Metagame 2 Encounters

Discussion for the Next Big Thing, which is purely theoretical.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Metagame 2 Encounters

Post by Bad Boy »

As far as I know, you haven't been doing this for meta 1, but I may be wrong.
Will you make the battles available as encounters? It'd be fun to replay the battles ourselves.
I'm assuming you're currently doing the fights in sandbox, in which case doing them as encounters wouldn't take up any more time or be more work. If you're doing them as encounters, then all you have to do is upload them.
I know I'd appreciate it, and I'm sure a fair few other people would as well.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

I refuse to touch the Encounter system.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Fair enough, I can understand that.
I don't suppose offering to do it for you would work either?
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

Bad Boy wrote:Fair enough, I can understand that.
I don't suppose offering to do it for you would work either?
Rather than doing that, why don't you do something much more useful, like testing the spaceship design rules.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Because I can't be arsed to do that, find someone else to be your gopher (note: upon rereading it, this sounds a lot angrier and more hostile then I intended).
Plus I don't think I've even fully read through the ruleset, and if I have I've forgotten it.
Finally, I've not done much shipmaking recently, as I'm having computer troubles with it, and I've been lacking anything akin to inspiration.
In short, sorry, maybe later (but don't get your hopes up).
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Encounters don't have enough functionality beyond supporting simple 'wave survival' scenarios.

I actually tried playing with enc files today for a meta 1 scenario. The lack of coordination support floored me.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Hmm, somehow I missed that post, sorry. Anyway, I get the point, no encounters, fair enough, I'll give up.

As for functionality, the only thing you can't do in encounter maker that you can do in sandbox is destroy ships and turn off jumping. Everything else is dooable, you just have to time it. So yes, it is all waves, but you can stagger them, and you don't have to worry about ships misfiring when you're trying to place a bunch at once.

And what do you mean by coordination? The ai for encounters is exactly the same as for sandbox, and everything important would I assume be player controlled (otherwise it's basically a video).
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Jumping has a tendency for screwing up depthing and depthed weapons. Another reason why I'd rather not have anything to do with encounters.
...I assume be player controlled...
Bad assumption. I try to interact as little as possible with combat to ensure that there is no bias due to human input, much like I frown upon intentional abuse of the flawed AI other than ECM systems.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Wow, somehow this response didn't show up either.
Anyway, Arc, your reasons are fair enough, I've never experienced the depthing problems, but I know it happens. Since it's really up to you, and you don't want to, I'll stop pressing this.
Feel free to lock this or archive it or whatever. Thanks.