various tournament proposals

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Re: various tournament proposals

Post by jwa8402 »

wow guys, Anna and friends kinda pwned us...Thats okay, its my fault for not setting clearer guidelines. We can always restart if it becomes a tangled mess, but I think we could still come up with something good if we step it up.

Seriously though, try to keep in mind we want this to be huge so it can fight off a fleet, and that it would be nice if it looked decent too. I'd almost prefer a player placed sections without a design in mind, especially their own. The whole point is to see what you can do with what someone else left incomplete, while leaving room for the next person to express themselves. If you have to have a goal, make engines or a reactor or some specific part to be built onto by others, but don't make it too 'finished', ie hard to build on to.

I won't make it a rule right now because I don't have time to think it through properly, but try to use common sense in picking sections. A ship this large isn't going to look good if each person uses a different section pack and clusters them all together. Especially the sections that tend to look like crap because they have too much detail already, so try to see what fits good together. Just my two cents.
As it is, I like Bad Boy's core-like version to go forward with.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

It isn't so much that we 'pwned' you as that the Pseudo-Chainship format is easier to just grab and get into and also that I restricted section usage to sections that... well... to put it bluntly, sections that aren't crap. :lol: You can definitely still take this good places, and I agree that Bad Boy's core thing is probably the best way for you guys to go.

(Also you guys should totally join the Pseudo Chainship project too. :) )
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Well thanks for the moderately gushing praise.
Anyway, here are a couple of other versions (and one instance of redepthing at the back of the first version to match lines but I'm not sure whether it's better or worse). I had planned to really make an effort but there's not too much I can do. As is I went over the limit on both of the new versions by 3 or 4 anyway (both are the same in terms of how much over, it just depends a bit on how it's counted). The important thing is that they're both a lot less cluttered (mostly I got rid of clutter) and can hopefully be built upon. I'm posting the dls for all three here so LT can pick whichever one he wants to work off of.

They make a look a bit different then the pics as I accidentally overwrote one of them. Also, the tail fins on number 3 are supposed to be hitting the centre like they do in number 2, I just messed up and don't want to reupload. So LT if you use it feel free to do that without counting it to your action limit.
Version 1:
Chain D 1.png
Chain D 1.png (3.36 KiB) Viewed 5727 times
Version 2:
Chain D 2.png
Chain D 2.png (3.16 KiB) Viewed 5727 times
Version 3:
Chain D 3.png
Chain D 3.png (2.62 KiB) Viewed 5727 times
Download for all 3:
Chain Ship D.rar
(1.73 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
Anna: As for joining the pseudo chain ship, I'll probably join sometime. So far busyness or laziness has tended to quash my plans to do so.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

jwa8402 wrote:-We are not using shiny for this build.
hnnnnnnnnnng
Attachments
SMscreen06.png
SMscreen06.png (3.54 KiB) Viewed 5722 times
Chainship 004.rar
(9.27 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Don't have time to post a screenshot now, will in roughly two hours.
Chainship 1d4.zip
(13.65 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
SMscreen0278.png
SMscreen0278.png (8.16 KiB) Viewed 5712 times
naysayers will be shot
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Please don't let this die. D: It's actually looking pretty solid so far. Like, better than any other non-Pseudo Chainship ever. And better than almost anything the first Pseudo Chainship thread (which used the same kinda sprites) ever turned out. Come on guys, you can do it! ;_;
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Tis Tetrarch's turn. But I haven't seen him...ever...I didn't even realize he was a member. Kittenpillar, you can probably go ahead.
naysayers will be shot
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Yep, as of 7:33 Tetrach's turn finished so it's kittenpillar's turn now.
Jwa, you should probably cut the time limit down to two days or 1.5 days with an extension if needed. Just so we don't have to wait around for someone who doesn't even show up.

And kind words Anna, I'm glad it's turning out alright after the problems near the beginning.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Sorry guys, I was out of town for a few days. Ya that looks pretty darn cool Doogie, nice work! Kittenpillar go ahead and take your turn. We'll do as BB says and cut the time limit down to two days, but just say so if you need more time. I just glanced at the pseudo thread and had to pick up my jaw so lets see if we can't try for something that badass. I think next time we will definitely go with shiny sprites though; it was kind of a personal bias cuz I'm not so good with them but the finished product tends to speak for itself.
kittenpillar100
Commander
Commander

Post by kittenpillar100 »

I'm not dead!
Far from it indeed my friends, I have added to the harbringer known as: The Chainship!
2 sections removed, 2 added.

Please may one of you fill the holes! :)
Attachments
Chainship 1d4.zip
The beast for you to unleash!
(13.53 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
The beast in his pen.
The beast in his pen.
SMscreen070.png (9.04 KiB) Viewed 5632 times
I think the induction of "LOL" "OMG" and "<3" into the Oxford English Dictionary is a sign of the End Times. Only, instead of a rider on a pale horse, it'll be a gibberish-spewing spastic in a monster truck named "The Dildozer".
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

K just downloaded. Curious why you reverted it to default green though. Also you guys haven't been renaming the file. By my half awake count mine was 1h.

I tried to make it branch out a bit cuz it was getting cluttered but I'm sure someone else can do it better. I added 4 sections, two of which were centerline pieces and two mirrored. I also changed the shading slightly on one of the sections cuz it seems less tacked on so I counted that.
Its starting to look like my weird pigeon ship :lol:
Attachments
SMscreen09.png
Chainship 1h.zip
(1.4 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
kittenpillar100
Commander
Commander

Post by kittenpillar100 »

I didn't revert it, it opened up green. Also, guys, I think we should build up the front, it's getting a bit rear-end heavy. :|
I think the induction of "LOL" "OMG" and "<3" into the Oxford English Dictionary is a sign of the End Times. Only, instead of a rider on a pale horse, it'll be a gibberish-spewing spastic in a monster truck named "The Dildozer".
Wakerz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Wakerz »

Done, LOL missing sprites, I only added 3 sections because i was strapped for time
Attachments
SMscreen07.png
being a true soldier isn't about bravery or courage, it's about being in mortal terror constantly but fighting on regardless for your country and cause. Only in death does duty end.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Ah my bad, thought it was from a common pack but I was wrong.

And ya I was kinda trying to encourage some rear-wards building cuz at this point it needs to be getting bigger rather than over detailed but any direction is ok.
Attachments
Chainship 1h sprites.zip
(15.36 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Seiji, your turn is done but I didn't clue into that until now and I don't have time to build right now (I'm heading out in about 5 mins). So, I'm going to give you a bit of extra time. I'd estimate about 15 hours or so; if there's nothing by the time that's up, I'm going.