Hello There

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

XdwbX
Ensign
Ensign

Hello There

Post by XdwbX »

Short-time lurker, here. Decided to register to help bring a bit of activity.

Brief bio: My name is David. I live in Texas, just outside of Dallas. I'm 28. I'm left-handed. *thinks* I have O+ blood...

I found BSF a few weeks ago (roughly). I was having fun with the stock parts and triggers when I found the shiny sections. Now, I'm very interested in making ships that are not only nice to look at, but functional within their set theme. Triggers are still something that I'm determined to fully wrap my head around, and I'd like to thank everyone that posted guides for us newbies. They've been extremely helpful.

And, since it was mentioned, and I like the idea, I'll share what I'm working on, so that progress (if any :P) can be seen on a timescale.

This is meant to be a drone ship, and, for now, monochromatic.

With no target:
With target and weapons ready:

If there's anything that I'm doing that would be considered "ill-advised", I'd be very appreciative of any help, as this would be the best time to avoid slipping into a bad habit. Thanks for reading, and I look forward to seeing more incredible designs/ships. (Hopefully, one or two will be mine.)
Attachments
Drone 4.sb4
(7.03 KiB) Downloaded 666 times
Drone 4.shp
(6.37 KiB) Downloaded 661 times
robots rock
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Hello There

Post by robots rock »

(again) Take my advice with an ocean of salt....
If it is supposed to be functional, then what happens when one of my ships uses a torpedo or missile that curves around behind it?
The arms provide little protection and the core section will get hit, along with your centralised weapons.
If you put weapons on the moving parts of the arms and depth the weapons (w key - make sure you do it individually after mirroring or else you'll get bugs) then you should get a pretty good looking ship.

also, color would be nice. Pick a color, make your ships with that color, master it then try other colors.
Creator and Ruler of PACIV
Holy Elephant Poo! It works on my school internet!

Latooni: "I like to imagine every australian snipes for a living"

Keep your head down. I can see you from here.........
XdwbX
Ensign
Ensign

Post by XdwbX »

First, thanks for the reply.

I, originally, had a flare gun on the back, set to fire almost 180 degrees of the ship's facing.

And, there are weapons on the moving parts, with triggers that enable them when the part they're on reaches their rotation limit. They're set to turn off when the rotation moves reaches origin, but hasn't been too reliable, as of yet.

Lastly, this was meant to be a suicidal drone, but the kamikaze AI didn't work as I had expected; guns blazing, full-throttle, aimed at the enemy, crash, and self-destruct/blow up core.

Thanks for the advice about coloring, too.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

For future reference, this sort of thread would probably belong in the Custom Ships board, not the General Discussion one.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Netharis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Netharis »

Firstly, welcome to the forums (Ships belong under the "custom design & ships" subforum, by the way Looks like that's been covered).

I'll break down my criticism according to level of importance (In my opinion).
Fundamental:
The shading appears to be very inconsistent with some lighter sections appearing under darker ones, but that can be quickly remedied.
The one up for download has the shading a little better, but there are still some darker sections above lighter ones that don't seem to fit.
-More specifically, the shn082 (the brightest wing bits) don't look nice with the brighter section underneath. As it is, you should probably bring it to the top or darken it and leave it underneath.
-On the other hand, the triangular bits in the front middle are relatively fine due to the nature of the sprites themselves. Learning what does and doesn't work in this context will probably take some trial and error or a great amount of intuition.

Stylistic:
I find that the struts supporting the wings could be a bit beefier.
-It would also help with functionality, I guess; would make the wings more difficult to shoot off.

I'll leave comments regarding armament and triggers to someone else as I'm not too experienced in those areas.
XdwbX
Ensign
Ensign

Post by XdwbX »

@Anna: I apologize for the mix-up. This was, originally, just an intro thread, but I decided to go with the time-lapse of ship building. I'll double-think future threads to make sure they're placed as appropriately as I can.

@Netharis: Thanks for the tips. I didn't notice, until you mentioned it, the wing supports were thinner than they should be considering the heavier-appearing pieces on the wings themselves. I'll keep this in mind.