How did they make MIRV and FighterBay?

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Sulkeis
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

How did they make MIRV and FighterBay?

Post by Sulkeis »

Did they obtain the source code to make it?
Ristyo
Captain
Captain

Re: How did they make MIRV and FighterBay?

Post by Ristyo »

Hmm, I don't know.
Oh and welcome back, I remembered when you posted that core sprite.
The Comerlian Family

Dammit, didn't realize Starsector is really hard.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

"They" is Starstruck, who is tj only individual given tbe source. You'd have to ask Th15, but the answer will probably be no.
naysayers will be shot
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

Doogie12 wrote:"They" is Starstruck, who is tj only individual given tbe source. You'd have to ask Th15, but the answer will probably be no.
No, he isn't.

Arca and Kaelis have been given the source, too.
"Quotes posted on the internet are hard to verify."
-Abraham Lincoln
DerpCactusDerp
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DerpCactusDerp »

That's still only 3 trusted and experienced people.

Besides, what the hell do you want with it? Are you a good GameMaker coder?
Anyway, good luck getting the source :3
Now working on those nice needle beamers. Beware!
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Lukasmah wrote:
Doogie12 wrote:"They" is Starstruck, who is tj only individual given tbe source. You'd have to ask Th15, but the answer will probably be no.
No, he isn't.

Arca and Kaelis have been given the source, too.
I felt that is a given, since they both played major parts in developing the edition of shipmaker that comes with the game. Starstruck is the only one to do the fighterbay+ editions.
naysayers will be shot
Sulkeis
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Sulkeis »

I know how he made the ships and the children from the looks of the save files. Looks like nSecA creates a new object, and the later arguments and functions simply add data to the newly created object until a new object is called for with another nSecA some lines down the road. Every part has its own unique ID that is probably based off of a global variable that increments every time a new part is made to make sure IDs don't mesh against each other. Every single part object is called to add their own ID to the text file, and their parent ID, all in the same line. nSecA/B/C/etc also have the parts' ID stored in it for loading the ship.

The ship probably loads the file not by executing it, but by reading every line as its own string and then doing magical crap with the string to turn it into a command. No idea how, but it's possible. I think I can definitely make something like this if not for all these ridiculous triggers, links, drivers, and hordes of settings that I'd have to put in to match this game, though... Would anyone really miss these complex drivers/links/modules/triggers/large hadron colliders?
Sulkeis
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Sulkeis »

AM I right th15? And how do you store children, if you even do? I only know of a way to make a child store its parent's data... :(
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

I don't want to be negative but that really doesn't qualify you to make a new shipmaker. That can be figured out with about 5 mins of looking at a .shp file, it literally took me more time to type this post up then it did to figure out the information in it. So:

nsec2a is a bunch of the basic edit tab information in this order: Position, Section sprite path, x & y scale, Angle, Health, Blending, Alpha, Something else I'm uncertain of.
The rest are trivial to figure out since they're shorter and for the most part easily identifiable with default numbers: nsec2b is rotation stuff, nsec2c is most of the effects (except blending which was covered in 2a), nsec2M is movement stuff, nsec2T is triggers and nsec2d seems to simply be set to 0,0 if the section is parented to the core or 0,1 if it's parented to another section.
Parenting is then handled below with nPar2 parent,child. Weapons I haven't looked at but I imagine they're much the same. And sb4s are pretty similar to the shp except they also store the section colour in nseca along with a couple other things I'm unsure of.

But my point is, if you're able to make a shipmaker and want to make one, make it. Worst case scenario you keep it to yourself or release it secretly or some junk. But note that being able to figure out the organization of a reasonably commented and straightforward file does not necessarily mean you make a user friendly program to write them. Also, if I recall correctly (and I may not) the original SM was made by game_boy rather than th15. Not to mention the game is free so I really doubt there's an issue.

(Forgot to address these points originally so I'll chuck it on at the end)
Also yes, it definitely parses the shp/sb4 file when it opens it, I don't think there's any other reasonable way to get the information. Just about anything saved on your computer is always gonna be a bunch text that only has meaning when it's read by the correct program. And making a shipmaker without all that stuff seems pretty pointless, if it's so feature incomplete then what's the point?
Sulkeis
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Sulkeis »

What's the point in not trying?
DerpCactusDerp
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DerpCactusDerp »

I think you should take it easy right now... Don't anger people when you've posted 8 things so far...
Now working on those nice needle beamers. Beware!
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

AFAIK, there are no plans to render the source code to anybody new (and there's no oldguard around with the right combination of coding skill and unadultered masochism anyway). However, as Doogie said, attempting to writing a new shipmaker from scratch should be perfectly fine, even if I doubt anything will come of it.
Sulkeis
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Sulkeis »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPXEsKfk ... e=youtu.be

Demonstrating the parenting system. I impress myself when I make all the buttons work from one object, and make deleted parts set its childrens' parents to its own parent.

The parts added to the inventory in the video aren't... The same. As in, you have a limited quantity of parts all stored in a data structure, not just whatever sprite you import (which won't be possible I presume, unless I make a sandbox version of the shipmaker). This ship maker will be used in-game for whatever the hell I'm making... I have no idea yet. I'm sorry for not sticking up to my word (and the fact that my mind changed quite quickly), but looking into the deepest of things, a custom shipmaker (one that works with BSF specifically) just won't happen.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

I am laying down a new rule. Any time a person posts in a thread to ask th15 about releasing the source code, or if they can have the source code, or anything similar, the thread in question will be locked, the poster in question given a warning, and in general I'll be really cranky.

Don't ask for the source. He's not going to give it to you. The answer will always be no. Always and forever. I am sick of this subject coming up.

Onto the subject at hand: Have fun with your thing, I guess?
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Sulkeis
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Sulkeis »

How about you quote me and show me specifically where I asked for the source code.