various tournament proposals

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Wakerz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: various tournament proposals

Post by Wakerz »

My turn is over, can't wait to see how this turns out :D.
Attachments
SMscreen02.png
SMscreen02.png (39.06 KiB) Viewed 6172 times
being a true soldier isn't about bravery or courage, it's about being in mortal terror constantly but fighting on regardless for your country and cause. Only in death does duty end.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

@BB hmm good point. If people can agree on a general color scheme now, then each builder can color their sections appropriately as they add them. I sure as hell shouldn't be the one to decide on it since I usually just use grays.

@Wakerz Nice, but a few things. 1 thats probably my fault, did you add 5 sections total or 5 on one side then mirror them? I was assuming it would be 5 total but again thats open to debate. 2 wheres the download?
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Well greys would probably be the best thing to work with for sure, perhaps just a pallette of white to dark grey going in increments of 50. Then accents or total colour changes can be done afterwards depending on how the ship turns out. The problem with picking something more colourful is that it'll probably influence the design of the ship. If people picked aquamarine blues or greens or purple colours etc. it would likely end up looking more curvy and alien than it would have otherwise.

As for sections, personally I had assumed it was 5 and then mirror since adding 5 including mirroring would lead to asymmetry unless everyone built along the centreline or only used 4/2 pieces. For what it's worth, I did suggest you clarify that a few posts ago :D
Wakerz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Wakerz »

five then i mirrored, oops. and i PMed the dwnload to the next guy. I'll post it when i get a chance
being a true soldier isn't about bravery or courage, it's about being in mortal terror constantly but fighting on regardless for your country and cause. Only in death does duty end.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

A solution to the coloring is that we keep it at greyscale (or puke green or whatever) and when we call it done, we each download and provide our own color schemes. Then a third party--presumably you jwa--decides on which scheme to use.
naysayers will be shot
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

lol ok my bad guys, I know I'm rather indecisive but I didn't want to scare people away. I also didn't think that part through, so your right about the mirroring. Additionally I like the ideas you guys posted about color. Hence rule clarification:

-Each player may add 5 sections to one side, then mirror those which are not on the center line.
-Players may color their sections using basic shades of grey. Try to keep colors out for now as it was aptly pointed out this may affect design. Try to make your shading vibe with what others have done, and we will add coloring once the structure is mostly finished.

Wakerz, pming the download to the next person is actually great, I just wanted to make sure it gets to them somehow. Thanks!
seiji09
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by seiji09 »

added 4 sections, one's in the middle though... ^^

just pm'ed Bad Boy, guess we'll just wait for him.
Attachments
chainship 1c
chainship 1c
SMscreen00.png (7.87 KiB) Viewed 6147 times
My ships aren't overpowered, they're just... Extremely Efficient! XD
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Forgive me for my bluntness, but so far that thing blows. Hope I don't have to explain why.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

What do you suggest we do to fix it? Remember you can remove sections...Would not allowing certain section packs help?
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Unfortunately he's right. Aside from being pretty bland and lacking in detail, it's already too directed. As is it's already a ship design, which is a problem for building off of because anything added would really looked tacked on to a smaller hull, which can work in some situations but wouldn't in this. What we should be doing right now (I think) is building up an interesting looking hull that's easy to build off of and doesn't restrict any build directions.
I also think that some sections should be used very sparingly, now that I look. The later generic sections 57+ and a lot of the mecha sections look good until you start laying them all over a ship, at which point it becomes a bland yet somehow cluttered mess of lines and such.
I've done a quick, 3 minute thing moving sections around and deleting some (I'm sorry guys for deleting all your stuff). I'm not actually happy with it as it's honestly pretty shit and it's not my submission by any means (I think it went over the deletion limit by 1 anyway) but I think it's an example of an unfinished design that's easier to work off of (assuming you treat it as a centre/core thing and build off of that, I think it's still too directed though). It's also less cluttered and (in my opinion) more interesting. Of course I'm probably biased ;)

So, version given to me (in grey):
Chain C.png
Chain C.png (5.05 KiB) Viewed 6118 times
My quick and temporary version:
Chain D quick.png
Chain D quick.png (3.22 KiB) Viewed 6118 times
Anyway, that aside, I think it might be a good idea to pick a direction for the ship from the start (eg. industrial-terran looking, short but wide, glowy core, massive engines, other descriptives along that line). Then people can base their section and design choice off of that. Of course I may be wrong, I ended up missing both of the other chainships (if I recall correctly) so I may not know what I'm talking about with any of this post :D
Wakerz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Wakerz »

yeah in retrospect it already looks kinda "finished" to me, oh well.

@Bad boy: that does look much more workable and I second having a design idea in mind before we go much farther.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

I'd still have to agree with STARSTRUCK here, but i'll see what i'm do. It's already a cluttered mess.

(Still here)
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Yeah, there's not much I can do about the clutter LT, I already went over my removal/move limit as is.
Wakerz, do you want to post up your second design? If it's better we can move back to it and get seiji to work from there.
Wakerz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Wakerz »

Could you clarify what you mean by that?
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Wow, I completely misread your post, I thought it said that you had a second design in mind, not that you seconded having a design in mind. Don't I feel like an idiot.
Anyway, I'll try and take another crack at this later today (I don't have time right now), see if I can make something a bit better. Either way, LT I should have a version for you within 6 hours tops.