Maps for Individual Star Systems

Discussion for the Next Big Thing, which is purely theoretical.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Well, if they're cleaned up they're useable, but I'm just pointing out it's quite cluttered and messy.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Seeing as we are using a Jump Drive of a sort, why not factor limitations into that.
Such as they cannot jump to any random place, but only to either a lagrange point or just to a large mass, or moon size or higher.
This would mean that many areas of the systems would be unavailable, we could work around this for belts by saying that the combined mass of the asteroids leads to a jump point forming as well.

So we would have sectors around planets and moons, meaning that in the Sol System (Ours) in the first four planets we would have. In Order.

Mercury Sector
Venus Sector
Earth Sector
Luna Sector (The Moon)
Mars Sector

and possibly
Phobos Sector
Demos Sector

This would allow for many combat areas, and each would behave similar to a system. Meaning that factions would have alot more to fight over and turns could represent a week and still mean that it takes a fair while to conquer any place.

There could be further limitations on early Jump Drives meaning that you could only jump to an adjacent jump point/sector.

So from Luna to Earth to Mars to Demos

The next Generation of them could do two steps in one jump.
Ie Mercury to Earth to Demos.

This would give something to work for in the jump system sciences and also allow for alot of tactical engagements in a single system.
Pirate_Che
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Pirate_Che »

Rikkie, I'm sorry but I'm with everybody else when it comes to your maps. The asteroids everywhere and the background color on the main map makes them look really cluttered.

Also, I just remembered, GalCivII also has some sprites we could use for denoting fleets/structure.
These are some of them, they're transparent so you probably can't see them that well, but you should get the idea.
<center>[i]"This is Cadia, you silly fool! Cadia! Right on the doorway of Chaos! Right in the heart of everything! The seepage of evil is so great, I have a hundred active cults to subdue every month! This place breeds recidivists like a pond breeds scum. This is Cadia! This is the Gate of the Eye! This is where the bloody work of the Inquisition is done!"[/i]<center>
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

For fleet jumping in-system, I was thinking something like...

-You may only jump if you are adjacent to an object (be it a node, asteroid field, planet...anything)
-You may jump to any square on the grid except any grid directly adjacent to an object (or maybe two sectors away from an object?)

This emphasizes the importance of holding the space near objects, and makes it so that you can't chain jumps rapidly.

Of course, you could have a few upgrades that increase where you can jump from, and increase where you can jump to, by increasing jump-from radius, and decreasing jump-to limiting areas.

Perhaps we should start off with no intrasystem jump drives at all.