Spaceship Design Rules v3.16

Discussion for the Next Big Thing, which is purely theoretical.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Re: Spaceship Design Rules v0.23

Post by vidboi »

Arcalane wrote:Civilian power core and engine modules have been posted, for those of you wishing to make your own civvie ships.

I recommend using an ultra-light power core with 2-3 civilian engines and 2000-3000 used mass respectively. Sections should have about 50 HP each. You should be able to afford a couple of light weapons, but otherwise, civilian ships should be lightly armed, lightly armoured, and slow - not, you know, passable warships.
are the civilian engine meant to use 200 power each? that seems an awful lot compared to other engines, although i'm guessing its so you can't have a whole load of weapons on a freighter
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Uh, that's only 40 more than the Ultra-Light. Everything bar the Assists uses a lot more.

But yes, it's that way to discourage weapon use on civilian ships.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

The new civillian cores make it possible to make some really small ships.
Attachments
Calv MG2 drone.shp
(1.73 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

for their stats the civilian engines suck but hey, they're civilian

made a stealthy sensor shippy thingy that sticksout like a really sore thumb
Attachments
IFNS Esquire (meta2 test).shp
(12.57 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
SMscreen042.png
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

vidboi wrote:for their stats the civilian engines suck but hey, they're civilian
I do keep saying that they're supposed to suck. What part of that is so hard to comprehend? :P
vidboi wrote:made a stealthy sensor shippy thingy that sticksout like a really sore thumb

*superglow*
...ew. That's just bad. Don't do that, please.

~~

Please remember to include custom sprites in your downloads, especially if you're using obscure files, like my animated version of Svn's autocannon;

Right-click, save as, and store it with the rest of Svn's SW weapons.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

what i meant to say is that for their cost they suck and you can only really fit one on a civilian core vessel

and the glow, okay i won't do it any more... does stick out a fair bit though, and sore thumbs tend to look pretty bad xD

talking of custom sections is there a download anywhere for starstruck's? can't seem to find them
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

vidboi wrote:what i meant to say is that for their cost they suck and you can only really fit one on a civilian core vessel
What part of they are meant to suck is not getting through to you? How many times must I tell you that they are supposed to be bad?

And yes, I know the Civilian Core can't support more than one. I will probably bump it's power output up to 400 and reduce the civ engine power use to 175, so you can manage two of them and some very light armaments.

I might make a bigger Civilian Core and some beefier Civilian Engines too, for heavy freighters. Do take note that if you pump up the armour and armaments too far then you're running into military or paramilitary territory, and are better off using it as a troop transport (troop modules coming later) or something. The purpose of civilian ships is to be cheap and easy to manufacture - you don't actually have to build these things, but it'll be important to have and use them for certain ingame events.

And no, they will not be size/output efficient compared to the other engines. They're civilian models. :P
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Okay, in flagrant violation of the rules I am doubleposting, and I'm admin so I can get away with it. So there.

Anyway, onto the serious business;

There are now restrictions on the civilian engines and power cores that limit how they can be used/employed. Additionally, the standard civitech engine has had it's power use reduced by 12.5% - and the standard power core's output has been boosted by 1/3rd.

Rule of thumb, though; the moment you use a non-Civilian Power Core or non-Civilian Engine on a supposedly Civilian ship, you are wandering dangerously close to Potentially Military territory.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

You could make Civi stuff have two power outputs, one really tiny one for military stuff, and one larger output for civilian stuff, but that can ONLY be for civilian marked things...

Or not, but you know w/e.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

or there could just be official regulations on how much weaponry you can have on a civilian vessel... seems simpler than having two power outputs to deal with
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Silveware wrote:You could make Civi stuff have two power outputs, one really tiny one for military stuff, and one larger output for civilian stuff, but that can ONLY be for civilian marked things...

Or not, but you know w/e.
I'm going to go with the or not 'cause you're an idiot and that's overcomplicated.
vidboi wrote:or there could just be official regulations on how much weaponry you can have on a civilian vessel... seems simpler than having two power outputs to deal with
...which would be what I'm doing already, basically. The regulation is that only 100 power from the cores can be devoted to weaponry. The rest goes to engines. Is this really that hard for you guys to figure out?
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
InsaneCat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by InsaneCat »

We could put a arms weight limitation on ships, to prevent weapon SPAM.
"Though I charge through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am driving a house-sized mass of "fuck you."
"HURRR?"
AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

InsaneCat wrote:We could put a arms weight limitation on ships, to prevent weapon SPAM.
The amount of weapons a ship can carry is already limited by Mass and Energy, so I don't think another limit is really needed. Anyway, I imagine Arc and/or others will still be reviewing ships before they're green-lighted so if a design does stretch the limits of the rules it won't be approved.
Last edited by AidanAdv on Sat May 29, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The walls have eyes: the shadows we throw are the shadows we try to throw off.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

InsaneCat wrote:We could put a arms weight limitation on ships, to prevent weapon SPAM.
Or we could, y'know, not. Because we have to check enough things already.

What is it with you people and coming in here to make stupid suggestions?
AidanAdv wrote:The amount of weapons a ship can carry is already limited by Mass and Energy, so I don't think another limit is really needed. Anyway, I imagine Arc and/or others will still be reviewing ships before they're green-lighted so if a design does stretch the limits of the rules it won't be approved.
Indeed! And we have half a dozen staffers this time around, so it's not just up to me to check these things.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

AidanAdv wrote:EDIT: Since I posted I might as well add my little ship.

Deimos class MKI
Core Placement - Because Preacher is a fucking retard
The Core must be placed in the 'center' of the ship, so that a ship's size is representative of it's actual size. That means the core may not be shifted back, forwards, or to either side of the dead center of the ship.

There are no exceptions to this rule.
Might wanna keep that rule in mind, Aidan.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.