Spaceship Design Rules v3.16

Discussion for the Next Big Thing, which is purely theoretical.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

HorseMonster wrote:
Kiltric wrote:I have a question about radius determination. Since arbitrary core placement can affect size to make ships artificially bigger/smaller in number, will there be any guidelines to stop people from fudging their size?
"Don't do that or we'll violate you with an Aralonian penisbrick ship" is the guideline for that issue. That kind of thing is cheating, and it's obvious cheating too. A ship's "size" should always be representative of its actual physical size.
Fixed. :D
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

Hmm, so to get the 'actual' size of an off-centred-core ship, would it be advised to say, move the core either forwards or backwards or whatever, until you have the smallest possible radius for that ship shape and record it and balance using that size, then reposition the core after. Or are off centred cores a big no no full stop in meta?
"Damn hippies with their slippers and mesh bags looking for "adventure" or friggin' nerds who hasn't held anything but a microscope in their girly little hands. Such posers don't last long here." - Wolf (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

I wouldn't off-center cores.
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

Well still on the centre line i mean, just not necessarily smack bang half way between the front and back of the ship.
"Damn hippies with their slippers and mesh bags looking for "adventure" or friggin' nerds who hasn't held anything but a microscope in their girly little hands. Such posers don't last long here." - Wolf (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

You can now purchase additional Arc Range and Turning for weapons.

Also, because nobody complained about the stats of weapons for a while I'm considering weapon balance to be pretty done, unless anyone has any major objections.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

Where are the HP values for the Missile Launchers and Experimental Weapons?
GATC
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by GATC »

What is the base of the High Energy Laser?
If it is the standard one, it is very weak!
If it is the mega one, it is a little more equilibrated for is size (I have test few time.)
Beware! I have a Pinkie Pie launcher!
(When I look out there, it makes me GLaD I'm not you.)
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

Either a mining beam or a beamer are fine for the High Energy Laser.
GATC
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by GATC »

Ehh...
In this case, the are weak!When I have use them first with a beamer duration = ship dead!
With the Mega-beam, it is more equilibrated (I think) because, my ship have successfully damaged the other one (before been destroyed ...), with the standard beamer, just 10% of what I have do with the mega...
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

This is opening phase tech. The beam itself is a prototype as stated in the section part, if you actually read the information presented to you, and not at all representative of what'll be seen in the mid/late stages of the game. Do take that in mind.
GATC
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by GATC »

What do you think of use a system of "ship controller" type?
I think it is not clear, so a explain my idea.

My idea is to chose what is the system who control the ship. All system have advantage and drawback.

Some example:

Organic crew.
Adv: No drawback
Dra: No advantage

Automatised ship
Adv: +5% turning speed for ship, +5% turning speed for turret, -5% deviation for turret.
Dra: -10% of Mass Allowance if direct controlled. -5% of Mass Allowance if distance controlled (A ship control other, if this ship die, other die...)

Organic ship
Adv: Auto-regen, +10% of Mass Allowance
Dra: Armour cost 1.2 point.

What did you think?
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

I'd think that different methods of ship control would be technologies that are researched later on, or available for starting only as Outsiders.

I don't really see humans making both crewed, automated and organic ships to begin with... (or any group using more than two of those at most)
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

In b4 gigantic rant about inefficiency of organic ships. :P

In any case, this was considered at one point already, but right now, we should be focusing on the basics, rather than succumbing to feature creep.
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

Those are completely reasonable, but I personally think they'd be better off handled as part of the technology tree or on faction templates (whichever is more appropriate) than as part of the ship design rules.
Last edited by HorseMonster on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

Plus it woud make for great background political debate. We have the option to develop AI controlled ships instead of sending our troops to die, but do we really trust the tech enough to give up that type of power? We can(eventually) reverse engineer organic ships, but it means using alien tech, perhaps requiring 'modifications' to interface with it. Humanity is nothing is not xenophobic :P Maybe irrelevant for right now but I very much enjoyed reading the roleplaying for the first metagame.