Some developement ideas

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Barnack
Ensign
Ensign

Some developement ideas

Post by Barnack »

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, but not so new to the game, and i've a lot of experience with game maker (i use 8.1 - i don't like GameMaker Studio :D - ).
I'd like to expose some ideas that can be added to the game BattleShips Forever:

-Energy Engine:
The energy for this engine should increase even while it's used, and at game's start it should be filled. In the ship-maker, the Energy Engine should be parented to as many targets as you

want (weapons or engines). Obviously, in both weapons and engines specifics there should be a box where you can tell the game that it takes energy from an Energy Engine, so that this

weapon/engine will NOT produce energy itself. Weapons should have then a maximum energy cap and an energy consuption per clip.
If the told box isn't checked, everything works as normal (not energy for weapons, and self-produced energy for engines)
The Energy engine should give to each of the targets a defined amount of energy per frame (amount that you can change in the shipmaker) till the target is full, and should have a

production per frame egual to def=2*(amount of targets) - or can be set in the shipmaker obviously.
This will open to a lot of new chances:
Ships based on a main generator, that when destroyed will be defenseless, other ships with a generator for each turret. When a battle stands longer firerate will slow down and shields

work less...
Would be useful a menu of the Energy engine (when you select it obviously), where you can chose if give normal(1*), more(2*) or no energy(0*) to every target.
EG:
Energy engine connected to
laser beam (1energy per frame)
laser beam(1epf)
shield(2epf)

i can set
laserbeam: no (0epf)
laserbeam:normal (1epf)
shield: more (2*2epf)

by this way i enshure that till EE has energy to give, my shield will work longer, because one laserbeam isn't taking energy from the EE.

-Ships points and RMplay (random map)
Who makes a ships, should have the chance to set this ship value / or in alternative, the game should give each ship a value based on something like:
(hp/10)+2MaxSpeed+2RotationSpeed+(Weap1damge+Weap1clipsizeORduration+(Weap1range/64)-Weap1rechargetime)+(procede with other weapons)+(some preset values for

engines)-(2*amount of thrusters)
Then in game menù, should be available the choice RMplay, where you can load ships of yours (will be showed a list with ships pictures and stats on the screen), see the total points

used , and then click on the "next" button.
In the next room player should have different buttons to set some map characteristics:

Map Size
Small(the standard scale) - Medium(2*standard) - Large(3*standard)

Asteroid fields:
amount: No(0) - Few(1*map scale) - Normal(2*map scale) - many (3*map scale)
move?: static - slow - normal - fast (this will be a serious danger for ships)

Planets
amount: No(0) - Few(0.5*map scale) - Normal(1*map scale) - many (1.5*map scale)
(x.5 means 50%chances to have x, and 50%chances to have x+1)

Background:
No - poor - rich
(this adds Sun and every kind of background things)

Difficulty:
symple - normal - hard (that sets how many points enemy ships will have totally depending on yours)

Game Style:

Destroy the base:
2 starbases will be generated in corners of the map. Wins who first destroy enemy starbase. Some power-ups will generate in your base one ship of a random type chosen between the

ones you have chosen at game start (that works for the enemy too)

KillAll:
just kill every enemy ship.

With the "start" button the game now generates the room following gamer's settings, and will give to the enemy some ships randomly chosen from "custom ships" folder and from the

game standard ones (however with the objective of having almost your same score, 1.5*your score if hard, 0.75* your score if symple), then the battle will begin.

Last thing:
-FleetMaker
With this new .exe program player will be able to create a fleet file. You will import as many ships as you want, you'll see a list with names of imported ships, and for every ship you can

chose a class:
defender
attacker
starbase (only ships with 0speed)
mainbase (only ships with 0speed)

You will then save a file that contains infos of all ships of the fleet.
Obviously you should be able to delete ships form a fleet, as well as export them.

The fleet maker will make the RMplay better. In fact player will create fleets, then in RMplay, in place than chosing your ships while ai randomly choses them, you can simply load a

fleet file for you and one for the enemy. (making RMplay developement a lot faster, cause the ai score ships chose was the most difficult thing to do, i think)
In destroy the base mod, you will have one mainbase for player on the opposite corners, and the player who's mainbase costs less point, if there's a starbase in the fleet file, will have a

starbase not too far from the mainbase. Then from mainbase you can produce every ship of the fleetfile chosen, but higher ship's score means higher time needed to build.
In the RMplay mode you should then add "building speed".
It's a multiplyer:
slow(120) - normal (60) - fast (30)
e.g.:
Aurora value's 100pt, game is "fast"
100*30 (1 point per second) = 300 frames to build Aurora = 30 seconds

This would be a great developement preparing for a future multiplayer mode, where people can chose theyr's fleet being balanced however.

I know that all the three things are very difficult to be programmed, but i think it's still possible (with GameMaker everything's possible :wink: )
The fleet maker would be probably symplyer, and making it first means that the RMplay would be faster, as i mentioned before.

I hope these ideas will be consired.
CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Some developement ideas

Post by CryoSleep »

Unfortunately, this game has died out a long time ago so there is 0.000001% chance that your ideas will be implemented, unless of course SS has time create unofficial versions of BSF with your ideas implemented.
Creations
Cryoware Enterprises, where ideas go
Cryoware Heavy Yards, Heavy ships
Delphinus Gulf Wars (Formerly War for the Universe)
Coalition of Terra
Quote of the occasion: It takes one man to change the world
KIU
Cadet

Post by KIU »

CryoSleep wrote:Unfortunately, this game has died out a long time ago so there is 0.000001% chance that your ideas will be implemented, unless of course SS has time create unofficial versions of BSF with your ideas implemented.
Who are "SS"? I would like to devolup this game by my self. Im a programer (not these genious but still programer). Just seeing all these posts and im very intrested, but im no so sure using the clear version. In update unofficial version updated (or something like that) im using the 6.7 sprits version, but i don't know if this is the version im had to use. Can you give me some help guy? Im want to make Novelty weapons too, couse there are some incompleted weapons im want to complete and you know, make some stuff.
KIU
Cadet

Post by KIU »

CryoSleep wrote:Unfortunately, this game has died out a long time ago so there is 0.000001% chance that your ideas will be implemented, unless of course SS has time create unofficial versions of BSF with your ideas implemented.
Who are "SS"? I would like to devolup this game by my self. Im a programer (not these genious but still programer). Just seeing all these posts and im very intrested, but im no so sure using the clear version. In update unofficial version updated (or something like that) im using the 6.7 sprits version, but i don't know if this is the version im had to use. Can you give me some help guy? Im want to make Novelty weapons too, couse there are some incompleted weapons im want to complete and you know, make some stuff.
-Desert-
Captain
Captain

Post by -Desert- »

Alright, after a look through this entire thing I'm trying to get everything together in my head. So far, the only thing I've completely understood is that 'Energy engine' thing. It's something I think has been emulated in some tournaments, but having something actually coded into the game to provide power would be pretty awesome.
Looking more closely the other part is very tasty to my brain for some reason. Especially the random map thing and what else you've written is interesting. As with the energy engine idea, it's been calculated by hand in tournaments and it's something that could be made to work with a lot of effort (and time).
Also, the fleet maker's interesting. There are a few things that wouldn't be too hard. Checking if the ship entered for starbase has 0 speed? Pfft, Shipmaker already goes nuts if you forget to set the target for Aegis Deflectors and Boosters :P

But, as CryoSleep said, this entire game is dead in terms of development, save for the elusive moments some people decide to like Starstruck have the time and will to make things happen.
Quite frankly I wonder why I ever began making ships for this. You see, my work never becomes quite as good as I feel it deserves to.
KIU
Cadet

Post by KIU »

@CryoSleep

Im have very interested in this game. Im just a newbie in programation but, Im sure I can try to devolup this one. Any way, first have to know one thing. I just download a version in the sprite update (6.7z, something like that), is this version the one a have to use?
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Only 3 people have the Source Code of the game. None of them are going to continue working on it. No, you can't have it.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.