Spaceship Design Rules v3.16

Discussion for the Next Big Thing, which is purely theoretical.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Meta 2.0 feels like it would most likely be Humans vs. Humans with less interaction with alien races than the current Meta.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Indeed. Really weird stuff will be alien-tech-only, assuming there are any.

In any case, focus. This topic is about testing the ship design system, so let's keep it to that, hmmm? Don't make me have to start deleting posts. :|
GATC
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by GATC »

So!
What is better to test the rule than make ship destroy other ship?
I have a little fleet ready for the test, but I can't test it well alone, because I think it is better to test with other people ship.
Dyjeccu can you upload the ship you have used for your test? I upload mine.

http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... t_GATC.rar
http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... GATC_2.rar

P.S. What is B4?
P.P.S. I have forget to put the size of the ship in the .RAR so...
Pavois: 145
Point D'Acier: 145
Sabre: 145
Fleau D'Arme: 185 (Not the good beamer)
Masse D'Arme: 185
Canon: 215
Little ship? What it is?

Edit: With the sb4 file in the second link.
Last edited by GATC on Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beware! I have a Pinkie Pie launcher!
(When I look out there, it makes me GLaD I'm not you.)
Ggngunner
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Ggngunner »

Been testining your ships and they're going well.. I'm not sure, cause I don't have the sort of schmatic sorta thingngy, which tends to help in the processing of stuff.
Adding this or the ship sb4 file (which can be reverse made) can greatly help when you're gauging the difference between ratios of armor and whatnot.
This sort of thing does help, cause right now some of the ships stats are harder to derive than others
Fer example:
TS-110
Type-1
Allowed mass: 12100

Core: Standard 2265
Engines: 1 Small 900,
1 Normal 1400
1 Spd.Ast.600
All Ion.
Thrust Pwr:
-Speed: 25560
-Turning: 9215
-Accel: 610
Remaining mass 12100 - 5165, 6935
Remaining Energy 1165 -940, 225

Dedicated to Parts: 4350
HP: 4350
Spread: Equal

Dedicated to Weapons: Energy 225, Mass 1180
3 Autocannons ( Centre Deck Port 8:00, Centre Deck Starboard 4:00,Stern gun 6:00)
3 Heavy autocannon (Bowgun 12:00,semi Bow Port 11:00, semi Bow Starboard 1:00,)
1 Repeating Art. (Centre Deck 12:00)

Remaining Mass: 1405
Remaining Energy: 0
Speed: 22560/10695=2.11
Turning: 9215/10695 =0.86
Accleration: 610/10695 =0.06
(I'd upload the ship that this one belongs to later)
Cynsye
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Cynsye »

I've been messing around with the small end of the scale, and it looks like with the current selection of power/engines the smallest supported ship is size 43, as at 40 you get 100 mass to play with, and below you can't physically fit them on. I guess that's the realm of fighters though :D, and have to say.. at that mass they are fast and super maneuverable, they will run rings around larger ships. Managed to squish 3 autocannons onto this, though a fourth is possible with paper armour.
And its an irritation that needs something with Vulcans/Missiles to kill it atm.

Definitely liking this set of design rules, easier to work through.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Just remember these will be run by the AI, so that while a fast ship is great when run by a player... we all know how poorly the AI does in combat.
So these small ships will mostly be used for cheap low cost ships in my opinion.
Cynsye
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Cynsye »

Silverware wrote:Just remember these will be run by the AI, so that while a fast ship is great when run by a player... we all know how poorly the AI does in combat.
So these small ships will mostly be used for cheap low cost ships in my opinion.
Yeah, I guess so. The AI is pretty stupid :D . I have found though that it does have a habit of sitting behind slower ships when I've tested it, which tends to not then be able to kill it alone.

I've been looking through those ships GATC, and most of them have some hull sections that have "Def" as their HP, they shouldn't have that should they?
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

You're right, no sections on a ship should ever have default HP under these rules.

Also, if you are worried about light ships messing your shit up try buying a vulcan and increasing it's arc range and turn speed.
Cynsye
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Cynsye »

HorseMonster wrote:You're right, no sections on a ship should ever have default HP under these rules.

Also, if you are worried about light ships messing your shit up try buying a vulcan and increasing it's arc range and turn speed.
I will likely do this for my "brawler" type ships that like to get stuck in.. but long range platforms will have to do without heh. That's what other ships are for.

I'm quite liking the weapons, their mass-power-damage ratios seem about right, though I would have to do research into beam/drones before they become a primary weapon type, which i guess is the idea.
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

Just a note, I adjusted the speed outpout of heavy engines so that very large (size 200+) ships will still have some mobility.
GATC
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by GATC »

The DEF value doesn't make problem, If you look at the "Ship Summary", you will see that, they have exactly the max armour available (+800 of the core).

*Cynsye: does your "brawler" destroy the "Canon" class ship?
Beware! I have a Pinkie Pie launcher!
(When I look out there, it makes me GLaD I'm not you.)
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

I fixed/changed the cost of increasing turning and arc range. Arc range had a typo that made a 10 degree increase in arc range cost 20% of a weapon's mass, which was insane because giving a weapon with a standard 45 degree arc range a 180 degree arc range would increase a weapon's cost by 280% which is far too much.
Cynsye
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Cynsye »

GATC wrote:The DEF value doesn't make problem, If you look at the "Ship Summary", you will see that, they have exactly the max armour available (+800 of the core).

*Cynsye: does your "brawler" destroy the "Canon" class ship?
Ah, fair enough.

I'm a bit busy with a dissertation at the moment, so I'll get back to you on that one :P .

Oh.. whilst I remember, can you put more than one engine module on a single ship?
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

Yes, you can have as many engine modules as you like, in fact very large ships require more than one engine in order to have reasonable mobility stats.
Cynsye
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Cynsye »

HorseMonster wrote:Yes, you can have as many engine modules as you like, in fact very large ships require more than one engine in order to have reasonable mobility stats.
I think you may need to create some more larger power cores then, as it severely limits the ability of very large ships to actually move and be able to deal out the damage which would be indicated by its size. You can, in fact get out-gunned by smaller craft using the same size power core and smaller, or less, engines. Though you are significantly more survivable. Perhaps lay down limits on minimum size required by power cores, as well? Though this will limit creativity. Could make mass req's, HP and power output of the power plant a function of the size of the ship or mass maximum maybe?