Speculation Thread

Discussion for the Next Big Thing, which is purely theoretical.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Speculation Thread

Post by Silverware »

Since Arca deleted my post inthe ship design, I've decided to start this thread for us to speculate over the rules behind all sorts of things. Feel free to throw any speculation into here and discuss it to your hearts content.

SENSORS
I believe the sensor modules will be used for detection of enemy fleets withing the system and possibly through nodes.
My assumption is that stars, or planets, or rather the space around them will be split into sectors, and that fleets will be able to traverse these sectors at rates dependant upon speed. That nodes will be in seperate sectors, and that stations will not be able to move from their sector.
More to this ships will probibly have a detection signature that these modules work on where sensor strength is rolled against the detection signature of the fleet, probibly a roll for each ship, rather than the total signature of the fleet.
Sensors will be able to scan as many sectors as their scan speed dictates, and each scan will provide one roll against each fleet or ship in that sector. Multipul scans in a single sector will therefore have a higher chance of detecting ships in a sector. However with multipul scans maybe they will allow ghost pings, where a ship gets detected multipul times and gets displayed multipul times making fleets appear larger than they are. Or smaller if ony a few ships get pinged.

Scout ships will be small, fast and have a low signature, and carry sensor modules, so they can track enemy positions and movement. AWACS ships will be basically large scouts with a little more protection brought into a sector and kept out of fights, scanning sectors to find weak spots.

This will also probibly allow for stealth technology to lower signature, exactly like modern stealth technology does.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Re: Speculation Thread

Post by Anna »

I would think that people who are really interested in Meta 2.0 would be better off spending their time helping those involved to sort out the rules, rather than speculating uselessly about things they'll learn about in due time.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

This is more or less how we hope sensors would work, but in order to solidify that we're still sorting out fluency of ship movement and system composition and workflow of building/moving/scanning/attacking/defending etc.

I don't think it was fair to introduce sensor module into shipbuilding without accompanying primer on how they would work. Bear with us though, because the functioning of sensors in the metagame will ultimately be decided when out-of-combat mechanics like fleet movement and systems/nodes are finalized..

Try building some dedicated sensor ships and perhaps some combat-oriented ships that have some sensor capability so that we may roughly gauge how many sensor modules we can expect in an early game fleet. Such information will help use decide on the effectiveness of sensors.

At present, speculating how things will work can only serve to confuse people and create unrealistic expectations.
Please help us by pooling your energies into testing the bread and butter of BSF by creating some test case ships using the proposed rules.
Realism, seriously? It's a space ship game. Realism was thrown out the window a long time ago.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Spaceship Design Rules v0.23

Post by Silverware »

Sensors on ships are your probes and scouts. at least from what ive pieced together and what has been confirmed, at least in part.
it seems like you will want non-combat awacs ships for the sensors, so your combat ships are free to wield better armour and arms, but remember if they go down you can't see.

Basically the premises is exactly like what war is now, communications are avaliable to all ground troops easily, comms are small. but sensors are your eye in the sky, they let you pinpoint enemies and out manuever them.

correct me if im wrong.
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Players will have a choice of including sensors (and other noncombat equipment) into the builds of their ships or making specialized vessels geared toward a particular role above all else, such as scanning.

Everything else is up in the air, and will remain so until we get some results from vigorous testing (hint hint).
Realism, seriously? It's a space ship game. Realism was thrown out the window a long time ago.