Spaceship Design Rules v3.16

Discussion for the Next Big Thing, which is purely theoretical.
hazelwooder
Commander
Commander

Post by hazelwooder »

perhaps ships over a certain size could use what ever core they want and an extra standard core on top of that. it would make sense that very large ships would have a backup core.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4816][img]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/8121/signatureav.jpg[/img][/url]
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

Ships having multiple power cores was talked about on IRC some considerable time ago and the conclusion that we reached is that it probably will be possible for ships to have multiple cores, but order to be able to build ships with multiple cores you will first have to complete some research.

Limiting a ship to one core is a good way of keeping ships to reasonable sizes early on and makes balancing cores easier. For now, stick to one core.
Cynsye
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Cynsye »

Built an HAC spam ship the same size as the Canon GATC, and its about 80% loss for the Canon.. the arc that the missiles fire in seriously screws over my side armour, but the fact that all of your launchers are attached to a single sprite means when the AI is trying to get through to the core it invariably knocks it out. If you spread them out, or put them closer to the back I think that it would probably skew the other way by quite a bit.. missiles are so damaging when they can hit less armoured areas around the sides.

Looking at the way the missiles move though, I think the heavy missiles may track a little too well, as when both ships are nose to nose they can still hit the forward-most parts of the other ship easily.

EDIT: thinking on it though, they will generally only hit the front of the opposing ship when firing at range, so their lower DPS:power & mass ratios will kick in and make them less effective. Wouldn't really have thought they'd be better at short range.

(trying to fit 45 Heavy Autocannons onto a single ship was a pain :P )
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

I fiddled around with lots of different things recently, in particular I halved the stats and costs of assist engines. So I'm incrementing the version number, I advise that people should make sure their ships are still compliant with the rules.
Jafo
Captain
Captain

Post by Jafo »

In addition to the above, HorseMonster's changes in detail - the High Energy Laser had two additions ( Turning & Duration ) and one change ( Initial Deviation ).
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

I noticed that those were absent and fixed it, but I didn't actually expect for anyone to seriously be making ships using that weapon.
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

I've messed around with weapon stats and costs fairly extensively, testers should review the first post to make sure that the ships they are testing are compliant.

Please give your thoughts on the changes.
Nachus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Nachus »

I've made Excel Spreadsheets for these rules, current as of 2-28-2010 at 5:50 pm pacific time.
This is for Excel 2007
This is for Excel 97-2003
Jafo
Captain
Captain

Post by Jafo »

Nachus wrote:I've made Excel Spreadsheets for these rules, current as of 2-28-2010 at 5:50 pm pacific time.
This is for Excel 2007
This is for Excel 97-2003
Thanks for making these available.

A warning to anybody interested in downloading these - the host requires your e-mail address to which it sends a download link. To avoid giving your real email address out (spam avoidance) consider using a temporary email service (eg. Mailinator http://www.mailinator.com/index.jsp ).
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Monsieur Beamspam
Radius: 120
AI: Flanking 350
Description: Thin, noodly ship with armor focused up front, weapons near the core

Mass:
+4505 (ultra-heavy power core)
+1400*2=2800 (standard engine)
+500*6=3000 (high energy laser)
+3895 (section HP)
=14400/14400

Power:
+450*2=900 (standard engine)
+180*6=1080 (high energy laser)
=1980/2155

Speed:
14060*2/14400=1.95
Acceleration:
335*2/14400=0.04
Turning:
5215*2/14400=0.72

I tested it out against GATC's Croiseur Point D'Acier (after fixing its repeating artillery). It took a while, but Monsieur Beamspam eventually whittled it down into a weaponless husk. Victoryyyyyy.
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

You made a large ship armed only with high energy lasers?

Uhh... okay. Put it up for download?
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Yeah, here you go.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/Monsieur_Beamspam.sb4

Might I suggest adding a few heavier power cores? As it is, there isn't exactly much to aspire to...
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

I've said it before and I'll say it again; this is the starting technology. There will be plenty of opportunities to research bigger and better power cores.

There will also be research opportunities that allow you to fit multiple cores on your ship, so you could have a quad core setup, so to speak. ;)

Larger cores will probably be more efficient for this, though.
Last edited by Arcalane on Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Jafo
Captain
Captain

Post by Jafo »

For those that have designs that need to be reworked...Updates I have noted :

Engine added - Ultra-light

Weapon arc range - now has a reduced arc bonus.

Missile Launcher - dmg now = 40
Heavy Missile Array - range now = 1100, dmg now = 50
High Energy Laser - duration now = 60

New Engine/Thruster rules in Step 4

I think I caught all of them.
Rodgun
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Rodgun »

Hey guys, I'd just like to contribute an idea for aesthetics only.
Maybe it'd be too much trouble when making a ship, or maybe it won't. How about when making the ships, change the core to represent the type of core you're using.

Civi Core: Ultra-Light
Small Core: Light
Normal Core: Standard
Alien Core: Heavy
Station Core: Ultra-Heavy

However, if each person will use different sprites over the core to represent it, ignore this.