Ideas for faction traits

Private development area, away from the nimwits, retards and dithering idiots.

Er, I mean, normal users. Yeah. Those guys.
Verminator
Captain
Captain

Ideas for faction traits

Post by Verminator »

Elaborating on what I just said on IRC.

Here's some examples on my idea on having major traits just be magnified versions of minor ones.

So say you make a faction called the United Republic of Bumfluff.

The Bumfluff leader takes three traits, let's say:

Industrial
Militaristic
Totalitarian

Now, say the minor traits grant the following benefits:

Industrial - Your society appreciates the benefits of intensive industry.
Ship and ground unit construction is 5% cheaper and faster.

Militaristic - Your people knows the importance of a strong military.
Start with a couple of basic warships, stronger soldiers.

Totalitarian - Your government uses some cruel methods to dominate.
You gain +5% mining income, rebellions less dangerous due to military police.

However, you can evolve one of your minor traits into a Major one. The major evolutions of the above would be as follows:

Industrial Powerhouse - Your faction sees industry as an essential way of life, and places a huge focus on it, resulting in you having one of the highest production outputs around.

You make ships and units 15% faster and costs are reduced by 10%.
Your exports are valued highly, resulting in +5% to trade income.
You can force your workers on one planet to build twice as fast for a single turn, at the cost of a halved build speed for the next turn.

Military State - Your society's military is more than just warships and soldiers, it is the primary tool of control and power. You are amongst the readiest for war in the known galaxy.

You get access to more advanced ground units immediately.
You have a small but relatively powerful starting fleet of warships.
Winning victories provides major morale boosts.

Dictatorship - Your government is one of the cruellest, most brutal around, to enemy peoples and to your own, and isn't afraid to be. The result is that you are in complete control of your society. You evil bastard.

The low morale threshold for rebellions is lowered as your military police crack down on dissenters. In the case of an actual rebellion, your brutal response ensures they are less dangerous.
When taking over a new planet, you suffer no penalty from cultural differences as your new subjects are quickly brought into line.
Your mining income is 15% higher thanks to slave labour.

As you can see, evolving a stat let's people decide what they want the dominant aspect of their faction to be, and also allows access to some new mechanics in some cases. I think this will cut down on the confusion surrounding the current system and streamline it somewhat.
I have to kill fast and bullets are [i]too slow.[/i]