error on startup

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

error on startup

Post by jwa8402 »

So I recently reinstalled windows XP and since then haven't been able to load the game. Shipmaker works fine. I get the following error when loading BSF: Failed to initialize BGM - Invalid device number.
Things I have tried:
-Restarting
-Reinstalling the game- from different download locations and installing in different directories.
-Running as administrator; not the primary that installed windows.
-deleting some of the .dlls as suggested in several of the help threads, though I think those were slightly different problems.
I've searched the forum a bit, but almost every reference I find for this involves Vista. I'm assuming its some default setting that got reset when I reinstalled and its been too long since the last time for me to remember. I've been running BSF on this computer almost as long as I've been playing it. I am having an issue updating my audio driver but I wouldn't have thought that would affect loading. Any advice is appreciated.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Re: error on startup

Post by Anna »

Well this is... weird. You said you've just reinstalled Windows XP. Have you installed Service Pack 3? Have you got all the up-to-date drivers and everything? I honestly don't have any clue what the problem is, I'm just tossing shit out there and trying to see what sticks.

I honestly have no idea how you might solve the problem if neither of those things work and all the other stuff you tried didn't work. Hopefully th15 or someone else who knows what the problem is will be able to help.

Also this thread is in the wrong board. :P Should've been in the Bug Reports thread, or the General Discussion board, as it does not pertain to Shipmaker or Shipmaking or helping with either.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Doh sorry I meant to post in General discussion but was apparently paying more attention to what I was writing than where. Feel free to move it if your able because I'll probably get more responses.The bug reports thread appears to be locked though unless I'm seeing the wrong one. As far as I know all the drivers are up to date but that does seem the most likely culprit so I will check again because obviously I'm not running on all cylinders today...
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Thread moved. Hope you're able to get BSF working again, jwa.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

I have no idea.

Try setting the music volume in the config to 0, that might help.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Interesting. I changed the config and no longer get the error message but the game loads the menu screen then freezes with no message. Thats further than I was before at least so thanks.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Then it's probably due to the outdated audio driver. Or have you managed to update that?
If that's not the problem then if you haven't already done so you could try turning the various options like surfaces etc. off (either all at once or 1 at a time) and see if it helps.
Good luck, you're one of the few long-time members still here and still reliably building, it'd be a shame if you can't anymore.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Yea seems like a problem with the sound system which is fairly odd. Changing the ini file like arca said should prevent the background music dll from being loaded but it makes no sense that it still freezes then. Care posting what sound card you're using? It's most likely onboard AC '97 or something like that.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Seems to have been a driver issue. I couldn't get my sound card to show up on my system so it wasn't actually updating it even though the driver utility ran...Thanks for the help guys!