Spaceship Design Rules v3.16

Discussion for the Next Big Thing, which is purely theoretical.
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Re: Spaceship Design Rules v0.23

Post by HorseMonster »

HorseMonster wrote: Autocannon (Autocannon)
Turning: 2
Deviation: 1.5
Range: 700
Damage: 20
Bullet Speed: 18
Submunition Damage: 0
Arc Range: 60
Fire Rate: 20
Clip Size: 3
Reload: 100
Hit Points: 100
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

the ship size is taken from the core centred and the i moved it so the size is comparative to the actual sip size.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

vidboi wrote:just wondering wih autocannon should they have submunitions? you haven't mentioned them so currently i've left mine as the default

EDIT: what kind of classes will ships be divided into? the eminence is (by my standards) a frigate, but then my ships tend to be quite large, and i was wondering how the sizes will be divided in the actual game to give a sense of comparison
Ships won't be divided into pre-determined classes, it will be up to individual factions to decide how they want to classify ships.

Preacher: It still isn't cool.

Also the mass of weapons has been significantly increased to combat the tendancy of ships to be fitted with loads and loads of guns.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

vidboi wrote:just wondering wih autocannon should they have submunitions? you haven't mentioned them so currently i've left mine as the default
Autocannons should not have submunitions, as they basically double the damage output.
vidboi wrote:EDIT: what kind of classes will ships be divided into? the eminence is (by my standards) a frigate, but then my ships tend to be quite large, and i was wondering how the sizes will be divided in the actual game to give a sense of comparison
This time around, I think designations will be entirely up to the players rather than any enforced system like meta1. If you want to call your 200-size ship a frigate, you're more than welcome to, but actual size will be more important than designation, ultimately.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

I don't understand why this is a bad thing the ship size is legal the core has just been moved back for protection.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

ok, my mistake about the autocannon

about the classes, i was more thinking of starting fleets and what they would contain, but i guess this would be done by mass

updated the frigate:
IFNS Eminence (meta2 test).shp
(14.42 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
@preacher: i guess what you're trying to say is that you used the minimum size from the centre to do all calculations. you should make that clear if it's true
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

i did then i moved the core after i wrote down minimum size so my calculations are accurate.

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Regardless, it is not allowed. Do I have to spell this out in fifty foot high flashing neon letters for you to comprehend it? If you fail to abide by this terribly simple rule then you will not be allowed to join the game, and your ships are not accurate for testing.

Is that clear enough for your tiny mind?
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

If it was mentioned in the rules then maybe it would be clear enough for my tiny mind, unfortunately I didn't realise that not including it in the rules and then saying its against them is how the rules work, there is nothing about moving the core other than offsetting it, only about moving the core to fudge the size which I didn't do.

Rugdumph wrote: Well still on the centre line i mean, just not necessarily smack bang half way between the front and back of the ship.

This was never answered and is basically what I have done, my ship size is still exactly the same size as the actual ship so I haven't placed extra weapons on it or anything its fully legal as far as the current rules go. This ship is exactly the same actual size and ship size as anyone else's ship but the movement of the core gives the impression that I've made it bigger in the shipmaker because that what the circle shows, but I haven't, to check this you could simply select the core and centre it to check my ship size. Am I being thick or is this pretty simple to comprehend.

However if it is now against the rules (which currently it isn't) I will change my core placement which ultimately changes nothing whatsoever on my ship other than where the core is located on the centre line.
Last edited by Preacher on Tue May 18, 2010 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Okay, you know what? Get out. Get the fuck out of this forum. I do not want to see you posting here again. You have repeatedly been told it is against the rules. Do not play rules-lawyering-bitch with me.

That is final.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

ok, two more variations on the same hull to experiment with variations in firepower:
IFNS Eloquence (meta2 test).shp
(15.13 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
IFNS Essence (meta2 test).shp
(16.78 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
the ships with more weaponry always win one on one, however the used mass is higher so it may not be an entirely even matching
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

Ok finally did something to help test out these new rules. It's quite nice to build with purpose for a change, anyway the ship.

Radius just under 115
4 autocannons
2 heavy autocannons
2 vulcans
and 1 repeating artillery

Standard engine and core

8500 section hp

One question though, with the engine thruster module, should i set it to lose all accel., speed, and turning, or just most of it so it doesn't pinball but pretty much cripples it to immobile. I've assumed the later at the moment, easy change if i'm wrong. By the way i think the rules so far are pretty much spot on, pitted three of these against vidboi's lot, of course i didn't stand a chance, but the battle with that much lead flying was pretty entertaining, most enjoyment when seeing one of my ships saved by it's front armour so it does work! Oh and the core is smack bang in the middle too :wink:
Last edited by Rugdumph on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Damn hippies with their slippers and mesh bags looking for "adventure" or friggin' nerds who hasn't held anything but a microscope in their girly little hands. Such posers don't last long here." - Wolf (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

lol nice. flying lead is fun much, although my ships are a lot larger, so a better match would be more like 2 vs 3

two things:

a) for turrets with multple weapons. i'm assuming that the same rules as sections representing thrusters apply to: they have the same health as the weapons and do not contribute to section hp total

b) are moving sections of a ship legal? if they are would they cost anything? for example, i'm planning on making an armoured vessel with armour plates on arms that move towards the enemy to block incoming projectiles
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

vidboi wrote:a) for turrets with multple weapons. i'm assuming that the same rules as sections representing thrusters apply to: they have the same health as the weapons and do not contribute to section hp total
We don't have support for turret-sections right now, so it's best if you don't use them.
vidboi wrote:b) are moving sections of a ship legal? if they are would they cost anything? for example, i'm planning on making an armoured vessel with armour plates on arms that move towards the enemy to block incoming projectiles
The Empire didn't have that kind of technology, neither do you. In other words, no, you may not use moving/rotating sections unless their movement/rotation is purely cosmetic.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

Rugdumph wrote:One question though, with the engine thruster module, should i set it to lose all accel., speed, and turning, or just most of it so it doesn't pinball but pretty much cripples it to immobile. I've assumed the later at the moment, easy change if i'm wrong. By the way i think the rules so far are pretty much spot on, pitted three of these against vidboi's lot, of course i didn't stand a chance, but the battle with that much lead flying was pretty entertaining, most enjoyment when seeing one of my ships saved by it's front armour so it does work! Oh and the core is smack bang in the middle too :wink:
I think making the ship completely immobile would probably be overdoing it, but the ammount of performance lost should be proportional to the output of the particular engine that was destroyed.