Meta 2.0 Point Defenses

Discussion for the Next Big Thing, which is purely theoretical.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Meta 2.0 Point Defenses

Post by Arcalane »

Flak Cannon
Short range saturation power. You know it, you love it. Probably everyone's default PD system?

CIWS (Particle Gun)
Short-Mid range saturation of target projectiles with short bursts or long streams of either bullets, particles, or whatever.

Interception Beam
Guaranteed destruction of a single valid target, but with a slow recharge. Mid to long range. Quite high tech, reliant on beam weapon technology of course. Really good versions of this might be an artifact or outsider tech option.

Counter-Missile System (PD Rocket Mk II)
Looooong range, high precision defense, designed mostly to take out enemy missiles from long range, especially Cruise Missiles. I think I know how to fix this and actually make it work properly in intercept mode.

Missile-Detonating Flare (Modified Flaregun)
Attempts to distract missiles have ended poorly so far, but an alternate choice is to simply detonate nearby missiles - on a random chance determined by the missile's interceptability with any luck. This can be manually set to only work on certain types of missile. Long-range, and not guaranteed to work since some missiles can slip by or get lucky, but unlike most PD systems, flares can take down multiple valid targets over their lifetime.

~~

Discuss!
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

Personally I'm not a fan of the interception beam, I've always found it anti-climatic when that one heavy artillery shell gets popped out of existance in the blink of an eye. It's just not cinematic enough. :[
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Chiiro wrote:Personally I'm not a fan of the interception beam, I've always found it anti-climatic when that one heavy artillery shell gets popped out of existance in the blink of an eye. It's just not cinematic enough. :[
The PD list will probably be pretty similar to the one being used in Meta1, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. ;)
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

Arcalane wrote: The PD list will probably be pretty similar to the one being used in Meta1, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. ;)
Well, carry on then. :'D
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

What about impeders? Maybe it could not even be a usable devise but a really advanced artifact, or used on really advanced outsiders, as like a time dilation tech? It seems overpowered but isn't really once you start aiming vulcan guns at it, and looks cool.
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

jwa8402 wrote:What about impeders? Maybe it could not even be a usable devise but a really advanced artifact, or used on really advanced outsiders, as like a time dilation tech? It seems overpowered but isn't really once you start aiming vulcan guns at it, and looks cool.
and makes the game lag like hell if used en masse, like on the afore mentioned vulcan rounds.

if you want to pull something like that off, why not make something like a Flak Battery or something like triples or doubles of <(turret mounts) stops the same ammount of bullets, missiles, and has the added advantage of having no chance of allied vessels steering into the stopped rounds.
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Well you've got a point about the danger of stopped rounds, but its not like it would be a stand alone defense. Never had it affect fps at all, and something that advanced wouldn't be used en mass anyway; it would be on special alien or artifact ships. Actually had more trouble with particle gun and other projectiles/missiles disappearing if there are too many in transit.
Lloyd16
Commander
Commander

Post by Lloyd16 »

maybe we should have each form of pd be good against different things.
like the point defence beam would be good at stopping drones and the big missles, but would have trouble with smaller things, like artillery fire.
the flak cannon would be useful for missles, and maybe large amounts of artillery, but drones would have an easy-ish time avoiding them.
BiotecVirus
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Meta 2.0 Point Defenses

Post by BiotecVirus »

A very good list but maybe we could develope it futher? say 3 diffrent types of particle gun for instance, 1 which has a very high rate of fire which makes it good on hard to destroy single shots at short range but the turret is very focused making it vunrable to mass attack from a vulcan(e.g. a phalanx styled weapon), the standard particle gun (speaks for itself) and a long range slow fireing but high power version to remove large damaging shells from range.
This could also be done with the others if required.
Thoughts?
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

'cept vulcan and repeating arty shots will not be interceptable in meta2, so that's a bit pointless, no?
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
BiotecVirus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by BiotecVirus »

fair enuff, thought they would still be interceptable. Then instead of that we could have a M2 particle gun then, a specilised rapid fire, short range edition but only aquireable after some reasearch such as "nullifier speed loading" & "improved small turret speed mounts", this could be seen better than the flak gun as it is much more accurate in hitting its target.