Player Outsiders

Discussion for the Next Big Thing, which is purely theoretical.

Are you planning to submit a Player Outsider Application

Yes, definitely!
21%
Maybe, I need to think about it more first.
56%
Definitely not.
24%

Total votes: 34

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Player Outsiders

Post by Arcalane »

Just a quick interest check to see how many people want to run as Player Outsiders. Remember that the requirements will be fairly strict, so be prepared to play a Post-Collapse human empire if you still want into meta2.

The requirements include justification as to why your faction is here, who they are, what they are, some examples of what their technology is like, and so on and so forth.

You may change your mind at any time. The required information need not be posted openly if you wish to keep things a secret from the others to begin with.

Ed: I selected 'Maybe', just so I don't have to keep hitting "View Results" every time.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Re: Player Outsiders

Post by HorseMonster »

It would be really great to know how many of the maybes are staff who voted that for the sake of seeing the results.

False positives suck.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

i'd like to, but i'm not certain. i'll put yes just so that tere aren't a whole load of maybes...

(perhaps if the question was "are you thinking of submitting an application for the outsider template" it would be easier to answer)
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

One of the maybes is from me, as I'm not sure if I'll even be joining the metagame, but if I do I'm leaning towards playing Outsiders.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Im A maybe, I would like to, but then I would consider myself lower on the list of priority for Outsider players, as I don't think Arcalane Likes me much =P
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

Voted for ''Yes, definantly'' , now to hope whatever I make for a bio gets approved.

ADD: I could have chosen maybe but i'd like to try outsiders first.

Edit: maybe a good idea to post up somewhat of a guideline, like what's necessary and what people could add on their own whim(so things don't get overcomplicated.)
Second Edit: I read that, I just meant something like a do and don't list, since otherwise I'd see people make things really over complicated.
Last edited by AlphaDetisMegas on Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Since ADM is a dumbshit who can't read, I'm quoting the first post;
Arcalane wrote:The requirements include justification as to why your faction is here, who they are, what they are, some examples of what their technology is like, and so on and so forth.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

i had an idea for space Gypsies where would they fit exactly as a faction? if you want more detail about the faction i will pm you

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

I have stuff drafted up but I don't mind either way.
If there are lots of people wanting to play outsiders, I won't.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Okay, some basic guidelines on what I expect from Outsider submissions:
"Biological" Description:
What are your aliens like? Are they humanoids with rubber foreheads and tentacular eyebrows, insectoids, or something weird? Go nuts. But not too nuts. Biological is in quotes because mechanical and not-necessarily-biological species are encouraged too, like sentient crystal lattices, living molten rock, and that sort of thing.

Society:
How are your people organized? Do they have a strict caste system, to the point of biological specialization? Are they all equal, perhaps even sharing an empire-wide hivemind? Are they mostly well-off, or are they all poor?

History:
How and where did your people start? Did they evolve from prey or predator animals? Aquatic? Avian? Mammal? What stages did they go through? Are there any notable events in their history like significant civil wars or encounters with other races? How did they get to the same layer of the lanespace network as Humanity and the Empire?

Technology:
What kind of technology does your faction have at it's disposal, both in short and long terms? How do you expect their technology to evolve? Are their ships standard mechanical designs, do they integrate unusual elements like crystalline growths?

Purpose:
Why are your people here in the same layer of the lanespace network as Humanity and the Empire? Conquest and Expansion? Refuge from an Enemy? Exploration? Scientific Experiment or Mishap? Adventurous Merchants?
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

perhaps it would be a good idea to separate the biological and social histories in the profile, the description of how they evolved seems to fit better with the biological description.
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

vidboi wrote:perhaps it would be a good idea to separate the biological and social histories in the profile, the description of how they evolved seems to fit better with the biological description.
They are just guidelines to follow when writing a description of your outsider faction so that you know which bases you need to have covered when you submit your concept to Arc via PM, they aren't rules for anything.

Also when sending said PM to Arc I'd appreciate it you you also sent me a BCC, it saves Arc forwaring it later.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

I'm pretty sure you'd want to CC and not BCC otherwise arc would still forward it as he didn't know it was carbon copied :P
Or, I'm terribly confused as to how blind carbon copying works.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

As a heads up the sooner you send them in the sooner we can review them and help you make a passable race. Entry requirements are pretty strict, so don't expect something you kludged together in five minutes to make the cut.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Anyone trying to use Outsider starts to justify a much higher initial techlevel are going to get bitchslapped into the stone age.

Also, you can specify multiple recipients in the To field. No need to send multiple messages.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ