP of the driver and individual weapons, check rotation is indeed correct, check correct stats for all child weapons +driver etc.
[02:04:39] <Verminator> Isn't that fitting for pirate ships? They just need something to intimidate merchants and maybe fend off a chase.
[02:04:51] <Anna> I mean... just say that the driver has to use a specific sprite and must be the same weapon type and have the same stats as the weapons it's driving. Treat the turret sections as normal sections (mass -> hp ratio). That's... not hard at all.
[02:05:03] <Anna> That's actually really easy.
[02:06:24] <Arcalane> I love nested subforums.
[02:06:30] <Arcalane> Verm; a bit, yeah, but still
[02:06:46] <Squishie> do it a couple hundred times and you'll change your mind. Especially when you'll find folks who wuill get it wrong completely.
[02:06:53] <Verminator> I suppose you could just make them a bit bigger to net some extra mass.
[02:06:55] <Arcalane> viewforum.php?f=50 there, moved things around a bit
[02:07:02] <Squishie> Like when I was maintaing the m1 ship list.
[02:07:35] <Anna> ... So basically, you're banning something that's really really easy to work out, because you're lazy and people are stupid?
[02:07:40] <Anna> :P
[02:08:23] <Arcalane> should be easier to pick out ship threads from the rest now, and it has the imperial tech/other stuff
[02:10:30] <Squishie> Because it's something that I don't want to deal with from the get go, and is EASILY exasperated by incompetent ship designers.
[02:10:49] <Squishie> Case point: CE's goddamn composite turrets or Melvin's shamshir from m1
[02:11:05] <Arcalane> composite turrets? shamshir?
[02:11:42] <Squishie> Not only will they apply the costs incorrectly, they'll fuck up making it too. Compositie turret is what I describe for driven sections with stiff guns
[02:11:49] <Squishie> *
[02:12:43] <Arcalane> okay so basically no different from a normal multi-section turret
[02:12:47] <Arcalane> you're just being daft again
[02:15:46] <Squishie> but COMPOSITE sounds edgy
[02:16:00] <Squishie> COMPOSITE ARMOR COMPOSITE TURRET COMPOSITE MISSILESSS
[02:16:16] <Anna> If you're very specific in the rules, and very stern, and if you say "hey fuck you, you're not allowed to use turrets" to people who fuck up in spite of the very clear, very stern rules, it'll all work out.
[02:16:27] <Anna> :D
[02:16:31] <Squishie> Noted.
[02:16:39] <Squishie> Pretty sure i'd reach that point eventually.
[02:17:11] <Anna> Srsly, if people can't follow simple instructions, then say "since this is apparently too complicated for you to follow, you're not allowed to do it".
[02:19:19] <Squishie> Can I skip straight to the 'Fuck you' if they fail for a third time?
[02:20:47] <Anna> A third time?
[02:20:56] <Anna> I'd do it if they failed once.
[02:21:01] <Anna> I'm a harsh fellow.
[02:21:33] <Squishie> I have the option of making stuff miserable for their faction, indirectly. I prefer that.
[02:22:06] <Anna> Awesome.
It's really simple really. Turrets can only use one type of weapon, because that will cut down on confusion greatly. The driver has to use the exact same stats as the weapons attached to the turret, the weapons on the turret also have their default stats, except for their arc range to 0.5, obviously. And if people fuck up in spite of these very simple rules, as Squishy seems to think they will, punish them for it.

We could also possibly take some ideas from Cheesy's suggestions, but honestly, those would probably cause more confusion.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Re: Turrets Rules

Post by Arcalane »

MOTHERFUCKIN' TOURETTES.

That aside, I think letting people buy the arc range for the turret is good. Start at 0 and buy in increments of 15. Then use the turning/range/etc. of the lowest of any installed weapons as long as that number is greater than 0. If we want to discourage excessive turret use, then enforce a reload time increase for turret-based weapons.

Turret section HP is based one of two ways;

1) Add all the weapon HPs up and divide the result evenly by the actual rotating sections of the turret.
1a) As above, but let the player choose how to divide the HP up between the sections.
2) Add all the weapon HPs up and divide the result by two, then use that number for all the rotating sections of the turret.

This does not account for any "mounting point" sections that may be used for aesthetic purposes, merely the sections that rotate.

This HP does not count against the ship's total - that is covered by the installation of the turret and it's weapons. The turret's primary weapons have their arc range reduced to 1.

The driver weapon has a minimum mass/energy charge prior to buying arc range increases, again to discourage turret abuse.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ