Maps for Individual Star Systems

Discussion for the Next Big Thing, which is purely theoretical.
AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Maps for Individual Star Systems

Post by AidanAdv »

One of the things that seems to have annoyed the Admiralty in M 1.0 was the lack of maps for individual star system. I'm assuming M 2.0 would use a map similar to the one in the current Metagame, showing star systems and their Phase Lane connections since that's the system Arc has stuck to since he first started working on Galactic Conquest.

The lack of system maps severely crippled the ability of Admirals to give their forces tactical commands. I suggest we use come up with some kind of simple hex-grid template for each star system that we could add icons for planets, fleets, and structures to. This would allow commanders to use scouts, more effectively manage fleet divisions, and strategically place defenses and other structures like shipyards or mining stations.

Just my 2 cents when it comes to maps.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

A hex grid would be nice but I'd be happy with a normal grid, really.
Just something so that encounters aren't just random and all...

Even with instantaneous jumping between locations, it's still critical to have a supply line from the lane entry to resupply, etc etc.
Verminator
Captain
Captain

Post by Verminator »

If people could just know what's where, that would make things a thousand times better. The type of grid isn't important.
I have to kill fast and bullets are [i]too slow.[/i]
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

also, being able to provide/ receive information about what's going on besides "that goes... thereishkindainthatgeneraldirectionorso!" would be extremely helpful/ useful. A grid would probably also allow for "real" (if you will) scouting and maneuvering, at least in an out of battle way (for example, playing "keepaway" with your command fleet)
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

This could also be useful for pirate factions who might be able to raid trade lines and hide their small raiding fleets in asteroid belts and such.
It would be interesting to bring in.
Pirate_Che
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Pirate_Che »

Definitively agree with all the above reasons for making maps of ever system. We could all pitch in and make maps using a standard sprite set (we could gimp the sprites from the SoSE map maker and its mods) or maybe one of the forum's code monkeys could make a system generator.
<center>[i]"This is Cadia, you silly fool! Cadia! Right on the doorway of Chaos! Right in the heart of everything! The seepage of evil is so great, I have a hundred active cults to subdue every month! This place breeds recidivists like a pond breeds scum. This is Cadia! This is the Gate of the Eye! This is where the bloody work of the Inquisition is done!"[/i]<center>
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

I like the idea of ripping the sprites from SoaSE/mods :P
Pirate_Che
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Pirate_Che »

Droid wrote:I like the idea of ripping the sprites from SoaSE/mods :P
They wouldn't be from the actual game, but from Galaxy Forge and the mod for it Deadly Forge.

And because I was bored I made an example map in MS Paint using a Hexgrid I made using the NBOS Fractal RPG Mapmaker.
Any actual map would probably need some symbols above planets/mines/fleets indicating population, industry, loyalty/output, loyalty/strength, ownership.
<center>[i]"This is Cadia, you silly fool! Cadia! Right on the doorway of Chaos! Right in the heart of everything! The seepage of evil is so great, I have a hundred active cults to subdue every month! This place breeds recidivists like a pond breeds scum. This is Cadia! This is the Gate of the Eye! This is where the bloody work of the Inquisition is done!"[/i]<center>
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Yeah. Ripped from GalaxForge with Distant Stars, right? Well...I have that and it has the same "military planet" sprite you used for "The Bastion".
That map looks good :P
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Wow ya it does look good! And if you dropped it into something like photoshop that can handle layers(heck even shipmaker if your lazy) the leadership could just move the 'fleets' around easily for updated positions. Unless you guys had a program in mind that could handle all this.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

i could wack something simmilar up in GM and have an exe avaliable, it would require just a little work from a game ive left half developed in it.
And it can do rotation of planets and all.

but even with out that, setting up a basic map producer and saver would be rather easy.
Rikkie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rikkie »

I've been working on my own for some time, here's what I suggest for this (The idea is most likely from Freelancer):

I think the star system map needs some color, grouping and a background like this one:
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/3638/ownstarmap.png
(Dotted lines mean that it isn't seen on sensors unless found)

And system maps like these. (Freelancer style) But I do like Pirate_Che's idea.
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/6272 ... mpgate.png
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/3554/002istierra.png
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5218/012atarus.png
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/8641/013iqua1.png

The images aren't put in IMG tags since they're big.
Omicron
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Omicron »

Some are nice but some look repetitive and uglyish
The star system map looks like a spruced up version of the old one with more systems and a nice background. Anyone else notice Omicron region positioned in the top left?
But the system maps are repetitive with the asteroids and make it hard to see things.
However they have potential to be nice if there weren't any systems 100% asteroid covered or if the asteroid sprite was changed
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Rikkie, no offense, but those are really hard to see, and are fairly ugly.
Too much "noise" (as in, random, useless information floating all around). Especially those random "rocks" strewn everywhere.

I believe that coloring the individual systems are enough to denote which areas belong to who. The backgrounds make it REALLY hard to see the system names.

Stick with the plain black background. I don't want to lose my eyesight over this.
Rikkie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rikkie »

I was just suggesting, and I used the freelancer asteroid sprite. I as well got some feedback of these, so thanks, now I know what to work on these.